Gas prices

big_bill

Just in time for the holidays and riden season, gas over $3.05 a gallon and $3.15 for premium. Don't ya just love it? Think Obama wanting to extend the tax cuts for the poor and not the rich have anything to do with it? Wat a bunch of doo doo!

mjkaliszak

You know I feel it's the great holiday gouge ! Gas up, Cigs up, next will be booze ( I don't drink ) it's like everyone has to get theirs.... The price of gas doesn't effect my plans it just bothers me that I get the feeling " US " consumers are being squeezed for every last cent. I have watched the manager of the corner " BIG corporation " gas station / convenience store, send her troops out to gather information on what the competition is charging for gas . I don't know what happens next , do they call it in to a district for a decision to raise them or make that themselves BUT... it almost seems like " collusion " ! I thought was illegal ? What happened 3 months ago in the "gulf" that warrants this price increase ? I don't remember everything. How can all the gas station prices go up together ?

1-snowbullet

Just took a trip from centeral Wi. -to lower mich to pick up some parts from a junk dealer for a sled we are restoring .. prices here were 2.92 a gallon as we went along i seen prices as low as 2.87 and before Mackanack bridge 3.09 a gallon as we entered lower Michagan they went to 2.92-2.99 a gallon . it was sad to see all the different prices of gas out there .. the motel wasent bad they said 69 bucks a night after all in all 75 bucks a night .. they said we were luckey it wasent snowmobile season yet they get 125. bucks a night ... whats up with that .. Well needless to say 1000 mile trip 3 fill ups a truck load of old rare snowmobile parts and time with the wife PRICELESS.. and even still had gas left over ..

jr37

Right here in the Wausau area I think that the company that owns the majority of the gas stations dictates the price. Just this past week gas was 7 cents cheaper in Stratford, about 30 miles away. The station by Brokaw was also 7 cents less than Wausau, and thats only a couple miles away. It's sad that a monopoly can set the price and so many others follow. I do my best to not buy from this company in question, but they supply so many others that it is very hard to totally avoid them.

G

G

As the money supply continues to be diluted we can expect these kinds of things. It is only going to get worse. Energy and food are not used in the inflation equation. Remember - there is hardly any inflation according to the talking heads and the Fed. What a crock.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did anybody notice when the latest big increase happened? When the fed bought 600 billion in treasury bonds, which lowered the value of the dollar. When the value of the dollar decreases, the speculators invest their money in oil, and the price goes up. It has nothing to do with supply and demand anymore, nothing to do with holiday seasons, or peak driving times, these are the reasons they give us, but they are not the real reasons. As someone who puts on almost 1300 miles a month, and a wife who puts on close to a 1000, just to get to work and back, I REALLY HATE high gas prices. The more we spend on gas, the less we spend on other items. The economy cannot handle really high gas prices, that has already been proven.

slimcake

Did anybody notice when the latest big increase happened? When the fed bought 600 billion in treasury bonds, which lowered the value of the dollar. When the value of the dollar decreases, the speculators invest their money in oil, and the price goes up. It has nothing to do with supply and demand anymore, nothing to do with holiday seasons, or peak driving times, these are the reasons they give us, but they are not the real reasons. As someone who puts on almost 1300 miles a month, and a wife who puts on close to a 1000, just to get to work and back, I REALLY HATE high gas prices. The more we spend on gas, the less we spend on other items. The economy cannot handle really high gas prices, that has already been proven.

Well said and RIGHT ON!! The continued decreasing value of the dollar has real extreme downsides. This is a scary time for all Americans. If you figure it costs your family 150 dollars more a month to compensate for gas when the price goes up do you think there is an extra 150 in your paycheck?? Heck no. There is nothing worse for a struggling economy then high energy prices..... The federal reserve is corrupt and should be closed. I am a very nervous American these days but will still find a way to keep my streak of 3000 mile seasons on my sled......

Stack

Funny I was just thinking about this the other day. Usually as we get twords the end of December our gas prices are the lowest of the year, but this year it just keeps ticking up; 3.19 in the burbs and 3.49 downtown chicago. Really throughout this entire recession gas prices have remained quite high in contrast the country's economic condition. It just makes me wonder what is going to happen when the economy really starts to pick back up, how high will our gas prices be then?

Stack

Cat Woman

I know we're talking gas here but I about choked when I had to fill my truck up last night, diesel was $3.29/gallon. Needless to say I didn't fill 'er up all the way up.

dcsnomo

When the dollar declines, it makes U.S. produced goods cheaper and more competitive when compared to foreign produced goods. This could help increase U.S. exports, boosting economic growth. However, it also leads to higher oil prices, since oil is priced in dollars. Whenever the dollar declines, oil producing countries may raise the price of oil to maintain profit margins in their local currency.

As the Fed implements quantitative easing, our products become more affordable to foreign buyers. Unfortunately, imports become more expensive to us, and imports represent 18% of our economy. So, a declining dollar is like a price advance on 18% of our economy, and oil is an imported product.

dcsnomo

. How can all the gas station prices go up together ?

The reason all the gas stations go up at the same time is that they all pay the same for the same gas from the same truck. Refineries are geographic, the same product from the same refinery goes to all the stations in the area.

It's not like Coke and Pepsi with a Coke truck and a Pepsi truck. The gas truck goes to the BP station, across the street to Fleet Farm, over to the Shell station, and on and on.

dcsnomo

Just in time for the holidays and riden season, gas over $3.05 a gallon and $3.15 for premium. Don't ya just love it? Think Obama wanting to extend the tax cuts for the poor and not the rich have anything to do with it? Wat a bunch of doo doo!

Just to be clear, there are several additional levels of earnings between "poor and rich". The proposed extension of the Bush tax cuts is not for the poor, it is for ALL taxpayers earning less than $200,000 for an individual and $250,000 for a family. I would not classify all individuals earning less than $200,000 "poor".

1-snowbullet

One of our stations is at 2.99 a gallon down the steet its 2.94 with a 5 cent discount .. at our local fl farm 2.88 without a 4 cent discount and next to that is quick trip at a wopping 2.88 there are so many different prices around wausau wi . .

ezra

Just to be clear, there are several additional levels of earnings between "poor and rich". The proposed extension of the Bush tax cuts is not for the poor, it is for ALL taxpayers earning less than $200,000 for an individual and $250,000 for a family. I would not classify all individuals earning less than $200,000 "poor".

as a small biz owner I do not file as a corp I will get f ed 200g is operating cost alone.and I dont get this BS extending a tax cut will cost money F that spending money costs money. steeling my money dose not cost money.if I dont go to work I dont loose money I just dont make any money so that is money I cant spend. I am not that far from pulling the legit plug no license no workers comp no unemployment insurance that I pay but cant get. no social security that I will never see. no building lease. no million dollar policies. no extra insurance for "work trucks trailers"no future mandatory health insurance. no 35 page manditory subcontractor forms. just a few more pushes and I will be cash only me my self and I and the sad part is I will prob make more money.

Last edited:

rmk4ever

as a small biz owner I do not file as a corp I will get f ed 200g is operating cost alone.and I dont get this BS extending a tax cut will cost money F that spending money costs money. steeling my money dose not cost money.if I dont go to work I dont loose money I just dont make any money so that is money I cant spend I am not that far from pulling the legit plug no license no workers comp no unemployment insurance that I pay but cant get no social security that I will never see no building lease no million dollar policies no extra insurance for "work trucks trailers"no future mandatory health insurance no 35 page manditory subcontractor forms just a few more pushes and I will be cash only me my self and I and the sad part is I will prob make more money.

I'm in the same boat as EZRA!