Gas Prices

polarisrider1

Houghton lake, $.47 yes forty seven cents a gallon.

Grand Rapids, Michigan $1.55 a gallon and dropping.
Lansing Speedway are $1.50

garyl62

Saw that about Houghton Lake on the national news. After the taxes, there can't be much left. The news said it was a good old fashioned gas war that was driving the price down.

polarisrider1

Saw that about Houghton Lake on the national news. After the taxes, there can't be much left. The news said it was a good old fashioned gas war that was driving the price down.

Ya. It was 54 cents across the street.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't 30-40 cents of it tax? ??

garyl62

Just just looked it up, federal excise tax is $0.18, Michigan excise tax is $0.19, then Michigan charges regular sales tax on the purchase price. I'm guessing the purchase price is around $0.17 a gallon before all the taxes.

jebjk1

Just just looked it up, federal excise tax is $0.18, Michigan excise tax is $0.19, then Michigan charges regular sales tax on the purchase price. I'm guessing the purchase price is around $0.17 a gallon before all the taxes.
I really doubt that is true. It was a temporary gas war between stations. They were losing money on the gas they sold.

ezra

now that the great one :rolleyes: lifted sanctions on Iran even though the rest of the UN is not on board . that will deff keep speculators at bay for some time just knowing a chit ton of oil is ready to hit the world market .

sweeperguy

I have a friend who owns a pretty steady metro station he says all the time the gov makes more on a gal than the station

Way back when I ran service stations we used to sell gas at or below what we paid for it, to make money on cig and c-store items. Also to get them to feel they are regular customer. To use our garage services when they're needed.

ezra

You would be hard pressed to find a gas station/garage around these parts. Money is in C store items. Cigs and beer, grill items and green meat samiches.

they are missing out. I have a 2 buds in that racket with some pretty nice lives and clean soft hands