Getting back into sledding after 20 + years....need advice

michaelbbbb

I'm getting back into sledding after being away from it for a bunch of years. Started riding some buddies machines last season, and have been bitten by the bug pretty good. Need some advice on machines in the $3000 range that will meet my needs...at least for now.
Will be riding mostly trail, with a bit of back-country as well. I ride fairly aggressive, but too old for serious ditch-banging. Weight is 200lb. Some things I'm looking for in a sled are:
Something in 600 or 800 class. good handling, especially in rough trails. reliable. reverse is a must and e-start would be nice in case I want to hand this sled over to wife someday. I'm assuming my budget puts me in the 2000-2005 model years.....I don't have a particular brand loyalty, as I can see plus and minus to lots of different machines...so without starting a chevy vs. ford discussion here, any suggestions for me to narrow down my search for good sleds in my price range?

youve been out of sledding for twenty yrs but yet you say you ride fairly aggressive. wow, wished i could do that after being out for twenty years. I've never left sledding, but each year I slow down, maybe its just me, got to come home to my business to keep things going. Sorry I didn't really answer your question. GO POLARIS. TAB

dooeragain

Welcome back!! I did just what you did for 12 yrs. Now I'M sleding again, lots of fun!! I found a 2005 550f rev with 800 miles on it for $3000 2 yrs. ago. It will run with almost al sleds through the twisty but tops out at 80 on the speedo on the longer straight runs. I will be looking to go larger in a year and it will be a 4 stroke if I like my sons new one. Cant wait to try his so I can start looking. Hope you find a great deal!!!!

indy_500

sounds like a 136"-144" is in your best interest. Maybe a Switchback, Renegade, or Crossfire 600?

michaelbbbb

Thanks guys.....these are some of my thoughts too...been looking at the 136" tracks for the off trail and to ease the bumps on my old bones.
Toddspolaris, when I say aggressive, I mean aggressive for an almost 50 yr. old guy...which probably isn't too exciting for some people.... plus I've been off roading some sort of vehicles all my life...so I was just trying to let people know I didn't want a 440cc fan with pink stripes...<g> I really appreciate the quick responses. It's good to know what works from people that have put some time on their machines...
thanks again,
Mike

brown50rn

I love the skidoo renegade, longer track, handles the rough trails awesome and is great for off trail as well. You wont be dissappointed. I am on my second one

polarisrider1

Mike,mike mike. Now watch what you say. I am pushing 50 and I have had 22 to 26 yr. olds wet themselves after riding with me. it's not an age thing. It is experience and a passion to ride. 20 yrs off a sled is a long time. A 600 switchback would work well for you. Carter go easy on the youngster he is only pushing 50. lol

booondocker

Since you have been out of sledding for so long, the world has changed in sledding. What was once just a dream, of a 4 stroke sled is now reality with all makers making at least one version of the machine.

So you have to ask yourself, if you want to keep with the old world and run a two stroke, or go with the new wave and try a 4 stroke.

4's tend to be a bit heavier, but that rarely means much if you know how to drive the sled and can learn how to handle one with that slight limitation. All sleds are too heavy when you are 50 and gett'n back into sledding so it is all about technique and where you plan on riding.

When both versions of sleds have come a very long way since the days you drove them around "agressively", you might want to try a 4 stroke to see if you like it. They come with electric start and most have reverse which I only laugh at guys who don't have that feature knowing they have to muscle a sled around on a dead end 2 track.

No smoke is another reason to take a look at the 4 stroker. Starting those sleds in an enclosed trailer can shorten your life if you are running a two stroke sled. $3k might limit you to 2 stroke, but for a few hundred more, it could put you into a nice 4 and you could become addicted to something you never thought possible before.

In the final analysis, sometimes the deal on a sled can dictate what you get and really you can't go to far wrong...no matter what you get. Main thing is gett'n out there again and realizing what you have missed over the last 20 some years. Good luck with whatever you buy...but make sure you enjoy.

snoeatr

Why not start looking at all used brands and a 136-144. Let the good deal you find make your decision. If you plan on going 2 stroke, a 600 has great power and a very good trail sled. The horsepower and torque have come a long ways over the years with the technology. If you come across a good deal on a 700 or 800, go for it.

ezra

I would stay away from 800 doo's in the 3k range a lot of guys including myself had crank issues in the 800 late 90 to mid 2000 doo's.the liberty switch is a good solid sled.for my money I would call Thomas sno sports in MN he has a 05 m6 141 with less than 200 mi for like 3600 no reverse but great off trail sled.the zr's can be had very cheep now days the best trail sled I ever owned was a 03 zl with smart ride and a 136 1.5 track. most of the zl come with rev and allot with electric start the cat 800 is bullet proof and can be made very fast for cheep.never a good ride but very reliable even with 10000k+mi are the yami 700 and 600 3 cyl.boon seed look in to 4 stroke I think in the 3 k range you will be very disappointed in what you get a non turbo 660 is about as much fun as a donkey and cart.Even a 660 turbo is only like 125hp with over 100 lbs over the zr counter part.you may find a beat down rx1 but for 3k prob rough they do have great top end if you got the room to stretch there legs the speedo just keeps climbing.but why buy used when you can spend 2500 or so more for new non current.the longer you Waite with no snow the cheaper they will get .this summer I got a new 04 f7ext for 4500 bucks a bud got a 04 f7 new for 4200 I know some one else who within the last mo got a 04 1M 900 153 for 4800.the deals are out there and even financeable.try heinins in osseo MN country cat buy st cloud rvsports thief river thomassnosports Kens in wi.I would never buy anoter used sled unless I know the guy well selling it

dab102999

I would think after being out of it for this long anything you put yourself on will be good. Doo wise keep in mind a 500 SS is basically a 600. You can usually pick one of those up a little cheaper. I would really consider raising your spending limit a little and get something as new or newer then 05. In the 70's and 80's and even into the 90's it took on average 5 years to drastically change the way a sled handles. Now there is a major diference in ride in 2 years difference in age. Don't matter if it is an 01 or a 09 they cost the same to work on...Also if you decide to sell and upgrade in 3 years it will be easier to sell a sled 6 or 7 years old then one 11 or 12 years old.

michaelbbbb

All good points guys...I appreciate the advice.
dab102999, I hear what you are saying....I'm trying to pull some extra $$ together to get into something a little newer so it's more of a keeper. I realize you get what you pay for.
My problem is that the more I learn, the more I want! That's why I'm trying to set a dollar limit on myself on the first sled. Seems like I can get in the game for $3k-$4k....but I know myself well enough to know this will likely escalate into a full blown addiction. thanks again everyone...this helps.

polarisrider1

You will need some good Klim wear and a way cool helmet,etc., etc, etc. and a trailer, and this, and that. Welcome back to the sledding world. Just take Baby steps with it.

whitedust

A Doo Rev 600 or 800 Renegade is in your price range but rings & cranks are a big problem but the best handling sleds of that era for your price range. If you had more bucks I would try an 06 & up Yamaha Apex Attack GT or Apex LTXGT & have the enjoyment of 4s & not worry about engine failures. Stay with 136 1.25 track with any sled you buy for your style. Welcome back.

dab102999

I see by your profile you are new to the site, I don't know where all you are looking. And there is nothing wrong with looking at a dealer for new non current, but besides the classifieds on here there are a lot of sites to see a lot of sleds, totally yamaha, doo talk, sled swap. Also can go to white star auction web site and they have a listing of prices for previous year's auction. If you really know what you are looking for and going prices then auction ain't bad place to go. But if you ain't real familiar with the sled and bigger yet don't know what to look for to be wrong with one I would avoid having that be your first purchace experiance.

G

G

Switchback, Crossfire or Renegade. 600 cc's is all you really need for reintroduction. You won't get much of a four stroke for your price range. 800's will give you more grief generally speaking. Also a little heavier for your 50 year old body to dig out should you encounter operator error. We have come a long ways in 20 years. Enjoy.