Groomer stuck just a little

booondocker

Wow....I find it amazing that it was able to get back up on top of the ice at all. I expected it to crack and break ice all the way to the shore. That is one heavy piece of equipment and to climb out of the hole and onto the ice is certainly an amazing statement about how much pressure you can put on ice and have it hold.

Remember that what allows the weight of machine to be supported by the ice is the fact that ice has air in it and that it acts like a giant sheet of Styrofoam with some support to extend the weight out over a larger area than say Styrofoam could allow. Once the machine stopped and the ice continued to sag, eventually it would not be able to support the load and that is when it sinks.

Great video...and I bet they won't be running that piece out there ever again.

jr37

Thanks to you guys that kept us posted with pictures, it has been a great thread to follow.

I hope that for all clubs making trails possible, that we don't get to follow a thread like this next year.

johndeere

I heard a rumer in town that the trail will be moved to go around the edge of the swamp next year. That was the first time the groomer has been down that part of the trail this year; usually it turns around before the swamp. The groomer went off the trail a little ways to scoop up some snow to dump on the trail because it was looking pretty icy and the ice wasn't thick enough off the trail because it wasn't packed down enoghf so frost couldn't set in. My two cents.

racinfarmer

thought i posted it already, but it's tom's backhoe. he has already been pd for it by the insurance company and bought it back. i heard it was coming out monday and i'm leaving for glamis californa tomorow to ride the dunes. i hope snowizard will be able to get there and take some pics of it

I'm going to have to call and pick on him tomorrow. Thought it looks familiar.:D

favoritos

I heard a rumer in town that the trail will be moved to go around the edge of the swamp next year. That was the first time the groomer has been down that part of the trail this year; usually it turns around before the swamp. The groomer went off the trail a little ways to scoop up some snow to dump on the trail because it was looking pretty icy and the ice wasn't thick enough off the trail because it wasn't packed down enoghf so frost couldn't set in. My two cents.

I'm not surprised on the bold. We had heavy snow early in the season around here and the ground never did freeze under the untouched early snow. It is kind of surprising to dig under the snow and find muddy dirt. Maybe that will help alleviate some of the spring flooding? Time will tell.

lookin4snow

Figures

And the first comment in the blog beneath the article is a tree hugger complaining that groomers shouldn't be allowed in wetlands/swamps. Blind/uninformed hugger = danger to our sport. Hopefully it stops right there.

mulchatna

And the first comment in the blog beneath the article is a tree hugger complaining that groomers shouldn't be allowed in wetlands/swamps. Blind/uninformed hugger = danger to our sport. Hopefully it stops right there.

That wingnut comments on every article in the Brainerd paper. He's got nothing better to do with his day. I'm sure he's never been on a sled.