Hancock MI and north

rtrev

Trying to get one last ride in this year. Can anyone give me an update on trail conditions north of the bridge? Staying in Hancock at the Ramada.
Thanks in advance!!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I would consider staying even further north, say from Calumet north. Getting out of Hancock itself is not going to be fun. It's only about a 1/2 mile of trail you have to go down, but is pretty much bare in town. Just outside of town, there is snow and with the exceptions of the road riding needed in other small towns (Eagle Harbor, Copper Harbor, etc...), you will not have to deal with bare trails.

Check the Trail Cam 2 to see what things are like just north of Calumet. For the most part, that is what you will find, with perhaps a few patches that you might have to dodge.

Not much melting on tap for this week, in fact we may get as much as we lose.

Its not pristine, mid winter, but we are one the final places left to ride, so you just have to plan to have a good time despite.

-John

CatsOnly

Thanks for the update John, we are also trying to get up there for one last ride this weekend. Any snow in forecast for this week after this rain? Forecast graphics still from friday for me. Thanks for your hard work!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry.

I forgot to upload the forecasts. They are now. A little bit of snow later today and tonight and possibly again by the end of the week or Saturday, but nothing major.

-John

piekar

Is it still possible to ride from South range to Hancock? I'm thinking about staying in south range

scottiking

You could ride from South Range north? Right now the road crossings look nasty and getting through South Range and all those weird intersections and Hancock and up along M26 past Dollar bay look nasty!
If a few inches fall and the temps being cooler than last week it would make all the difference in the world! Right now it would be harsh in those areas!
If it were me I would ride towards Greenland from South Range,Freeda loop, maybe take 3 to 13 and run that 37 mile loop to Greenland and then maybe the next day throw it on the trailer and drop by Calumet or north of that like John said!
If we get some new snow you could not worry about anything!
Spring riding can be a blast!
I'm planning on riding n April still!
Fingers crossed!

Scottiking OUT

larboc

The trails still have ice or snow on them. Trail is gone going through hancock on the upper grade, but remember that the lower grade to dollar bay-lake linden-calumet stays fine starting at the ramada almost as long as any other trail, I always see people grinding their carbides all the way to the upper grade for no reason. Portage is super sketchy unless you go fast enough to skip water. Judging by trail crossings, I'd guess at least a foot of ice/snow on the trails still.

L

lenny

You could ride from South Range north? Right now the road crossings look nasty and getting through South Range and all those weird intersections and Hancock and up along M26 past Dollar bay look nasty!
If a few inches fall and the temps being cooler than last week it would make all the difference in the world! Right now it would be harsh in those areas!
If it were me I would ride towards Greenland from South Range,Freeda loop, maybe take 3 to 13 and run that 37 mile loop to Greenland and then maybe the next day throw it on the trailer and drop by Calumet or north of that like John said!
If we get some new snow you could not worry about anything!
Spring riding can be a blast!
I'm planning on riding n April still!
Fingers crossed!

Scottiking OUT

I like your optimism brother!

jimmyj

I was up this past weekend. In town by the bridge and the Ramada going north is a no go. We trailered to Calumet by the Amercinn and launched from there. There was plenty of snow but the trails were very bumpy. Too warm too groom. Only a few wet spots. I would bet that with the colder temps they could get a groomer out and it would be good to very good conditions again. As long as they can get some colder weather and get a groomer out there, I say go for it.

Snirtdawg

Three of us are giving it a go and hope for the best!

"If it were me I would ride towards Greenland from South Range, Freeda loop, maybe take 3 to 13 and run that 37 mile loop to Greenland and then maybe the next day throw it on the trailer and drop by Calumet or north of that like John said!"

Scottiking I am following your instincts, Friday south and Saturday north.

loriwlrc

we rode Sun.the trail from Toivola to tressels was perfect, no traffic smooth as a table top. groomers are out today up north and past the Wildlife Refuge Cabins, Superior Snowmobile Club will be grooming tomorrow ,trails 13 is good up to the logging area as well as 109, the trail to the tressels was groomed and will be again. 2' to 3' still in the woods, creeks and rivers are starting to open, went to check out 3 local water falls and they are still ice covered. SNOW will change everything for sure let's hope for the ST. Patty's day blast.

scottiking

This report from the MSA today 3-17-15:

This is the Keweenaw trail system report for Tuesday, March 17, 2015.
The snowmobile trails from Twin Lakes to Copper Harbor are open. The groomers are out. The trails are in late season condition.
Any trail usage should be done with extreme care as there are rocks, stumps, branches, and wet areas not covered by snow and hazards that have not yet been identified. In town areas and road crossings are bare.
Trail 122 to Gay is closed for logging until further notice. Alternate routes to Gay are trails 124 and 133.
Remember to watch out for the groomers when you’re out on the trails, they have the right of way!!
The Keweenaw Convention & Visitors Bureau asks that you stay on the trails, STAY OFF THE ICE, respect private property, do not drink and drive, and above all else, please, drive safely. The signs on the snowmobile trails are there for the riders’ safety. Please, DO NOT remove or destroy these signs.
Please be aware that if you snowmobile on U.S. Coast Guard property you could face federal trespass charges.
Snowfall & Weather Report:
Houghton county – 12 inches on the ground, 168.25 inches fallen to date as of 3/12/15.
Keweenaw county – 27 inches on the ground, 237 inches fallen to date as of 3/16/15.
Today's forecast: Mostly sunny, high 35, low 19
Tomorrow’s forecast: Mostly sunny, high 35, 21
Thursday: 20% chance of rain, high 42, low 34
Friday: Mostly cloudy with a 40% chance of snow, high 37, low 12
Saturday: Partly cloudy, high 18, low 9

simonsr1

going up on saturday.
does anyone know for sure if the loop from the ramada to lake linden is ok? and north from there?
thanks

CatsOnly

just talked to trailside lodge in calumet. Has riders saying excellent ride tuesday, trails flat, cant get through houghton, start in calumet

Snirtdawg

Great news and John and others are calling for a little additional white stuff for Friday night and Saturday. Can't wait!

attack_06

Well in the next week lets hope houghton gets 6-8 in and I'm goin up on the 27 th for last ride gonna stay cold for a while now