Hancock MI and north

CatsOnly

Sleds loaded on trailer, should we go up to calumet and ride the keweenaw? Or wait till next weekend? Thoughts? Anyone been north of Hancock to gay? Linden? Brockway covered? Thanks in advance, gotta make up our minds soon

baughcat

In my honest opinion you should think twice about coming up to ride. We rode Tuesday. Wednesday and today was by far the most deteriorated trail conditions. Brockway mountain not so good, copper harbor bare roads and trail 135 bare 1/2 mile out of town, 134 mostly whoops doesn't flatten out till it connects with 3. Bare spots in Mohawk and only saw one group of 4 sleds all day. Hate to be to be the bearer of bad news but the trails are disappearing fast.

garyl62

Jim, did you and Darby take 133 or 124 recently? I'm still coming up and trying to look for some places to ride that keep me out of most of the towns without doing a lot of just back and forth on the same trail.

bmpskier1

There are no good trails, unless you want to ride off trail, and logging roads as there is still plenty of snow out there.. but be my guest and come on up..

We were up this weekend. I have a place in Mass city. We started on trail 13 from Pats north and it was toast, so we rode the powerlines back to M26 and crossed through the woods back to 3. We rode to Krupps and the trail was like a freeway. The snow was hard as a rock, so we were stopping to keep things cool, even with Scratchers. Rode back down and the trails were good to the firesteel bridges, then they were sketchy back down to Mass City. I headed home today, but the rest of the group drove up to Calumet and unloaded and road to Copper harbor. They said the trails had been groomed and they were the only tracks on them. Gave them a 10 out of 10. We are normally back country only, but the snow was just too crusty and the sun didn't soften it up enough to even explore off trail. Plus we had a couple kids on their first big ride... I would say that if there is a little fresh snow, head north past the bridge in Houghton. Probably fine for a bit. Remember that trails close the end of March, but the Main trails that are all purpose are open all year. Last year we rode at the end of April and it was awesome.. Get out there and RIDE!!

Snirtdawg

We rode from the Bug Bar on Friday morning down to trail 13 and were the first tracks for many miles. I commented to my two riding buddies to take a good look at the trail as it would never be better 10 of 10. Ran out of snow closer to Greenland and reversed back to trail 3. Definitely getting softer as the day we t on(45 degrees max). Then took 109 (again first tracks) for 15 miles and back, all good. Went to the Bug Bar for lunch, thanks Don and Donna, enjoy retirement!! Went up through South Range for gas and took the Freda loop, minimal snow and was rained on for the last 15 miles by 5:30PM. Trailered to the Ramada for drink and stay. Poured rain throughout the evening. Woke up on Saturday and trailered up to Calumet. Rode 3 up to 134 and over to Gay, Lac La Belle and near Copper Harbor. All trails were rock hard and rutted from the day before. NO GROOMING NORTH OF THE BRIDGE Friday NIGHT!! Could have been great, but made for a tough ride.
Seasons over, thanks to all the clubs for your work throughout the year!!! Sounds like things are now good again.

garyl62

I also trailered up, but went to Mohawk. From there took 3 up to 132 did a little down and back as I didn't want to road ride in Lac La Belle, north on 3 again and then the 134-135 loop around and back south on 3. Stayed out of all the towns as everyone said there was nothing to ride there. I was going to post some photos but really they are worthless since things could change very quickly if there is snow this week. There are some photos that look like a 10, some that half the trail is bare, and others where there is nothing but asphalt showing. I don't know when/where whenwillitsnow's buddies rode, but I didn't see anything groomed north of Mohawk, it was hard and choppy. Plenty of tracks before me everywhere I rode and there where a few sleds out, so while it's less than great, people are still going. If I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't, but if 6" come down it could be a great couple days of late season riding this weekend.

garyl62

Ok, I'll post a couple photos after all

The Good Trail 3, just north of Mohawk

DSCN0230.jpg

The Bad Several spots like this or worse all over

DSCN0232.jpg

The Ugly Hancock

20150321_161303.jpg 20150321_160319.jpg

Looking at going up to Calumet Thurs-Fri. Based on previous reports if they get at least the 4" in JD's forecast on Tues-Weds but nothing more, do ya'll think it'll be rideable? We would be staying Calumet and north.

garyl62

Looking at going up to Calumet Thurs-Fri. Based on previous reports if they get at least the 4" in JD's forecast on Tues-Weds but nothing more, do ya'll think it'll be rideable? We would be staying Calumet and north.

IMO everything is rideable now. All depends on what you're looking for. If 4" comes it would be even better, but there is still plenty of base on the trails to get around north of Calumet.

Snirtdawg

4" would be needed as I assume they are no longer grooming. As Gary and I stated, currently it is rock hard which results in bumpy with no cushion and in the turns, somewhat rutted due to the sleds that were out Friday before everything froze hard. If it warms up a little, it could improve what we saw on Saturday.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Weather permitting, they are still grooming out of Mohawk (went out last night). Going south to at least Calumet and all of the north trails. As Gary mentioned, most areas north of Calumet are fine as is and new snow will only make improvements to things. They might also be running the groomer out of Hancock north, but I am not sure of this and might only be from Hancock to Calumet, as the lower trail through D-Bay and Lake Linden has less snow.

Here is a shot of the trail just north of Calumet from this morning.
image.jpg

-John

CatsOnly

Weather permitting, they are still grooming out of Mohawk (went out last night). Going south to at least Calumet and all of the north trails. As Gary mentioned, most areas north of Calumet are fine as is and new snow will only make improvements to things. They might also be running the groomer out of Hancock north, but I am not sure of this and might only be from Hancock to Calumet, as the lower trail through D-Bay and Lake Linden has less snow.

Here is a shot of the trail just north of Calumet from this morning.
View attachment 51125

-John

So your saying theyve groomed to gay? coming up friday and looking for up to date grooming reports, thanks

mezz

Double check with the Keweenaw Convention & Visitors Bureau before you leave on Friday. They should be able to give you info.-Mezz