hand signals

arcticcatguy

i think that the first person in the group should hold up how many fingers of people behind him, and then the last person should signal that they are the end

snow_monkey

Once the trails get busy it makes no sense to me to use hand signals. If there is a long gap between groups on the trails I will use a hand signal but once you get wave after wave of groups it stops making sense. When it is busy the last rider in the group gives you the all clear then here comes two more groups. I would rate staying to the right on a trail more important than giving hand signals.

jasono

after dark

So, when riding after dark, how do you use hand signals? Should we flash the brights to equal the number of riders behind us? Since the hand thing doesn't work all of the time, including at night when you can't see, then it can't be considered a 'rule'. I used to wave at people all of the time 25 years ago because it was fun to see other people on the trail. Now that there are so many people, when I am on the trail, I am riding very defensively with both hands on the handlebars wondering when someone is going to veer and hit me.

Might as well jump on 2 other grouch threads here and say that all of the trail riders are why I now spend more time off trail. Also, with the price of sleds and riding going sky high, maybe fewer people will get into the sport...

snow_monkey

I agree with jasono. On Saturday we rode and by 10a.m. it was so busy my group was screaming at me to head for the secondary trails. We enjoyed the next 65 miles on fresher snow and saw only two other riders.

cdsprague

So, when riding after dark, how do you use hand signals? Should we flash the brights to equal the number of riders behind us? Since the hand thing doesn't work all of the time, including at night when you can't see, then it can't be considered a 'rule'. I used to wave at people all of the time 25 years ago because it was fun to see other people on the trail. Now that there are so many people, when I am on the trail, I am riding very defensively with both hands on the handlebars wondering when someone is going to veer and hit me.

Might as well jump on 2 other grouch threads here and say that all of the trail riders are why I now spend more time off trail. Also, with the price of sleds and riding going sky high, maybe fewer people will get into the sport...

Riding after dark there is no need to let people know how many sleds are behind you. The headlights give it away. I can see a headlight a lot easier than someones hand or fingers!

lofsfire

As it has bent stated above numbered hand singles are a courtesy and should only be given when safe to. (Yes, I do show how many are behind me.)

The only real hand signals are here:
http://www.snowmobilers.org/saferider/safety/page_01.html
(I notice people use the numbers, but never see the "real" hand signals used, Myself included. Kinda funny.)

Here are two products that could help, but again until all the manufactures jump on board it will not be mainstream. Plus there are legal issues with colored lights facing forward in some states. We really need one national snowmobile organization to step up at get the ball rolling. To make sure all states have an exception for this type of device.

I personally thing this would be the best:
http://www.willyps.net/

But some like this could work too, I relay like that it is simple (only 3 choices) It could be integrated in lots of sleds be manufactures with ease.
http://www.communicationsafetysystem.com/home.php

polarisrider1

Fortunately - everyone knows better than that infocard and understands on the trails that it is indeed a courtesy to signal how many sleds are behind you.

Whatever. Courtesy not needed. hang on and stay on your side. Period. You don't even know that 4 more groups plus are riding your butt waiting to pass. Your finger numbers are a nice jesture but most likely inacurate. Follow the rules.

polarisrider1

LOL Polar1, what is up with the rules lately? Everytime you post, it is about rules...

Good question. JDee site is one of the few snowmobile sites that still has an inkling of ability to actually humanly cover a topic. It is going down fast. Snowest now charges to be on it, Their value is disputable by some. Other sites just fight all the time since they have zero rules. It gets old. I think the Mods are getting burned out here and the site is way bigger than ever imagined for them to keep running smoothly. From the emails that I have received some of the "Off trail riders" are now afraid to post pics. or even discuss anything. This site has turned into a slam fest. I feel it is in a free fall. Help me if I am wrong.

coldbear

Hold em' up,add to trail etiquette..

Yes , hold up the fingers for the sleds behind you in your group. It shows responsibility and saves accidents. I was riding yesterday and passed a pack of five. I kept counting the sleds down but couldn/t find the last. I figured he was taking a wizz.Nope, found him in the next hard rt. hand sweeper broken down. If I had'nt been looking for him, I'd surely crossed up with him. jmo.

smokenjoe

A group of us were riding in early January and passed a guy on the trail and he was holding up one finger, we assumed one more rider so we rode and rode and did'nt see anyone. Finally 5 miles or more down the trail we found the rider who had turned on to a fire road by accident and couldnt turn the sled around. The rider was a petit girl and the sled didnt have reverse. We turned her sled around for her and she was on her way, man was she pissed that the rest of her group didnt come back for her. It just comes down to is that hand signels are not B.S.

snobuilder

A group of us were riding in early January and passed a guy on the trail and he was holding up one finger, we assumed one more rider so we rode and rode and did'nt see anyone. Finally 5 miles or more down the trail we found the rider who had turned on to a fire road by accident and couldnt turn the sled around. The rider was a petit girl and the sled didnt have reverse. We turned her sled around for her and she was on her way, man was she pissed that the rest of her group didnt come back for her. It just comes down to is that hand signels are not B.S.

I'm not sure if I fully get your post.....
You sayin you wouldn't have stopped and helped her out if it weren't for hand signals?,...and what does it say about the guys givin the sled count behind them.....is that the end of there responsibility?, so they don't even look back once in a while to see if there group is still a group???
LOL... And what is a GIRL doin runnin sweeper??? LOL
We put the most experianced in front and back and ride to the pace of the slowest in our group,....not to say we don't run fast up front, but we don't do it for miles and miles and get seperated too far, or with larger groups we will put a second 'lead guy" infront of the slow pack and regroup frequently at stops.

whitedust

I'm not sure if I fully get your post.....
You sayin you wouldn't have stopped and helped her out if it weren't for hand signals?,...and what does it say about the guys givin the sled count behind them.....is that the end of there responsibility?, so they don't even look back once in a while to see if there group is still a group???
LOL... And what is a GIRL doin runnin sweeper??? LOL
We put the most experianced in front and back and ride to the pace of the slowest in our group,....not to say we don't run fast up front, but we don't do it for miles and miles and get seperated too far, or with larger groups we will put a second 'lead guy" infront of the slow pack and regroup frequently at stops.

Good pack structure. I like it. Some ladies can ride hard so I would not count them out to lead or sweep. Ma & Pa do it all the time & keep little ones in the middle.

srobak

polarisrider1 said:
Whatever. Courtesy not needed.

This is the perfect mentality to have when riding - even about the smallest thing like hand signals. :wank: It starts there, and then the lack of courtesy or giving a rip about anyone else on the trails flourishes into a full blown "stay the **** outta my way, cause I am riding here, dag nabbit!"

Do me a favor pol1 - stay in the backcountry until you learn to be considerate of the other riders around you. And remember:

srobak said:
during the day - those who do not signal how many get a special signal from me. :)

So if you happen to get one of those... or actually a group of 8 of them this weekend - you'll know who it was.

You don't even know that 4 more groups plus are riding your butt waiting to pass. Your finger numbers are a nice jesture but most likely inacurate.

You don't know how I ride, how I manage my group, how I instruct the last rider, what communications equipment we use in the group, or how I regroup at all stops and intersections and check for trailing groups or sleds to let them by... out of that horrific thing called courtesy that you seem to despise so much, so - don't tell me what I know and don't know, cause you couldn't be more wrong... k?

Follow the rules.

You do know you can follow the rules and extend courtesy in addition, right? Give it a whirl.

This site has turned into a slam fest. I feel it is in a free fall. Help me if I am wrong.

You are indeed wrong... again. You have to learn how to ignore slams and issues on any forum... and honestly - the s/n ratio here on JD is minimal compared to what I see on most other forums of most any topic. This site is a huge repository of useful information and helpful people, and it is working out awesome - at least for me, and the groups I bring to the UP to pop their sledding cherries. Lots of folks on here contribute to that, and I thank them all immensely - I would also like to thank them should I run into them on the trails by letting them know how many are in my party. :) D@mn courtesy - such a bitch, isn't it?

stealthv said:
Handsignals are out of date in today's world. Keep your hands on the bars instead of in the ones with alcohol.

Care to qualify how they are "out of date" in today's world vs yesteryear? The handling and suspension of modern sleds makes occassional, brief, one-handed operation easy as pie.

Last edited:

Snowdee

srobak, EXCELLENT reply! Snobuilder, I like your riding style. It's pretty much the same as we use. I, too ran into a rider this past weekend who signaled 2 riders behind. Might have been a mile till we saw the next rider!!??!! He was flying thru the trails and the others were riding like their hair was on fire to catch up. Scary.....