hand signals

cdsprague

In my opinion... if there are more than 5 sleds in your group and they are behind you just show five fingers. I get the point when the next person will show 5 and so on. I am not about to try and figure out exactly how many you have in your group if it is more than 5 by throwing up a bunch of extra fingers after the initial 5.

I wonder how some of these mods on here got that position, they are out of line at times.

switch07

Altho I am for signaling to oncoming sleds, I do kind of chuckle to myself when I come up to a group of sleds tight together and everyone is holding up the fingers and you can see the guy with the fist before you get to the first in line. Sort of like a space launch 5,4,3,2,fist.......lol.

oldguy

I agree in tight groups, on rails beds or straight stretches everyone holding up a finger is a little redundant. But I think we do the finger thing to be polite and friendly towards our fellow snowmobilers. That is not necessarily a bad thing.

Running Bear

I think I'll chime in on this from a groomer point of view.....great thing for someone to ask...nothing wrong with asking about trail etiquette and actually appreciate someone wanting to do the right thing.......yes hold them up if you can and only hold up the number of sleds behind you. It is nice for the groomer to have some idea of how many more are coming around the corner.....so thanks for asking knewt66

famousguy

famouseguy is a good sport as well.

Not sure if he has the finger signal thing down as we have him ride back in the pack with the women and children.

Pro

Is that why?

I thought it was because I was the biggest guy in the group? According to the SQ, every group has the big guy in the back....

Ever hear of the search function?

This is a snowmobile forum. There are only so many issues pertaining to snowmobiling. New people are joining all the time. Of course things are going to be repeated over and over again. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GET OFF THIS FORUM!!!
(hmmmm, where have I heard that kind of advice before?)

When I saw this thread my first thought was, not again? I almost just kept thumbing through until I saw the above post. Ever heard of the search function in a forum, it works wonderful. And as for your last statement, I didnt agree with it the first time I read it in another post and it hasnt gained any clout from you typing it either.

All i'm saying is there is a search function for a reason, and it comes in pretty handy when you might need an answer quickly or to not clog the board up with identical threads.

olsmann

Rode 450 miles this weekend, saw a ton of sleds and i would say maybe only one group did NOT signal. I think its nice to know how many more people might be comming around the corner on the wrong side of the trail. I also like to let people know that my wife is a little ways behind me and not to kill her when they come around a corner on the wrong side of the trail. Its dangerous riding in front these days.

I agree that this thread gets a little redundant but its probably worth talkin about it every year still.

rinkerman

On our last trip we encountered several groups that failed to signal the number of remaining riders. Was surprised how many inconsiderate riders we encountered.

beakjones

night

Pet Peeve time-

If we see each other at night, I don't need you to signal. I can see your headlight from a long ways away, even in corners. What I can barely see is your hand as I wait for your headlight to get out of my vision. It always makes me laugh when I see people signaling at night - makes me wonder if they even think about it.

srobak

Beak - that's a given...

However - during the day - those who do not signal how many get a special signal from me. :)

polarfreek

Put up more than are following. It keeps them more observant for a longer period. You can probably slow people down more since alot of them are just trying to keep up with the leader. Most of these guys are riding so out of control you wonder how they can keep a sled in one piece.

600hoic

Banned
Put up more than are following. It keeps them more observant for a longer period. You can probably slow people down more since alot of them are just trying to keep up with the leader. Most of these guys are riding so out of control you wonder how they can keep a sled in one piece.

Why would I need to slow down for someone else? If your in front of me I will just pass you and if your going the other way I will just fly by you...either way the flapper stays to the bar! :)

beakjones

Beak - that's a given...

However - during the day - those who do not signal how many get a special signal from me. :)

If it was a given then why do I see almost every person doing it? I rode from Marquette back to Ishpeming, passed 5 groups and EVERY SINGLE RIDER gave me the proper hand signal. It was 8PM.

rsvectordude

On our last trip we encountered several groups that failed to signal the number of remaining riders. Was surprised how many inconsiderate riders we encountered.

Inconsiderate has nothing to do with it. You know how many times people have almost hit me coming the other way trying to signal to me instead of holding on the bars darting all over...I'll slow down for ya but you're not getting me to take my hands off the bar in case I have to make an abrupt turn off trail to avoid the idiot trying to stick fingers up.

markw

I can't even count the times i have come up behind a group of riders and watched the rider in front of me give a fist for about 5 miles.