Handlebar heat help.

02zr600

I am currently riding a 2002 zr 600, and it's handwarmers are really weak. Last year I put handguards on it, and they helped a little but I still want more warmth. I read somewhere to spray some expando-foam inside the bars. Has anyone ever tried this or do you think it would help. Thanks in advance for any advice!

indy_500

the insulation foam or expando foam will help. saw it it snowgoer which is where you probably read it too.

ezra

your 02 must have a prob the zr grips are usually good I have had a few zr and always run them on low because they worked so well.

carter

The fix is: Remove your existing grips. If you are real careful you might not have to replace both grips and elements. After removal wrap electrical tape (black) around the metal bar. This forces the heat up through the grip and not down through the metal bar. Tape the element on at the top and bottom with a small piece of tape. Reattach the grips. You should use a good glue. Loctite has a glue in a 2oz. bottle for around $25 I think it's #401 or something like that. Awesome glue.

borderstaff

If your asking for someone's opinion who has actually tried the foam trick, then yes, I have done it to both of my sleds (02 Mountain Cat 600 and 06 M7). It seemed to help in both sleds to heat up sooner and hold the heat better.

I know this does not address you handwarmer problem but I have been running Gaunlets (sorry about the spelling) for the past 5 years and love them. I just have a cheap pair if canvas fur lined and never even wear an insulated glove anymore.

the Gauntlets that I have come in from the top not the ends and they are loose on the top fairly unrestrictive but I do understand the concern. I have seen some that you are very tight or hard so that you cant get out.
They did take some time to get use to them, but now I don't think I would got without. I have riddin in the -20's I will not say I was warm but my hands were comfortably chilly not froze like I think they would have been in gloves of mittens.

edmarino

May I be so bold as to suggest a pair of Gerbing's heated gloves or glove liners they really do work good especially with a thermastat to regulate temperture otherwise they will cook your hands. Of course you need a 12 volt electrical sytem on your sled i.e. a battery or you could go with thier new battery operated gloves which are more expensive.

lx700kev

The factory hand warmers should cook your hands on the high setting.They are not working the way they should. Replace them.

harvest1121

I had a 2002 600 that i had to replace the handwarmers on. The wires broke by the riser. Just install new and get it over with.

Skeeter, I'm with you on the gauntlets. I bought my first pair several years ago while riding on a -20 degree day. I was fortunate enough to buy a good set of them on the first try. I've seen some that appear to be restrictive which obviously would not be good. I have retrofitted a pair now to fit my Nytro handle bars and I think I'm set. It really is nice to ride with a thin pair of gloves yet maintain comfort.

02zr600

Sorry I didn't get to this eariler, but thanks to all you guys for you imput. And a special thanks to borderstaff for giving me exactly what I was looking for! Think SNOW!!