hardwood floors....

Firecatguy

I am working on a redo at home and took the carpet up from the floor and like to redo the the wood and here is the issue....no this last carpet but once before someone glued either pad or carpet down and I am not sure what to do just use sander and try remove clue with that? I have googled it a few times and read that if its black and gooy that is asbestos pre 80s stuff? anyone know about that? what i have is not "gooy"sp? but dry and will flake off in some spots....any help or ideas be great...

garageguy

If its black, dry and flaking off in spots, it may well be Asbestos containing. I worked in a Hospital for 30 plus years and was involved in asbestos sampling and testing. Get a sample and have it tested, or wet it down when your sanding, where a mask and hope for the best.

ezra

or just scrape up carpet residue. then pay the $2.75sf to have it sanded and refinished and go ridding up north cuz u cant be on it any way.
see how well that workes for u

Firecatguy

no sled this year just doing projects waiting on spring.....cant sub this one sure wish I did with bathroom redo......I really looking forward to this project been putting it off for few years now last weekend i got it painted and new ceiling fan in updated all the outlets carpet is gone I will see if i can post a pic of this as i am thinking this was just a dark pad that was glued down and turned glue black

Firecatguy

535365_10200693968020819_801161275_n_zpsdbe06975.jpg

Firecatguy

the pad I just took up was stapled down this was under that......

tryed a quick scrap and it came right up going be a long sat.......

garyl62

Many times the black mastic contained asbestos, but that almost looks like the old black backing from carpet padding. If it's hard and flakes off, it could be glue, if its softer in nature it's more likly a foam product from the carpet or padding.

As for me, I'm so tired of every "We know better than you" government agency telling me how to do my work, I'd just have at it. You're not working for the next 30 years, 10 hours a day in that room with everything all closed up being forced to breath the dust you create like some lab rate was forced to do who then showed an "increased" risk for cancer.

One weekend of scraping like you said, you'll be fine.

ezra

I am sure with all the attics I have been swimming in. the old vct tile and black pad and led paint I have sanded.
the old boiler pipe removed.the gallons of reducers cleaners strippers that have absorbed in to my skin.
just like the rest of the men who have dropped from the family tree just after retiring I will kick it with a good ol heart attack.
and if not oh well no one gets out alive and I have no intention of spending any time in a nursing home.if they do miraculously put me in one my knowledge of pharmaceuticals will aid greatly in ending that nightmare.

arcticgeorge

remove all you can before sanding

Dont worry about asbestos, gently water the top to prevent dust, put a fan in the window facing out and scrape away! I would remove all you can before sanding because the sand paper just get coated with that crap and stay there until you try to scrape it off. Same thing in my old miner's home, stappeled carpet over beautiful michigan maple flooring. I have pulled it all up replaced the sub floor and hardwood is next after drywall.

Last edited:

ezra

PS remember to turn off furnace or at min plastic off the returns in that room till all sanding is done

polarisrider1

Don't worry about asbestos. I see floors like that made new all the time. Scrape, sand, putty, sand, stain, screen, poly,screen, poly and done.
But, if you got money to spend you could tear it out, have a bonfire, have me come in and put in an electric mat heated floor and tile that looks just like wood, that way spilled beer won't hurt it, your toes will be warm and you can roll around in your computer chair and not mess up the floor.

Last edited:

timo

i wouldn't worry about that at all. i had the same situation in a spare bedroom. looked exactly like yours black like foam. i chalked it up to being a black pad someone put down. just scrape off as much as you can so when you sand it it doesn't get all gunked up on the sand paper. like someone said you're not spending 30 years in the room.

anonomoose

Yeah....70's good ole fashioned foam backed carpet. Won't kill you at all....simply happens when you go it wet from a good steam cleaning and break down of years over hardwood and vanish....seen it many times.

No bestos there....probably other harmful chems but like EZ says...you got to go sometime, and you did get to go sleddin a few times....so what the geez.....

Now if it was asbestos you can't just open the window...federal law to throw it in the dumpster....and the fibers fragment get air borne and will get into your lungs decades later....you might as well have smoked stogies for years. We used it a bunch in the old daz...but we also paid for it with early exits from social security....we should pin a metal to the chest of those chemical engineers who invented it.

fcat700

My Mother worked with asbestos all her life with out a problem...

Attachments

• old lady.jpg
    old lady.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 103

Firecatguy

well after a few more phone calls to friends in the floorcovering biz the black stuff was old carpet that had a black rubber back with all the years and heat, traffic ect its bonded to floor!!!!its coming up!!!long day od scraping and sanding.....

541408_10200702877443549_1432939776_n_zpsf0c233a4.jpg

285354_10200702876563527_1875657899_n_zps4be34f27.jpg

snoseekr2

Don't worry about asbestos. I see floors like that made new all the time. Scrape, sand, putty, sand, stain, screen, poly,screen, poly and done.
But, if you got money to spend you could tear it out, have a bonfire, have me come in and put in an electric mat heated floor and tile that looks just like wood, that way spilled beer won't hurt it, your toes will be warm and you can roll around in your computer chair and not mess up the floor.

lmfao wayne thats the best sales pitch i"ve heard in a long time......LOL