Heres my first Vintage Project........TXL 340

Bradzoo

Great job Kirk, one of these days we're gonna have to get all these bad boys together for a ride

Bradzoo

kirk600

Thanks guys, you both were a big help. It is still a long way from being done, but we're making progress.

I was surprised how different it sounds after getting up in rpms........it sounds real good.

After just hearing it idle this whole time, and it being only a 340, i'm impressed with the power this thing makes.......

Brad is right, we need to get together some day for a vintage ride.

I spent many late nights trying to get this sled rideable before the snow was gone,
and with a few more adjustments i think we will make it. Been steady progress since i bought it January 1 2015

kirk600

Great news folks,
I got the old TXL out for a 5 mile ride
today, just to get a idea how it's going to handle. Other than a low idle, and a inoperable speedometer all systems were OK.

snocrazy

Real Cool! Thanks for posting and sharing all of the progress. I know it can be a pain to take pics, post, and update.
I enjoyed checking in and seeing this thing come together.

D

Deleted member 10829

Way to go kirk600! I've also enjoyed this thread, thanks for that. Can you send some of that snow our way?

kirk600

Thanks for the kind words. It has been a fun little project and relatively easy to get information on and work on too. You guys and gals here on the board have kept me motivated. I actually took a few extra vacation days to keep making progress.
I wish we had more snow here to send your way, but I did get stuck out on the power lines today.

Yesterday we rode Mackinac Island, drove back to Cadillac in white out conditions. Lots of strange weather lately it seems. But I guess I was determined to be the first tracks in the fresh snow with the TXL this morning.........

Last edited:

kirk600

Those last two pictures, the sleds are 25 years apart. 1979 vs 2004 models. Quite a difference when you look at them but the mechanicals....., both clutches, engines, brake and drive systems bogey wheels etc. not much has really changed. Sure the HP is up there, but i can put two 340cc engines together and still not have 700cc.

skiroule

Kirk,
I think it’s pretty funny that you’re off in the powder with the TXL already. Not surprised that you own an RMK. Even though they are probably classified as “track/trail” machines, I seem to spend a lot of time off the groomed trail with mine, although as you’ve probably already discovered, these things are a blast on a smooth, firm trail.

Congrats once again on a very successful build. Now enjoy the rewards!

Check the VintageSleds event board regularly. There are probably quite a few vintage rides not too far from your location. A lot of these rides provide the opportunity to air em’ out a little. Not every ride motors along at 15 mph all the time.

kirk600

Kelly, i dont know what happened but the new pictures i posted ended up in post 30 and 36. Yes i do prefer the off trail stuff, and i ride a bunch of seasonal roads around Cadillac near the cabin. I have Wayne's (polarisrider1) old 600 switchback as well as the 700 and the 800RMK.
My dad lived out in Wyoming for about 17 years, and it ruined me as far as trail riding goes... So i figured the TXL will need to prove its capable sooner or later. It did surprisingly well i might add, even with the short lug track.
As far as the events page over at vintage sleds, i did see the Marion vintage snowmobile club had a event last weekend, and i put the txl in the show for the heck of it. They have a oval race, show and swap meet. There were a few TXL's racing, but we were only there for a few hours with Angi's grandson. Then it was back to the cabin so we could take him riding. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

kirk600

Yes Kelly, it was pretty good sized. Dont know the racer count for this year, but last year they had 250 racers at this event.

Well Here is a short video of the TXL running for those who wondered how it sounds. Went for another short ride this afternoon and got a little noise to share..........

Last edited:

kirk600

Hi All,
well after the last week I have a few things to address on the old TXL. I figured with the mild weather
it would be a good time to fix the speedometer.
I pulled the secondary clutch, and pulled the speedo cable to check if that was the problem. I disconnected
both ends and the cable spins freely, although it does seem a bit snug. Next I pulled the speedometer drive
and wouldn't you know it, the drive spins freely also, but the drive pin, key, whatchamacallit, etc...... is sheared off.
So here is where I am stuck.........the old pin is exactly the same as those used on the "EDGE" chassis sleds. The
broken piece is about one inch long, and it is stuck inside the driveshaft. Not on the end mind you, but about 1/4"
inside the end of the shaft. I have tried magnets, an awl, a couple different picks and tried drilling it. Nothing seems
to be working..........so does anybody on here have an idea? I have broke 3 drill bits already so aparently the pin is hard.
Here are a few pics of what I am working with........ Thanks in advance!

skiroule

Sorry, I don't have the answer but if someone comes up with one I'll be paying attention. I've had to give up on at least one drive axle for the very same reason. I tried everything, including breaking at least a couple of drill bits. Seems like when they are stuck they're really stuck. I'm sure you've tried all of the obvious things like spraying a bunch of WD-40 or Liquid Wrench in there. Don't know if you can get a little screwdriver in there to try to wiggle it a little, although if it were going to move, you would think the drill bit would have moved it.

Nasty problem!

Bradzoo

Kirk, try a left handed drill bit, you should be able to get one at an industrial supply store. If you have a drill press and if it has a hole in the table big enough to get the end of the drive shaft through, put the driveshaft through it from the bottom and clamp on to the top with a pair of vise grips then clamp the vise grips down with a c clamp to keep it fairly rigid. If the left hand drill (the keys are right hand twist stainless steel) doesn't unravel it you can try a small carbide end mill but you'll have to be careful and make sure you got it centered

Bradzoo

Bradzoo

Note: even if you have a drill press if it doesn't have revers The left hand drill won't work, then just try the end mill instead. If you can't get it ship it to me and I'll put it in a lathe and get it out

Bradzoo

kirk600

Thanks for the replies guys,
I will try and find a drill bit and give it a shot. I am hoping i can avoid pulling the skid at the present time but if i need to it will give me a chance to give the rear suspension a good cleaning. And maybe even
flip the track, or get one with a little taller lug on it........

kirk600

Well Guys and Gals,

I have not been successful at removing the broken speedometer key, so I have started removing the rear skid so I can remove the track and driveshaft. Only after breaking two "left handed bits" did I finally give up on trying to fix the speedometer drive with the driveshaft installed.
I did dissassemble the entire rear skid, and sand blasted all the metal pieces and dropped them off at the powder coater for a fresh coat of satin black. I need to replace one cross shaft and one idler wheel bearing with the aluminum inserts polaris used back then. It was siezed to the shaft and I got a little too agressive with the mallet and broke it, so I used a cut off wheel to remove it the rest of the way.

Here are a few pics for you all to enjoy.

skiroule

Well Kirk, it's official: You are a vintage junkie.

When it's perfectly natural to start thinking about lawn fertilizer and grilling this time of year, you're tearing into the TXL with your sights on next year. I love it!!

Think my goals will be pretty modest this summer but I would like to get the 250 in riding shape and maybe do a little work on the Cyclone. Can't have too many vintage sleds ready to ride, in my book.

Carry on!!