Hot tubs

eagle1

So....Wife has always wanted on ever since I've known her. Managed to avoid it for 10 years of marriage. Still wants one even though her fitness club has one.
So after years of spending money on expensive sleds I'm starting to consider it. Feeling guilty I guess. Lol
So any advice? Get what you pay for? Better to buy cheaper cause they're all junk anyways? Don't need bell and whistles.
Anyone buy something in 3-4k range?
Was just looking at Costco or worth buying from dealer?
Thanks
https://m.costco.com/spas.html

ezra

bigger they are the more they cost to heat and more fittings to go bad more pumps to take a dump.
and do u really want any one but u and the wife in it any way?

whitedust

Wrong direction.... remodel a bathroom... master best to accomodate 2 person bath with jets with in line heaters. Fresh hot water everytime excellent ROI will hold value. Your wife can use it alone or with you. No doubt in my mind this is the way to go & I did it in 2 homes peeps who bought homes totally focused on 2up tub with jets and shower steamer.

harski

Sorry to say but, they are a complete money pit IMO. Depreciation on a name brand tub will be ridiculous! I know our local outfit buys them back at about 50% or more of the cost new at the 2-3 year mark! Then, if you go used, the problem with these is you don't know how its been handled in the past plus when you move it and the jarring that can take place could loosen fittings etc and create leaks. I've bought a couple used tubs, next to nothing, and made equipment repairs myself to help with costs. But, once they get leaks and if they are spray foamed then dig deeper in the pocket book to get them repaired! The other problem is removal of these tubs once there is no return in repair. They must be stripped of all components etc before they could be brought to the dump. Then, what do you do with the components once you removed the tub??? I have to admit that they're nice when working and if you have a scenic back yard to enjoy them in. I gave away my last one that had a leak but newer parts as I didn't want to deal with it. IF I decided to get another one in our next house I may buy a warehouse brand and replace it every year or two before something breaks. So, basically, no different than a sled!!! LOL!
That's my quick .02. Your wife will probably not let you ride with me now if we ever get the chance! LOL!

I like the suggestion WD too if you have the space and will be staying in the home a while.

Good luck!

Harski

eagle1

Thanks harski, pretty much what I figured. That why was maybe thinking one of the lower cost round ones. 2 or 3k and just think of it as disposable and maybe get 3 or4 yrs out of it??

WD I would agree but not gonna happen unless basement gets finished. And since I'm on low ground just not gonna happen. Would rather upgrade to new house then. Lol

Ez, that's a pretty loaded question don't ya think? Lmao

ezra

Wrong direction.... remodel a bathroom... master best to accomodate 2 person bath with jets with in line heaters. Fresh hot water everytime excellent ROI will hold value. Your wife can use it alone or with you. No doubt in my mind this is the way to go & I did it in 2 homes peeps who bought homes totally focused on 2up tub with jets and shower steamer.
we tore out at least 5 large 2 person tubs last yr alone . not many people have any desire for them . every 1 was replace with a large walk in shower with steam.
I use the old heaters for tossing in wet saw in the winter.
I have a few customers with old hot tubs out back that have not been used in yrs .I think most use them for a yr or so then less and less then they sit . I have 1 guy who we built a yard building for his swim In place tub deal huge money when all said and done . thing has been empty for yrs lol

durphee

Loved my hot tub for the first year or so, then usage went way down. I only liked it when it was cold outside, the warmer months I never used it. Sold my house and told them I would throw it in for "free." I still miss mine on cold snow days but that's about it. Get a cheap one, make her happy and see where it goes, you may end up using it a bunch and loving it, if not your not out too much.

chunk06

we tore out at least 5 large 2 person tubs last yr alone . not many people have any desire for them . every 1 was replace with a large walk in shower with steam.
I use the old heaters for tossing in wet saw in the winter.
I have a few customers with old hot tubs out back that have not been used in yrs .I think most use them for a yr or so then less and less then they sit . I have 1 guy who we built a yard building for his swim In place tub deal huge money when all said and done . thing has been empty for yrs lol
We tore a large floor level one out 2 years ago from a 2002 built home that never had 1 drop of water in it. It went on Craigslist as a "curb alert" and was gone in a hour.

C

Cirrus_Driver

Yes, liked my hot tube, inside a gazebo, for the 1st year or 2. I was always the one measuring PH and getting the balance just right. And draining and cleaning when it got messed up with calcium deposits. And the leaks on O-Rings. Hands and knees underneath - awful. In winter nobody wanted to walk the 25 feet to get in. I ended up cutting it up with a saws-all, to get it out of the gazebo after we built around it. Never again.

ezra

also bait the crap out of them when by the house mice love them a nice warm space with condensation to lick up

snobuilder

Best to encourage a close neighbor that they deserve one. Ain't fun without company (you and your wife) to show off to.....just nod when they say you 2 need one too.

GTL

WOW-----couldn't agree more with these statements.. One or two years and the fun is gone. Still miss it but not worth the trouble and expense. We are going to remodel the bath and either bigger whirlpool or huge multi-headed shower.

paulk

We use ours a lot. 2 to 3 times a week from September until April. Ours is in the house so you dont have to go outside in the cold to get to it. Once you get the balance right it is easy to maintain. Drain it about every 3 or 4 months. We are selling our house and will be getting another one for the new house. Check Craigslist there are some good deals on a year or 2 old. Make it user friendly to use it and enjoy.

polaris4me

Well I guess I'm on the other side of the previous posts. We bought I used hot tub 5 years ago. It's just me and my wife so it's a smaller hot tub. Cost for heating a month is 25 bucks. I use it about once a week. The wife goes in 3 three times a week. My uncle has a hot tub also, so we buy chemicals in bulk and split the cost. It's nice to relax and soak them sore muscles . Have our tub in a screened in deck, 5 foot from the house. Worth it for us.

coach

Well.....here's one for you! Bought one for my son's college rental house. Needless to say, they had a "ball."
They used it all through the winter and some of the stories were terrific! Seems that a few beers and the college girls lost their inhibitions.
Sold it along with the rental house when he graduated. He told me it was the best investment ....

Last edited:

gkolar

We had a 5-6 person tub for almost 10 years in our backyard. Fantastic after late night hockey league games. Colder outside the better. Inline heating elements are not that expensive and they need to be replaced from time to time. I watched a repair guy do it once and did my own after that. It was the price of a new cover every few years (worn, water logged/heavy and rip even with the lifting aid) that was pricey IMO. Yes you are heating a pot of water outside, but they are insulated pretty good. I actually had to add extra vents on my cedar cabinet because the pump tripped out from time to time while in filter mode. If you are not the type who will not pay attention to the tub (GFI trip) or water balance (monitor 2-3 times per week) as others mentioned then it may not be a good toy. They do need attention or you are bouncing it up and down with chemicals. Our usage went down as our kids grew up. Tried to give it away at the end, but it met my sawzall.

slimcake

Well.....here's one for you! Bought one for my son's college rental house. Needless to say, they had a "ball."
They used it all through the winter and some of the stories were terrific! Seems that a few beers and the college girls lost their inhibitions.
Sold it along with the rental house when he graduated. He told me it was the best investment ....

Jeez... Reminds me of the line from Letterkenny... "you quit toe curling in the hot tub cause you heard your swimmers can live forever and you all know about the Ninja Turtles and how that played out....."

maddogg

It all depends on the work you want to put into them. Expect to balance it 3 times a week and change the water every 3-4 months. Winterizing them is difficult if you plan to drain them and try and get rv antifreeze through everything. Markup on them is outrageous. If you plan on using it a lot, go for it. A cheap one is too cheap, but you don't need to go all out as some of the features on them are pointless. Expect to have it wired up and you most likely won't be able to plug it in. A cover is definitely worth it. I would buy from a dealer because I like being able to reach out and strangle someone when it doesn't work. Just me though. Think about if its just the wife and maybe you sometimes or if your going to have hot tub parties and this will determine the size.

chords

Is it true that while sittin' in the hot tub, which causes ones body temp to rise, that drinking alcohol hits you harder than normal ?