Ice Scratcher Opinions

Jruggs73

Hey everyone I'm looking for opinions on ice scratcher brands and your experience with them. I have a 08 RMK 144" with 2" paddles. Thank you!

ezra

I just use the wire ones . yes they bend if u don't pull them up when reversing . ez to bend back.
I see them as wear parts like carbide every yr or 2 get a new pr.
if they get short in the season I get out the vice grip and make a new bend.
what ever is cheep at a show is what I buy

scottiking

They do work better than the cable ones! I have had both!
I miss not worrying about the wire ones but the wire ones kick up much more snow! cable ones are pretty good when new but seemed to have less pressure on the ground after while!
I put a stud in my ski and that works great!
My slides have about 2k miles on my 13 M8 but I mostly ride off trail!
I like the stud in my ski best!

Scottiking OUT

Ezra do they work better than the cable type like I have read?

polarisrider1

I run the cable scratchers. I always wreck the wire ones. In Mi. I run scratchers down always. The cable scratchers are a bit finicky. When sled is stored set them down, not on the rails. Also they will bend, so keep them aligned to drag with curved parr aiming straight down. The wire ones take way less abuse.

carman_65

Ski-doo makes a really good set that are reversible and have lots of down pressure. They also mount further up on the rail to throw more snow along the whole tunnel. Looks like you could mount them on just about any sled. I just installed them on my 2011 Polaris rmk, had to do a little drilling. Rode it around the yard a little bit and looks like they should work great. I also like the retainers they come with to hold them up. BRP Part #: 860201140. View attachment 48891 View attachment 48892

Dave_B

Go with the DuraFlex. You don't have to worry when in reverse. Just make sure you hook them over the skid rails when loading on the the trailer.

groomerdriver

Go with the DuraFlex. You don't have to worry when in reverse. Just make sure you hook them over the skid rails when loading on the the trailer.

X2! Put them on 2 sleds last season and why anybody would run wire scratchers is beyond me. ScottKing - the Duraflex scratchers kick up so much snow that I really only had to run with one down. I'd alternate between the two at stops.

misty_pines

I have had the Duraflex cable type scratchers on my sled also for the past two seasons. They work well. I haven't had problems with mine losing their shape, but if they do, you can bend them back if needed so they continue to work well. If you hook them to your rails frequently in the "up" position, they will wear small grooves in your rail after a while, but I mounted some rubber on the rail to eliminate this. The Duraflex scratchers cost more, but you won't bend or break them when you go in reverse.

frosty

I miss not worrying about the wire ones but the wire ones kick up much more snow! cable ones are pretty good when new but seemed to have less pressure on the ground after while!

Scottiking OUT

How big of a stud did you install on the ski? How far back and was it centered?

dan72499

Duraflex work great, I only installed 1 on the side rail and they kicked up so much snow.It was unreal.My buddy ran with me for 100 miles and he has same sled and about every 15 miles that day .he had to stop and let his machine cool down.And boy is that annoying. so we headed back to the cabin and drove 80 miles up to minocqa and spent 75.00 and we stuck them on and rode all day and the next morning when the snow was crusty and never had to stop again... When installing them along the rail.stay center or higher yet. and I even took one boogie wheel off on the outer and when you have 2 holes already in the rail for that boogie,i drilled the other hole bigger for the ice scratcher bolt to work.and leave the boogie off. And had no issues with the hi-fax. I did it on a 2007 iq,2008 dragon,2012 rush switchback,2013 switchback.and I will do it again if neede on a 2015 axys 800.

indy_500

Scottiking OUT

I tried the stud in the ski on one of my sleds and it never saw snow. May not be an issue if your sled doesn't get trailered but I went to try and load it up and couldn't get the sled on a tilt trailer. As soon as the ski tilted the stud dug into the pavement and the sled came to a halt. Not to mention it tore up my moms driveway pretty bad! Just something to think about. I would imagine it flings some snow though!

scottiking

Depends on the ski keel! I have powderhounds and i just got studs out of a bucket and made sure it was 3/4" off the ground when sitting on the garage floor!
I mounted it on the inside back of the ski just before the rear if the ski turns up!
I never had much trouble with it hurting the cement or trailer when loading!
I have had buddies tell me they can see a nice V spray of snow shooting back into the track area!

Scottiking OUT

I tried the stud in the ski on one of my sleds and it never saw snow. May not be an issue if your sled doesn't get trailered but I went to try and load it up and couldn't get the sled on a tilt trailer. As soon as the ski tilted the stud dug into the pavement and the sled came to a halt. Not to mention it tore up my moms driveway pretty bad! Just something to think about. I would imagine it flings some snow though!

Go Fast or Go Home

I see by a lot of posts that guys run their scratchers down all the time.

Not to start an argument, but why? I only run them in low snow conditions. I do not run them while loading or unloading on a trailer either.

Oh, and by the way I run the cables.

polarisrider1

I see by a lot of posts that guys run their scratchers down all the time.

Not to start an argument, but why? I only run them in low snow conditions. I do not run them while loading or unloading on a trailer either.

Oh, and by the way I run the cables.

I run them down always because of a 2.5" lug with a snow flap that is more show then function. I am very concerned with keeping engine temp consistent. I have 3000 miles on original slides (hyfax). And no issues on the motor 800 Poo. And I want to keep it that way. $80 scratchers are part of my "Ride another day" program. It is also why I am so adament about oil too.