Ice scratcher replacement heads what brand?

lofsfire

I bought a used sled and it has ice scratchers on it but one is missing the tip.

Anyone have any idea what brand of ice scratchers these are? I'm thinking straight line performance...

20210313_130348.jpg
20210313_130404.jpg

ezra

Shocker straight line with busted tip . I tossed those in the trash after the 3rd busted tip that btw cost way to close to the whole junk set up.
Thread a bolt in to it and call it done

lofsfire

Thanks for the info just didn't want to order the wrong thing.

Ezra- This one really didn't break It just came unscrewed. Some loctite would take care of that... But with that said you mentioned the cost being just about as much as the whole setup. After 3 I would assume you're correct, otherwise I found them for 20 bucks for two tips. I've never ran the ice scratchers on my sled before I figured these are on there might as well give them a shot.
And honestly I thought the damn thing was on there when I bought it from the guy.My son only rode it 5 miles in the yard. Then I took it to the shop have them give it a once-over oil change chain case and all the usual prep stuff... When we got up on the trail last weekend it was dragging. As you can see they were zip tied in place. So that was a little bit of a shock but then I realized the tip was gone. So I'm not sure if it happened in the backyard or when we were on the trail somewhere either way it needs a new one.

If I end up not liking these do you have another brand you recommend. I actually thought SLP we're supposed to be good?

old abe

Thanks for the info just didn't want to order the wrong thing.

Ezra- This one really didn't break It just came unscrewed. Some loctite would take care of that... But with that said you mentioned the cost being just about as much as the whole setup. After 3 I would assume you're correct, otherwise I found them for 20 bucks for two tips. I've never ran the ice scratchers on my sled before I figured these are on there might as well give them a shot.
And honestly I thought the damn thing was on there when I bought it from the guy.My son only rode it 5 miles in the yard. Then I took it to the shop have them give it a once-over oil change chain case and all the usual prep stuff... When we got up on the trail last weekend it was dragging. As you can see they were zip tied in place. So that was a little bit of a shock but then I realized the tip was gone. So I'm not sure if it happened in the backyard or when we were on the trail somewhere either way it needs a new one.

If I end up not liking these do you have another brand you recommend. I actually thought SLP we're supposed to be good?

I highly recommend "Trail Blizzer" made by Qualipieces in Canada! Hands down the very best "cable" type ice scratchers, period. Check them out.

lofsfire

Thanks for the info I've seen those roller wheels they have before. They do look like they have interesting products.

rlspol

I agree with Old Abe, sold the first sled they were on and in second year on second sled, hands down the best. They may cost a little more but well worth the money.

old abe

I agree with Old Abe, sold the first sled they were on and in second year on second sled, hands down the best. They may cost a little more but well worth the money.

Yeah, well they are very well made, and they can't turn, or come loose. Top quality as are all of their products, eh.

xcr440

As @rp7x has stated in the past, a stud in the back corner of the ski works wonders. Rode with a guy on an older Yamaha this year, and that single stud in each ski was really throwing the snow around.

indy_500

As @rp7x has stated in the past, a stud in the back corner of the ski works wonders. Rode with a guy on an older Yamaha this year, and that single stud in each ski was really throwing the snow around.
<br>Agreed, works well, but makes it VERY difficult to load onto a tilt trailer 

favoritos

I've used Qualipieces, Duraflex, and SLP. Funny thing, I've never cross referenced them. I believe they all use the same thread for the tips. Might be worth checking and just use the cheapest one you can find. I tried all the brands to see what lasted longest. I had the tips fail no matter which brand. High speed and a few loose rocks will destroy them fast. The curved tips bend back. The carbide tips shatter the the carbide off. When I need scratchers, I carry spares and wrenches.
I try not to ever use them unless needed. Just hanging them on the rails or hangers didn't work real well. They would briefly pop off and get destroyed. I've learned (slowly), to just wire them up until needed.

xcr440

^^ I've had the same experience. Even when the carbide tips are gone, the Duraflex ones still throw a fair amount of snow. I usually slice a few inches of old garden hose in half, zip tie that to the rails where they will sit, and zip tie the scratcher to them. They stay in place until you cut the zip tie.

And yes, I always have a couple spares along for those late spring frozen trail rides.....

old abe

Whoa, the curved tips bend back? How in the world did you accomplish that feat? I've never had any of what the 2 posts above describe happen with Duraflex, or Trail Blizzers. I only use them when needed, and never cross RR tracks with them down. I store/hook them in vinyl polymer coated wire loom bolted to the rail. When I bolt the Duraflex arm to the rail, I put a thick/aggressive "star" washer between the arm and the rail to hold them in place. No need of this with the "indexed fixture" of the Trail Blizzers.

Hoosier

Just got back from a few days of riding ice in the UP. Had the spi/ski-doo coiled spring type. Broke one of them off. Had to have them down pretty much constantly.

favoritos

Whoa, the curved tips bend back? How in the world did you accomplish that feat?

I wish there was a simple answer. I call em clangers. Those rocks that glance past the skis at speed seem to do the trick.
This one is Blizzer. I caught it early and bent the tip back a little with box wrenches along the trail.
20180217_125047.jpg
I didn't catch this one in time, so I flipped the tip and tied it after the picture. (That was before I carried spares.)
20171231_124858.jpg
Scratchers are a wear item IMHO, that just add to the expense of riding. I am super diligent about not using them unless needed. I lift them across pavement or anywhere they might catch. I have gotten used to looking down while riding to make sure they aren't dragging by accident.
I've experimented with various hangers and also used regular wire scratchers hanging off the rail. Wire scratchers seem to hang better with clangers because they don't stick out as much. I zip tie that style to the rail.
I tried boogie wheel hangers this season with both style scratchers. They actually work fairly well. Wire scratchers stay put for the most part. Cable scratchers broke the zip ties holding them. I switched to double looped safety wire.
I've learned a little about scratchers through the years and I keep looking for something better. The main goal is to find scratchers that do the job when needed and stay up when not needed. I'd be plenty happy going riding without looking at the skid for awhile.

old abe

I wish there was a simple answer. I call em clangers. Those rocks that glance past the skis at speed seem to do the trick.
This one is Blizzer. I caught it early and bent the tip back a little with box wrenches along the trail.
View attachment 62838
I didn't catch this one in time, so I flipped the tip and tied it after the picture. (That was before I carried spares.)
View attachment 62839
Scratchers are a wear item IMHO, that just add to the expense of riding. I am super diligent about not using them unless needed. I lift them across pavement or anywhere they might catch. I have gotten used to looking down while riding to make sure they aren't dragging by accident.
I've experimented with various hangers and also used regular wire scratchers hanging off the rail. Wire scratchers seem to hang better with clangers because they don't stick out as much. I zip tie that style to the rail.
I tried boogie wheel hangers this season with both style scratchers. They actually work fairly well. Wire scratchers stay put for the most part. Cable scratchers broke the zip ties holding them. I switched to double looped safety wire.
I've learned a little about scratchers through the years and I keep looking for something better. The main goal is to find scratchers that do the job when needed and stay up when not needed. I'd be plenty happy going riding without looking at the skid for awhile.

I position my wire loom hangers so that the scratcher goes into it holding position from the top down. The vinyl coating on the hangers prevents the scratcher hooked end from coming out unless I take them out. Plus the loom size is not much larger than the hook end of the scratcher. It workers very well, as they need to be worked to get out. Your eyebolts are smooth and somewhat slipper with ice and snow, especially positioned as you have them. Perhaps you try what I have described, or at least rotate your eyebolts 1/4 of a turn, 90 degrees. Good luck!

favoritos

Old abe. I need one of those thumbs up symbols. :joyous:
The pictures are from earlier attempts. The angle of the eye bolt or hanger is critical as you stated. I found much better luck with your method. My last couple of sleds have idler wheels where I used to locate the hangers. That created a whole new round of testing attempts. Rail mounting meant removing wheels to make the scratchers work. Bummer deal.
It's funny that you mention the vinyl coating. I had dipped those hangers. Too smooth the first attempt, so I roughed up the surface for the next try. I have also used the Blizzer pre-coated hangers. The pre-coated versions held up the longest, but the debris blasting eventually wore off the coating.