If you had $10,000 what stock will you be buying soon?

snobuilder

I'm not a market player but I feel like I need to invest.
HD has been a winner for 9 years straight and went from $248 3 weeks ago to $164 today.

In 2011 it was around $30.00

heckler56

HD has been a winner for 9 years straight and went from $248 3 weeks ago to $164 today.

I think HD is heading for a downturn long term. Baby boomers have had an infatuation with bikes and bought them at a record pace. The younger generations are not as infatuated nor do they have the disposable income. As baby boomers age or their hires start to liquidate the toys, pricing on used will drop precipitously. If you were in the market for one at that time, would buy new or get a well cared for one at a really low price?

WorkHardPlayHrd

Not what stock, stocks. Never put all your money in one place and one sector.

Hardest hit stocks down 60-70% are resorts like wynn and mgm. These will recover, probably staring more toward late summer if things were to settle down. The only cruise line company I would want to put money in is Disney(dis). The company will come back because of it's multiple avenues of revenue. Some of the cruise lines could end up in big trouble depending on how long this lasts.

Catapiler(cat) and John Deere(de) will likely both drop more through earnings in April then stabilize. Once the economy gets over this they will both return to highs.

Airlines American (aal), Delta(dal), and United(ual). Are down between 50-70%. Like the cruise lines they are looking at around an 18 month cycle of recovery.

ExxonMobil (xom), and Philips (psx) will be good to own once the oil fiasco is over. Smaller companies could end up in bankruptcy.

Banks J PMorgan(jpm), Bank of America(bac), Citigroup(c) are taking big hits because of the lowering of interest rates and worry over their own investments and loans. Will likely drop more during earnings in April and then a steady slow rise as people begin to spend and investments recover.

Square(sq) the company that has the little white things that let you swipe credit cards for average people and small businesses is down 50%, as businesses recover so will they. There is also talk of a buyout from a larger company which makes this stock very appealing.

Any company that needs people to buy non essentials will be hurt for a little while. Compare Walmart (wmt) to HomeDepot (hd). Walmart is not taking an ugly hit because they sell essentials. HomeDepot doesn't for most people. If you work in an industry that is getting pinched by this groceries are going to win over home improvements or clothes.

These are all suggestions that could increase around 40-70% safely in the next 18 months if everyone quites freaking out.

Earnings for many of these companies will be in April and will likely have a negative impact due to the fact that they will have poor forecasts for the rest of 2020. If it was my money I would wait till after earnings to invest.

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed broker. I do this on a personal level for my family. If anyone chooses to do anything it is your choice. These are only suggestions.

Disclaimer 2: If we end up in a recession due to illogical fear then we will likely drop another 10-18% in the market. This scenario is possible. Do I want to see it no, but with the way the world is reacting it could happen.

Disclaimer 3: I'm female, and a farmer's wife. Therefore according to general society I'm an idiot.😀

- - - Updated - - -

I think HD is heading for a downturn long term. Baby boomers have had an infatuation with bikes and bought them at a record pace. The younger generations are not as infatuated nor do they have the disposable income. As baby boomers age or their hires start to liquidate the toys, pricing on used will drop precipitously. If you were in the market for one at that time, would buy new or get a well cared for one at a really low price?

By HD I believe he means HomeDepot, Harley Davidson would be HOG on the stock market. They are non essential and will take a hit for a while.

Last edited:

1fujifilm

Yup, yung uns have a passion to experience and brag; not purchase.

H.D. and all motorcycle manufacturers are toast in the cycle segment of their business.
I am a rider and the number of nice new bikes that are 3-5 years old still waiting for a new owner is staggering..some half price.

Bear

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
We invested in AAPL in the early 2,000's. Up until the Virus it had returned more than 400%. Moving forward, once we get past this damn virus they're going to have a back log and waiting list for all their devices. The concern is....wait for it.....most of their product is made in China. So, we're going to ride it out Long Term. Hate to see the losses pile up day after day but sometimes that happens. A couple of common sense reminders; you don't lose a dime until you sell something at a loss. And if you're not prepared to lose it, don't invest in the Stock Market. Bury it in the backyard or stuff your mattress with Benjamin's.

heckler56

Not what stock, stocks. Never put all your money in one place and one sector.

Hardest hit stocks down 60-70% are resorts like wynn and mgm. These will recover, probably staring more toward late summer if things were to settle down. The only cruise line company I would want to put money in is Disney(dis). The company will come back because of it's multiple avenues of revenue. Some of the cruise lines could end up in big trouble depending on how long this lasts.

Catapiler(cat) and John Deere(de) will likely both drop more through earnings in April then stabilize. Once the economy gets over this they will both return to highs.

Airlines American (aal), Delta(dal), and United(ual). Are down between 50-70%. Like the cruise lines they are looking at around an 18 month cycle of recovery.

ExxonMobil (xom), and Philips (psx) will be good to own once the oil fiasco is over. Smaller companies could end up in bankruptcy.

Banks J PMorgan(jpm), Bank of America(bac), Citigroup(c) are taking big hits because of the lowering of interest rates and worry over their own investments and loans. Will likely drop more during earnings in April and then a steady slow rise as people begin to spend and investments recover.

Square(sq) the company that has the little white things that let you swipe credit cards for average people and small businesses is down 50%, as businesses recover so will they. There is also talk of a buyout from a larger company which makes this stock very appealing.

Any company that needs people to buy non essentials will be hurt for a little while. Compare Walmart (wmt) to HomeDepot (hd). Walmart is not taking an ugly hit because they sell essentials. HomeDepot doesn't for most people. If you work in an industry that is getting pinched by this groceries are going to win over home improvements or clothes.

These are all suggestions that could increase around 40-70% safely in the next 18 months if everyone quites freaking out.

Earnings for many of these companies will be in April and will likely have a negative impact due to the fact that they will have poor forecasts for the rest of 2020. If it was my money I would wait till after earnings to invest.

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed broker. I do this on a personal level for my family. If anyone chooses to do anything it is your choice. These are only suggestions.

Disclaimer 2: If we end up in a recession due to illogical fear then we will likely drop another 10-18% in the market. This scenario is possible. Do I want to see it no, but with the way the world is reacting it could happen.

Disclaimer 3: I'm female, and a farmer's wife. Therefore according to general society I'm an idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

By HD I believe he means HomeDepot, Harley Davidson would be HOG on the stock market. They are non essential and will take a hit for a while.

All sage advice. And, I should have paid attention to the HD vs HOG, my bad. I have heard so many boomers lately thing HOG will live on.

whitedust

Soon it will be all tailwinds with cheap stocks and cheap gasoline. Make your picks in tech and blue chip S&P that have taken a hit in the panic. Big investors usually make their buys now thru July then enjoy summer and come back hard September- December just tradition. Only thing I did was move my yearly income into a safe low yield bond fund the rest stays in for the long haul. Disappointed over all but believe stocks will come back very strong in a a short period of time I’m just riding it out as Trump keeps enacting stimulus programs on the fly. If you’re a glass half empty vs half full person then do what you feel is right for you me I’m in for the long haul.

bobt

If you have a deferred comp at work increase your Dollar Cost Average contribution.

Otherwise: AMZN, MSFT and AAPL

Buy on the dip!

1fujifilm

buy a new doo

The business I work at in Green Bay is closing at Midnight this coming Saturday.
I had 100% plans to buy a 21 Doo 6 days ago, now it will take further discounting..at least $500.
I will be off payroll in two weeks..sad.

Bear

Tracker

I been buying....STRYKER MEDICAL and CSRIX Cohen and steers...just sayin

DamageInc

Stocks will likely continue to drop until the Corona scare is over. It's probably not a good time to buy, for most stocks (there are always exceptions). But the worst stock to buy in times of recession or uncertainty, are stocks that are based on discretionary spending. Nobody needs a Harley or a bass boat to survive. Invest in necessities like pharmaceuticals or oil. Right now is a great time to buy oil stocks. BP stock hasn't been this low in over 20 years, and it WILL climb again when oil prices spike the next time.

snobuilder

Stocks will likely continue to drop until the Corona scare is over. It's probably not a good time to buy, for most stocks (there are always exceptions). But the worst stock to buy in times of recession or uncertainty, are stocks that are based on discretionary spending. Nobody needs a Harley or a bass boat to survive. Invest in necessities like pharmaceuticals or oil. Right now is a great time to buy oil stocks. BP stock hasn't been this low in over 20 years, and it WILL climb again when oil prices spike the next time.

HD is The Home Depot.

You might need to build a TP saving bunker quik...you can do it....we can help!

old abe

The business I work at in Green Bay is closing at Midnight this coming Saturday.
I had 100% plans to buy a 21 Doo 6 days ago, now it will take further discounting..at least $500.
I will be off payroll in two weeks..sad.

Bear

This appears as you are trying to "bait" Doo into greater rebate programs?? Interesting at least.