If you had $10,000 what stock will you be buying soon?

pclark

As we see it there have been a lot of places of business that have been forced to close. The local, state, and Federal Government has imposed these sanctions. If they know so much about what is going on and how to correct this why not shut the Stock Markets down for awhile? Surely a little break from this madness would not cause anymore panic than there already is?

old abe

As we see it there have been a lot of places of business that have been forced to close. The local, state, and Federal Government has imposed these sanctions. If they know so much about what is going on and how to correct this why not shut the Stock Markets down for awhile? Surely a little break from this madness would not cause anymore panic than there already is?

I agree!

Tracker

If it's money you don't need, I would put it in VTSAX and let it sit for 20+ years.

Vanguard is absolutely terrible go to morning star VTSAX and you will see that in 5 years it is only gained 3.64% I can do that with the GIA

matti

Vanguard is absolutely terrible go to morning star VTSAX and you will see that in 5 years it is only gained 3.64% I can do that with the GIA

I wouldn't invest in a total stock fund if I needed/wanted the money in 10 years. If I had interest in using the money within 10 years, I would pick something different.

snobuilder

Why would anyone even think of putting a penny in the stock market right now. Did you ever try to catch a falling knife? Let me tell you it isn't pretty. I went though 2008 and watched my Citigroup stock drop to $1 a share. I had corporate bonds that I manage to sell for 60 cents on the dollar. This is far from over.

God help anyone who is watching Trump's advisor when he says "buy the dip."
https://markets.businessinsider.com...s-stocks-plunge-coronavirus-2020-3-1028973182

Yes, I have $10,000 available cash. In fact, I have over 10 times that amount in available cash, but for damn sure I'm not putting a penny in the stock market right now. I'm still 40% in the market and wish I wasn't, but at this point I'm in it for the long haul.

Here is how bad it might get.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlikoff/2020/03/16/how-far-will-the-market-fall/#58854eb177a7

https://www.ccn.com/dow-will-crash-to-13600-if-this-is-as-bad-as-the-2008-crisis/

View attachment 61433

Yur kind of a negative nellie.

Is there a certain smugness that you are enjoying during this man made crisis?

BTW with my calloused hands, catching a knife seems pretty harmless compared to seeing the potential confrontation that the panic my fellow citizens are exhibiting may look like.

also.... the c-19 is able to penetrate and remain this the soft tissue of non-calloused hands no matter how many times you wash and sing happy birthday.

Last edited:

slimcake

I was thinking he's full of crap. Why would you announce on a forum that you have 100k in cash? You know how many times I have bit my tongue when it comes to assets?? Not this Midwest player guy. All of the well to do guys will never brag about it. Especially on the internet....

Tracker

Snowbuilder if you want to make money while market is down you buy shares of Prudential GIA ....to see how much you will earn you take the total amount times .03 then divide that amount by 365...that is how much you make every day regardless of a market crash or not....and that vanguard only makes pennies more but can go lower if there is a crash....GIA is safe...and then you can take out after every one else is penny less and poor....let it sit for 90 days in a brokerage link and then you can invest it again in whatever as th he market climbs

Vanguard would be times .0364 but can tank and leave you poor

I was thinking he's full of crap. Why would you announce on a forum that you have 100k in cash? You know how many times I have bit my tongue when it comes to assets?? Not this Midwest player guy. All of the well to do guys will never brag about it. Especially on the internet....

Just what I thought, what a di-K. Man, to brag that much, his head is swollen , my dad once told me when I was young that money cannot buy you happiness, I’m very happy, and to talk about money or politics always ends up with people pissed off

Yur kind of a negative nellie.

Is there a certain smugness that you are enjoying during this man made crisis?

BTW with my calloused hands, catching a knife seems pretty harmless compared to seeing the potential confrontation that the panic my fellow citizens are exhibiting may look like.

also.... the c-19 is able to penetrate and remain this the soft tissue of non-calloused hands no matter how many times you wash and sing happy birthday.

I don't know from reading your above statement if you think I'm actually talking about catching a physical knife. It is just a metaphor used in investing terminology to describe a risky investment strategy.
https://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-it-mean-to-catch-a-falling-knife.htm

Also please back up your second statement that for non-calloused hands, washing is useless with a link.

By the way, the market was up over 2,000 points today. I used it as an opportunity to move more investments to cash. So you can see my thinking is this is far from over and nowhere near a bottom.

Last edited:

srt20

IDK what its going into, but I am dumping cash into the market. It's $$$$ that will not affect my life if I lose every penny of it. But if it does well...., well.....?

sweeperguy

IDK what its going into, but I am dumping cash into the market. It's $$$$ that will not affect my life if I lose every penny of it. But if it does well...., well.....?

My thoughts (very little formal education) are, putting money in now you will do good. Possibly VERY good. Taking same aporoach, have money that'll be bonus money in retirement. Going to get aggressive with it.

jacinda

Stocks will likely continue to drop until the Corona scare is over. It's probably not a good time to buy, for most stocks (there are always exceptions). But the worst stock to buy in times of recession or uncertainty, are stocks that are based on discretionary spending. Nobody needs a Harley or a bass boat to survive. Invest in necessities like pharmaceuticals or oil. Right now is a great time to buy oil stocks. BP stock hasn't been this low in over 20 years, and it WILL climb again when oil prices spike the next time.

Agree
o.png

1fujifilm

Midwest player is more like Midwest Troll, the guy doesn't even ride snowmobile; who the **** invited him?
Go find another group you have more in common with..PLEASE!

Bear