If you had $10,000 what stock will you be buying soon?

G

G

Stocks will likely continue to drop until the Corona scare is over. It's probably not a good time to buy, for most stocks (there are always exceptions). But the worst stock to buy in times of recession or uncertainty, are stocks that are based on discretionary spending. Nobody needs a Harley or a bass boat to survive. Invest in necessities like pharmaceuticals or oil. Right now is a great time to buy oil stocks. BP stock hasn't been this low in over 20 years, and it WILL climb again when oil prices spike the next time.

You are mostly right. But still too early to go really big on oil. Oil is at least a year out. If you are young maybe but anybody 55 or older there will be much better opportunities than oil.

Tracker

You would of had to buy 4,347 shares at 23 dollars and then have that stock go to 46 dollars per share and then sold....then u would of made 2.3 million

snobuilder

Store was very busy again today....I think ppl are getting delayed projects done and also like the feeling of a normal day when they come in to buy materials.

Heard it said today that corporations will be remembered for how well they treated their employees during this (manufactured) crisis...if that is true, then the Home depot will be remembered fondly in the markets.

They are backing up there "family values" BIG TIME. Never been prouder to be a part of this BIG corp.

chords

Dec 2019 I pulled a large investment out of Chase and parked it in a reg ol' savings acct earning .01 %. Best investment and greatest return I ever made. Not looking to buy into anything. I gonna spend some of it.

Tracker

Dec 2019 I pulled a large investment out of Chase and parked it in a reg ol' savings acct earning .01 %. Best investment and greatest return I ever made. Not looking to buy into anything. I gonna spend some of it.

Haha...so you made 250 on yer 25000 that would of made 2500 at 10%.....what a genius forrest....spend yer 5 tanks of gas wisely o sage....ROTFLMAO

WorkHardPlayHrd

Haha...so you made 250 on yer 25000 that would of made 2500 at 10%.....what a genius forrest....spend yer 5 tanks of gas wisely o sage....ROTFLMAO

Let's say he had $100,000 in Chase at the end of December and yanked it. It then dropped over 40%. That's a loss of $40,000. If he had left it in he would be at around $60,000. Sounds like he made a great move. Sell high, buy low. I guarantee you there are a ton of people out there who wish they had handled their money exactly like he did! You will never always hit it perfect, but that was dang close.

To the person with the John Deere post you would have made $21,000. You would have bought about 909 shares at around $110/share. If you had invested $100,000 in $110 calls for 3/27/2020 at $6.7 per call (which means your buying 100 calls at a crack.) If you had sold at $140 you would have made around $400,000, but if the stock had gone down you would have lost every cent!

Tracker

Work hard play hard....he said regular savings at 1%....that is peanuts....and not a smart move at all...a GIA is last choice at best also but pays 3%...it also is not a smart move ...EXCEPT....you cannot lose anything...and he would of made 3 times the amount doing same thing...to each his own I guess

1% is take 100000 x .01

10% is take 100000 x .1

To make 40,000 you need to take 100,000 x .4 which is 40% profit and that is nearly impossible and unheard of

You stand corrected and he is still forrest

Last edited:

chords

Yes Work Hard, that's exactly how it worked out. So Mr Trackless you keep thinking your way and your wife will be packing your P & J sandwich and 1 Twinkie for your lunch for the next 30 + years.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Work hard play hard....he said regular savings at 1%....that is peanuts....and not a smart move at all...a GIA is last choice at best also but pays 3%...it also is not a smart move ...EXCEPT....you cannot lose anything...and he would of made 3 times the amount doing same thing...to each his own I guess

1% is take 100000 x .01

10% is take 100000 x .1

To make 40,000 you need to take 100,000 x .4 which is 40% profit and that is nearly impossible and unheard of

You stand corrected and he is still forrest

Don't look at what he would have made between December and the end of February. Look at what he would have lost from mid February on. He decided he was happy with what he had made and got out. Take the profit and run.

doospunk

I'm not a market player but I feel like I need to invest.
HD has been a winner for 9 years straight and went from $248 3 weeks ago to $164 today.

In 2011 it was around $30.00

Just my .02. If your going to get into buying stock, you need to be in it for the "long term", and Not hoping for "short term" gains. If you have a slush fund and willing to invest it (and keep it there for an extended period), by all means do, but look into companies that have big potential to grow. It's anyone's guess as to when/where the bottom will be - during these times-. Everyone under the sun will look at the big companies like HD, etc., but professional investors have a keen eye for finding the company's getting no press, with potential for big upside over time. Good luck.

Tracker

Yes Work Hard, that's exactly how it worked out. So Mr Trackless you keep thinking your way and your wife will be packing your P & J sandwich and 1 Twinkie for your lunch for the next 30 + years.

Not likely....yesterday I got a dividend check on one account that has 530+ shares...for .277 per share...that's about 150 bucks that your 1% took a year to make 100 bucks more than that....plus on monday I made 17,000 on health stocks....today lost 2000....it just keeps on a goin up dude...that's the advice I am trying to give you posts back....savings account ain't gonna cut it

chords

I understand - a bank saving acct is not an investment and will not grow over the long haul. My point was I did not see mega buck$ that took years to build up disappear in a weeks time.

eyeman

I did. :( You made a good move, but timing is so speculative. I stayed, I lost.
I understand - a bank saving acct is not an investment and will not grow over the long haul. My point was I did not see mega buck$ that took years to build up disappear in a weeks time.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
We haven't hit the bottom yet. My W.A.G. is that when the virus hits it's peak the market will then stabilize and later still before it starts to grow. Heck, nobody knows.