Illinois finally getting trail stickers

roc

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=096-1291

ITS ABOUT TIME, AS SOME OF YOU KNOW IF YOUR SLED WAS REG IN WI YOU HAD TO GET DUAL REGISTRATION TO RIDE IT OVER THE BOARDER. IVE GONE ROUND AND ROUND WITH THE DNR ABOUT THIS OVER THE YRS-AND JUST TALKED TO THE DNR THE OTHER DAY ABOUT THIS AGAIN. TO CLARIFY WHAT I WAS RECENTLY TOLD BY THE DNR, IT WAS TO MAKE A COPY OF MY WI REG ATTACH IT TO MY ILLINOIS REG FORM AND MAIL IT TO THE DNR WITH A LETTER EXPLAINING WHY I WOULD LIKE DUAL REG AND THEY WOULD REVIEW IT.

Last edited:

longtrack

I think some IL Residents try and beat the system and buy a Wi Registration instead of a Non Resident Wi Trail Permit. It is cheaper in Wisconsin. If you have Wisconsin Registration you do not need a non Resident Wi Trail Permit. Wisconsin allows anyone to buy a Registration because then they get the Sales Tax and Wi Sales Tax is cheaper than IL also. Most WI Residents would never want to ride in IL, but people that actually live there want to ride their Wi Sled in IL.

I think I have this correct, If I don't someone else can chime in.

longtrack

The way I read it is if you are a IL Resident you still need a IL Registration, Only non Residents can buy the trail Pass. They want their Sales Tax from their own Residents.

roc

let me explain it better

not sure what your trying to say? if it reg in your state dont you just buy out state trail permit?

Illinois has never had out of state trail permits, My sleds are at my prop in boulder jct and have they have been reg in wi for many yrs. My friends in illinois ride the local illinois trails by my house, In order for me to ride in illinois i would need dual reg. Illinois has never had an out of state trail permit.

roc

not quite

I think some IL Residents try and beat the system and buy a Wi Registration instead of a Non Resident Wi Trail Permit. It is cheaper in Wisconsin. If you have Wisconsin Registration you do not need a non Resident Wi Trail Permit. Wisconsin allows anyone to buy a Registration because then they get the Sales Tax and Wi Sales Tax is cheaper than IL also. Most WI Residents would never want to ride in IL, but people that actually live there want to ride their Wi Sled in IL.

I think I have this correct, If I don't someone else can chime in.

Longtrack why should i buy an illinois reg if my sleds are in wi 99% of the time, I also pay taxes in wi along with illinois, and also spend a lot of my personal time working for the boulder jct wi club, Im not trying to beat the system. and you are correct maybe once a year i would like to bring my sleds back to illinois to ride after a storm.

michaeladams

is there enough snow in illinoise to warrent registration?not knocking you or any thing but if all i could do is ride in south east wisconsin i wouldn't ride.cause all we have is a couple weeks of riding down here.thank god we have an up north to go to.i guess i'm agreeing with you about not wanting to reg in ill. if you can't really ride there.

swampcat

sticker

WHO in their right mind, would BUY a trail sticker to DITCH BANG or BANG DITCHES in BLAGOville. Thats as bad as IOWA & their trail sticker. ITS JUST A $$$$ GRAB!!!

borderstaff

I live in MN and have my sled registered in MN. But I ride in Wyoming, Montana and the U.P. each year. I have to buy out of state stickers for each state for one weekend of use. I maybe ride 5 weekends a year (they are just long weekends). Why not just pay and stop whining, its not that big a deal - and at least in MN most of the money goes into the trail system for improvements.

larry_d

I would buy an IL trail permit, sticker or whatever it would be called. I live in the Lake Geneva area and the riding has actaully been decent the last few years. Nothing like up north at all though where I do store 2 of my sleds currently. The reason I would do it if I wanted to meet of few of my buddies in the rockford area and head west from there. WHEN there is snow it is supposed to be some good riding. I just would not want get fined. Also people that live in my area are kind of in a jam as we are only about 10 miles north of the Il border and there are a few pit stops just south of the border. Roc was just trying give a heads up to people like myslef.

Another joy of living in a border area could happen to me today that has in the past a few times. I store one of my boats at a farm about 30 miles south of my house. I will roll into IL with no trailer plate. Harvard and Marengo cops have pulled me over for no plate. Then I have to explain the whole wi trailer plate is not neccessary for the weight of my boat and trailer. I show them that boat and truck are registered in Wi, I even carry a copy of the WI regs with me. Then they give me some BS that the plate is neccessary in IL. Then they make a few calls and hopefully let me continue. Time do go with the boat, my fingers are crossed!

Last edited:

harvest1121

I live in Illinois bought a snowmobile in Indiana. I sent all the forms in to Illinois so they could get the sales tax. Well they said they needed all these other forms and other things signed. I called Wisconsin had my registration in 2 weeks. That is the reason I will not register in Illinois. I try to give them $700 and they want me to do extra things to give them money. I figure I ride 90% in Wi or Mi so I rather them get the money. We have the I and M canal by is but have not saw a groomer on that in years. It would be better Illinois to have a trail permit they might get more people to buy them rather then just not ride here when we do get snow.

is there enough snow in illinoise to warrent registration?not knocking you or any thing but if all i could do is ride in south east wisconsin i wouldn't ride.cause all we have is a couple weeks of riding down here.thank god we have an up north to go to.i guess i'm agreeing with you about not wanting to reg in ill. if you can't really ride there.

We get 40'' a year It not worth buying a trail pass or registration in IL ,just another way of getting $$$ for this corrupt state..
Down where i live you can ride in the (If we get snow)forest persevers for $40.00 for a 9 month pass not even a 12 month pass, plus your Il sled registration.....Its a joke

The I&m is buzzard and can get you killed .The extra money from the passes will go in some politians pocket not for a new trail groomer.. my .02

Last edited:

nickels

Longtrack why should i buy an illinois reg if my sleds are in wi 99% of the time, I also pay taxes in wi along with illinois, and also spend a lot of my personal time working for the boulder jct wi club, Im not trying to beat the system. and you are correct maybe once a year i would like to bring my sleds back to illinois to ride after a storm.

If you want to ride legally in IL that one time a year you need the registration from IL. Isn't $18 for 3 years? I hear so many people bitching about not wanting to have to reg in IL it's $6 a year. Not singling you out just read similar stuff all the time.

3_old_jags

WI registation rules

The fact is simple the state DNR laws do not work with the consumers. Roc and many others store their snowmobiles in WI while being IL residents. Read the WI law below from the DNR's website you are required to be registered in WI. However, if you bring it down to IL and ride you are illegal because IL residents are required to register in IL. The problem is the states don't work well together. We all enjoy nice trails and the Fees for trails stickers or registration's are not killing us it's the Goverment!

Nonresidents—As a nonresident, you may
operate your snowmobile in Wisconsin with your state’s current registration
as long as the decal or proof of registration is prominently displayed
and the snowmobile and the machine has not been in Wisconsin for
more than 15 consecutive days. The proof of registration from your
home state must be carried with you while riding and must be presented
to an enforcement officer when requested. However, you should be
aware that an out of state registered snowmobile that is in Wisconsin
for longer than 15 days must be registered in Wisconsin.
 Trail Pass. In addition, an out of state registered snowmobile
must display a Wisconsin Nonresident Snowmobile Trail Pass
anytime it is ridden on the trails. Nonresident Snowmobile Trail
Passes can be purchased at any DNR office or license vendor,
or on-line at www.dnr.wi.gov. The Nonresident Snowmobile
Trail Pass is valid for one year and must be displayed directly
on the front of the snowmobile windshield. Once attached, it
cannot be transferred to any other snowmobile. Fee—$35.

harvest1121

The problem Illinois makes it a hassle to register a snowmobile. You call Wisconsin and you get it right away. Wisconsin you see what you get for your money Illinois you have no idea where it goes.

yamadooed

The registrations forms are really simple in either of the states... Most of these types of posts are simply trying to avoid paying taxes or fees which is an amazing 6 bones a year...

harvest1121

Read all my post I tried to give them $700 in tax I paid to Indiana. I am not going to go out of my way to pay someone who does not want the money.