Illinois finally getting trail stickers

trail pass nonsense

$6 a year for reistration isnt really the issue for me, its trail passes for a place that you can seldum ride . Im 38 been sleding since 16 and never seen a groomer in IL just high taxes and fees..
I applied for my registration for my new sled 3 months ago and still havent got it ,they must really be busy .They prob have a ton of sleds to register getting ready for all that snowfall that visit's IL annually. lol

nickels

The fact is simple the state DNR laws do not work with the consumers. Roc and many others store their snowmobiles in WI while being IL residents. Read the WI law below from the DNR's website you are required to be registered in WI. However, if you bring it down to IL and ride you are illegal because IL residents are required to register in IL. The problem is the states don't work well together. We all enjoy nice trails and the Fees for trails stickers or registration's are not killing us it's the Goverment!

Nonresidents—As a nonresident, you may
operate your snowmobile in Wisconsin with your state’s current registration
as long as the decal or proof of registration is prominently displayed
and the snowmobile and the machine has not been in Wisconsin for
more than 15 consecutive days. The proof of registration from your
home state must be carried with you while riding and must be presented
to an enforcement officer when requested. However, you should be
aware that an out of state registered snowmobile that is in Wisconsin
for longer than 15 days must be registered in Wisconsin.
 Trail Pass. In addition, an out of state registered snowmobile
must display a Wisconsin Nonresident Snowmobile Trail Pass
anytime it is ridden on the trails. Nonresident Snowmobile Trail
Passes can be purchased at any DNR office or license vendor,
or on-line at www.dnr.wi.gov. The Nonresident Snowmobile
Trail Pass is valid for one year and must be displayed directly
on the front of the snowmobile windshield. Once attached, it
cannot be transferred to any other snowmobile. Fee—$35.
Register your sled in both states then no you don't buy the out of state trail permit. I've been doing this since WI started the trail permit. I haven't had a problem reg a sled in either state.

Cat Woman

I applied for my registration for my new sled 3 months ago and still havent got it ,they must really be busy .They prob have a ton of sleds to register getting ready for all that snowfall that visit's IL annually. lol

Wow, I just renewed mine online for IL and received it in about 4 weeks. Not sure if you snail mailed it but maybe thats the difference?

jakester

registration

For those of you that are interested in riding in Illinois, Mchenry county has alot of miles of good trails. They also have groomers and when there is good enough snow,the trails are groomed. I, unfortunately got out of sledding this year, but belonged to the Richmond Trailblazers for 34yrs. Was trailboss some years and left after being V.P. a few yrs. Like I've preached in the past-- if you are really into sledding join a club. THe Mchenry County trails connect with Walworth County in Wisconsin. I started doing a duel registration for both states and buy my Michigan sticker in the U.P. Anyone that is interested in marking trails in mchenry county can contact the trailblazers. They have a web site. I know marking will start the weekend of thanksgiving. Enjoy the trails, because I know I will miss them this year!

nick

IL riders. First and foremost....JOIN A CLUB! Simple! If it wasn't for the clubs, there would be no trails, events, etc. Ok, off my soap box.

Secondly, I register my sled in both WI and IL to avoid all the hassles. Yes, IL is ridiculously slow compared to WI when it comes to processing the sticker. Mostly on new sled registrations for IL. They do take forever down there. I do KNOW FOR A FACT the IL DNR will be out more this year and years to come so, for me, it's not worth the headache of buying a trail pass here and there. I just register the sled in both states and ride! If it's good, I will be out pinning the fun flipper no matter what state I am in. Winter is too short of a season to mess around!

swampcat

dnr

How do you - know for a fact - they will be out? Are YOU one of THEM. MY crystal ball does not seem so clear. Il is BROKE.

pman

Illinois is not the easiest to register in. I bought a 2006 GSX 500SS in 2007 (used) from Bergland, MI and tried to register it in Illinois. Illinois needs a serial number for the chassis and the motor. The chassis is easy, the motor is not. I called Ski-Doo, a few dealers and looked for the location of the serial number on the motor. Both told me it could be in a few different locations, some of which could be buried on the bottom of the motor. Illinois would not register my sled without the serial number on the motor. I registered it online in Wisconsin in about 7 minutes. My Yamaha that I registered about 7 years ago is fine. That was before Illinois started asking for motor serial numbers also.

harvest1121

I can see the DNR being out in full force. I know when the forest preserve police is giving tickets for expired tags they are looking for any small infraction to generate revenue.

nick

How do you - know for a fact - they will be out? Are YOU one of THEM. MY crystal ball does not seem so clear. Il is BROKE.

Cause I have been stopped by them and our Region Director is one of them. In fact, he was the one that waved me over to the side of trail. We have MONTHLY conversations about this VERY topic. Trust me, they WILL be out. More and more volunteers are willing to help and the sleds are grant funded. Join a club. You'll gain knowledge on this very topic.

Here is 3 pictures from late January 2010. They stopped EVERYONE that was going by:

il_riding_100110_16.jpg

il_riding_100110_15.jpg

il_riding_100110_17.jpg

polarisrider1

Let's simplify this whole matter. Bring your sleds to Michigan to ride. We don't care if it is registered in Timbuktoo. All we ask is you buy a MI trail permit and stay to the right. Buying a trail permit here is a piece of cake, hundreds of locations sell them, none has ever asked me for any proof of registration or anything of the sort. Besides we also have snow in the winter!!! Bonus.! Register your sled for where you live and permit it for where you ride it. I have Michigan, Ontario, Montana and Wyoming and soon to have Utah permits on my sled. It is part of the program.

larry_d

Polaris rider - Maybe you should read the original post. I register my sled where I live, WI and I will buy a MI trail pass when up north. It is currently a nightmare to even get the IL DNR to answer the phone and thier website is a joke. Next year as ROC stated they will have a trail pass and hopefully one can purchase it from a local retailer making things much easier. I live about 10 miles from the WI/IL border and like to ride in the area and cross into IL not very often (and who wants a ticket) when there is snow. I am so bored with all the negative comments saying that you cannot ride down in this area. I work for myself and if there is snow on the ground we ride. It may be only around for a few days but we ride. I love going up north and hope to do so often this season. So when all of you south bashers are pounding sand in your garage talking about riding, we are out having fun on the sleds or out on the ice with flags up!

Last edited:

yamadooed

So now you either buy a $25 trail pass or register yer sled in Il for $18 for three years... Being a resident of WI or any other state you never had to pay anything to ride in IL except for yer states registration...

If you actually read thru the new law you'll see its a big win for snowmobiling as 50% of the fee's goes right back into the sport...
(mandatory liability insurance isn't a bad idea for any state)

larry_d

I am trying to register my sled in IL and I get the savings aspect of it. It is just a nightmare to get them to help. Go to the IL DNR website and loook at the "downloadable" application. The doc saved as a pdf file was scanned so poorly it is unusable. I would buy the trail permit for more money just so I do not have have to deal with the IL DNR. Come to think about it, maybe that is what they want. Make it such a hassle to get the cheap three year registration or pay $25.00 per year for a trail permit. Makes you think a little bit ha?

zrgrl

Wow they are just going to get us from anyway they can! We are already broke and have no jobs and now they want us to fork out more money for more insurance! Ridiculous! I <3 Illinois...