Is Arctic Cat F5 big enough??

Cat_man

I am an avid snowmobillier but have been riding an outdated sled from the 90's. I am your basic trail rider and play around a little off trial. I found a nice 2004 F5 for sale, but not sure if that is a big enough sled for me. I am about 6'2" 230lbs. I don't need a sled that gets up to 80-100, I am not that type of rider. Looking for feedback.

mezz

Let's start by saying, you would definetly benefit from the updated suspension over a '90's era sled by leaps & bounds. As far as saying is a 500cc big enough, well, that has to be a choice you will have to make. Weigh out what what you ride now & try to compare the perspective purchase against it. How much are going to have to spend to up-date your current ride? How much would you have to spend if you went with a bigger motor? If your getting a good deal on the 500, then pull the trigger.-Mezz

dickmsp

Get something rider forward!! I'm 6'4", 220. I started riding the winter of '03-'04.. Bought an 03 Polaris Classic (old body style) and at the end of the season, a close out '04 Ski-doo rev (GSX Limited 600 SDI). I couldn't believe the difference!! How in the heck did all you guys ride the old body style sleds for so long???? No wonder why 100 miles was a long day and you needed a hot tub after 100 miles!! The rider forward will fit your tall frame better, and yes, suspensions are better. For about the same or a tic more money, you can get a good used rider forward sled from any manufacturer. As far as the 500, one of my sleds is a 2011 F-5 LXR and I'm surprised at how fast it is "corner to corner." Good luck, and let us know what you get

Cat_man

I will add another question to the thread and ask for reviews on 04' F5 SnoPro. How is the ride? Any pros or cons about the sled in general.

Thanks

whitedust

Sit down sled with a 2s 500cc engine not much of an upgrade from late 90s. Better yes but you would be much better off with a rider forward sled & most of RF sleds are 600s so you won't be lacking HP or asking the HP question. Once you own a RF you will HATE sit down sleds & wonder why you did not upgrade sooner.

indy_500

That 500 apv is close to 105 hp. Plenty of punch for a 500. Much rather be riding a firecat chassis than a twin spar... Just sayin'

mvedepo

Save your money till you can get a rider forward sled. I am 6' 2" 240 and now can't stand the prehistoric ride of the sit down sleds.

Hoosier

That 500 apv is close to 105 hp. Plenty of punch for a 500. Much rather be riding a firecat chassis than a twin spar... Just sayin'

Indy, why don't you like the twin spar? That chassis is supposed to be an incredible ride. I like the way the firecats ride but I haven't ridden a twin spar.

mvedepo

Gotta agree with Hoosier. Haven't heard too many complaints from the twin spar guys. Most of them sing the praises of the chassis.

mezz

I will add another question to the thread and ask for reviews on 04' F5 SnoPro. How is the ride? Any pros or cons about the sled in general.

Thanks

I have to agree with Indy's .02, the motor has enough, especially since you stated your not into it for the speed. IMO, you would really enjoy the ride. I will bring this to your attention, that being the track width on those models. It is a 13-1/2" wide track, not the 15". The length is a 128" which is not an issue, as they will bridge bumps a bit better than a 121, but, not like a 136, 141 or 144 +. Aside from appearing tippy, IMO, for my particular kind of riding (backwoods) the 13 1/2" width would not provide real good floatation off the beaten path. That is main reason I passed on the early F's, you will also note, they (Cat) do not produce a sled with that width track any longer, however, if your into mostly trail riding, it should be fine. Perhaps someone out there who is still on an "F" can give you a more objective opinion on the real world ride rather than my speculation. Good Luck.-Mezz

Cat_man

Well seems like I at least have a few guys with some good opinions. Budget is going to be $3500-$4000 tops. Just can't justify paying huge dollars since a good year for me might be 600-700 miles. (Southern MN has not been a hot bed for snow minus last year....and two kids under the age of 4........one big trip to the UP and local riding might be the extent) Would think this could get me an 04-05 600cc sled. Not even brand specific at this point, just want a good reliable sled. So keep me in mind if you guys hear or see anything around. I'm about 45 min. south of Mpls/St. Paul

mvedepo

Look for an 05ish Rev 500SS or even an 04-05 RX-1 or Warrior with an Apex seat. Not TRUE rider forward but MUCH better than traditional sitdown.

Last edited:

jr37

I think you will be happier sticking with a 600. I have had a 600 for many years now, and I like it. A couple years ago I rented a 500 for a day, and was not impressed at all. After years on a 600, the 500 just didn't get the job done for me.
Just my 2 cents.

bearrassler

I have run Polaris 500's since 1999 and am almost always the biggest guy in the group and have the smallest motor, but I have not had trouble keeping up with anyone (I usually lead the group). It is a little light on power if the snow is very deep when we run off trail but on trail works great. My next one will be bigger though because I am riding more off trail every year.

ezra

no only the 03 f5 was the powerfull f5 and it was close to 110 out of the box.after 03 they did not have the twin carb or the good ecu program.that said a 05 f5 is still quick and will take any fuji 500 all day plenty of power for a ditch banger and the f is a huge upgrade from mid 90s stuff.most stock 03 f5 will take most stock 600s

ezra

I for 1 just dont like how high you sit on a assault/rmk compared to a M/xfire and they say the M is a mid way rider forward just my 2cents I just feel to tall true rider forward

indy_500

Indy, why don't you like the twin spar? That chassis is supposed to be an incredible ride. I like the way the firecats ride but I haven't ridden a twin spar.
Heavy and ugly. Firecat rides on rails, beats the twin spar in handling any day.

mvedepo

Depends on what you are looking for. The Firecat MAY rail better but at the expense of your knees and back. When the trails get beat up there is NO substitute for a rider forward chassis. There is a reason they have taken over the industry. Though I do agree that the twin spar is one ugly sled. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people think my Nytro is ugly. I did too at first. But after riding it for a few seasons and getting it set up right I LOVE everything about it! Especially this year since it's going to be putting out 220+ HP. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lRAI2lbpwY

Last edited: