Island Park Idaho

LakeVilla

Any recommendations on places to stay with access to trails?
We were at Milwaukee show and picked up some information on Holiday Inn in West Yellowstone. Anyone have some hidden gems they would be willing to share. Our group is about 5-6 riders.
Thanks in advance for your help

jmom800x

check out islandparksnowmobiling.com or islandparkcabingandlodges.com.....they have huge cabins, rentals, and are right in the middle of all the good riding. If you want a group to hook up with or would like your sleds hauled out, pm me for details on affordable rates and packages.

Hoosier

If you are driving from the midwest (say the greater chicagoland area), how much further is the Island Park area than the Togwotee area?

polarisrider1

If you are driving from the midwest (say the greater chicagoland area), how much further is the Island Park area than the Togwotee area?
I think it is 40-50 miles if that. Togwotee I go out on 80 and IP I take 90. Tog. from Grand Rapids, Mi is 25 hrs. and to IP was 26hrs. stopping only for gas.

LakeVilla

Polarisrider1/Jmom800X,
Thanks for the websites - a lot of great information.

JMOM - do your trips have pickup/dropoffs in Illinois? We are close to the Wisconsin/Il border (I94)

xcsks

Pond's Lodge

We stayed at Pond's Lodge last year, very happy with everything there. New and some remodeled cabins, great food, nice people. We rented from a place just down the road from them, got a discount because we were staying at Pond's. The timing was great as they just got dumped on, most snow I've ever ridden in all of the trips we've been out west.

Hoosier

I think it is 40-50 miles if that. Togwotee I go out on 80 and IP I take 90. Tog. from Grand Rapids, Mi is 25 hrs. and to IP was 26hrs. stopping only for gas.

I assumed it would be quite a bit longer, just looking at the map. I didn't want to rely on mapquest for going through the mountains, that's why I asked here. I haven't heard a lot about the Island Park area until this year...can someone who has been to both compare/contrast it to the Togwotee area?

I should not have made my 2nd trip to the Tog area last year...the thin air is in my blood now I think and I want to go back.

polarisrider1

I assumed it would be quite a bit longer, just looking at the map. I didn't want to rely on mapquest for going through the mountains, that's why I asked here. I haven't heard a lot about the Island Park area until this year...can someone who has been to both compare/contrast it to the Togwotee area?

I should not have made my 2nd trip to the Tog area last year...the thin air is in my blood now I think and I want to go back.
IP is at lower altitude, sleeping is easier, IP has lots of gas stations, places to eat, tons more places to stay, Trails are set up to make it less likely to get lost. IP is a smaller riding area over all. IP you will need to buy Idaho and Montana trail permits. Tog. is much more vast, remote. Tog. you will need just Wyoming trail permit. Cooke City is also fun, but much more intense with more Avy areas. I like them all. I found that riding in Tog. area and staying at Lava mtn. with it's lower elevation makes sleeping much easier. I feel that at Togwotee you should have a guide and IP you can get by without one if you have GPS and the trail map they provide. IP is more self explanitory than Togwotee. All three have beautiful scenery. Snowies was not for me, no gas by mtn., windy most all the time (99%) had to trailer up everyday,etc. but I have been told I was not in the right area there.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
...can someone who has been to both compare/contrast it to the Togwotee area?

While I have not ridden IP, we were setting up a trip to go there a year or two ago and I was told by the person who was to be our guide (and others that have ridden there) that we all needed to bring gas cans because it is a 15-20 mile ride from town just to get to the off trail spots. Off trail riding at Tog starts about 1/4 mile away from the lodge.

-John

jmom800x

Chicago to IP is around 1,500 miles one way.
Chicago to Tog is around 1,400 miles one way.
Chicago to Snowys is around 1,150 miles one way

As far a riding areas....being that IP and Tog are only 100 miles apart, the terrain is much alike. At each place you can find a huge variety of differing areas to ride. IP has around 600 miles of groomed trails and Tog also has around 600 miles of trails. Both offer about the same amount of 'open' areas at around 2.5 million acres.

As Wayne said, at tog you are ON the mountain and at IP you are comfortably in the valley. That being said, at IP you will have a short distance to the hills, some closer than others. The same can be said for Tog if you plan to venture to the well know riding areas ie Austin, Brooks, Lava, Leighty. It all depends on what area of each place you would like to go. At Island Park you can rely on the trails to take you to some great sights. At Tog, rely on their guides or you will miss a lot.

IF you ride out of West Yellowstone, MT you will need both permits since most of the riding area is in IP.
However if you ride out of IP, buying a Montana permit and visiting Montana is not necessary unless you want miles or just for the experience.

Being that they are so close I think it is all a matter of opinion to the rider. Do you like Pepsi Cola or Coke?
These would be the 3 most important factors.
How much do you want to spend?
Would you like more amenities or less options?
What type of riding would you like to do?

jmom800x

Polarisrider1/Jmom800X,
Thanks for the websites - a lot of great information.

JMOM - do your trips have pickup/dropoffs in Illinois? We are close to the Wisconsin/Il border (I94)

We do pick up / drop off in Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, ND, and SD.
We hit the 90/94 corridor almost every trip.....

Last edited:

Hoosier

Thanks for all the info. It is helpful.

As far as what we like to ride, we're essentially midwest trail riders that wanted to go out West to ride off-trail. So the two times we went, we went to Togwotee as it seems to be THE all-around best spot to go for off-trail riding, at least from what I've read on this site. We didn't consider the snowies, even though it is quite a bit closer, because I've read on here and elsewhere that you have to know where you are going, and that wind is frequently an issue, conditions change quickly, etc. We didn't and probably wouldn't consider Cooke right now because it seems to be too extreme for our riding. Just don't want to mess with the increased avalanche risks, etc., and none of us are extreme riders. The last time we went, we rode for 4 days - the 1st and 3rd with Lefty as a guide and the 2nd and 4th on our own. That worked out really well for us, as the days we rode with Lefty we learned a ton and experienced a ton, all while riding areas we would never do on our own. But it was nice to mix in a couple more leisurely days were we got to do our own exploring. Those were great days also.

So, to answer jmom's questions, we are intermediate off-trail riders AT BEST (probably closer to beginner), and we enjoy learning new skills as well as exploring. We wouldn't mind riding 15-20 miles to get to the playgrounds, as long as it isn't 3 ft moguls the whole way. Amenities such as food and bars are way down the list for us. As long as we can enjoy a few drinks at the end of the night, we are happy. The two times we rode the Tog area, we stayed at Turpin Meadow to save some $, although we ended up riding with guides from Tog the 2nd trip anyway. Sled rental would be required, as we all currently own trail sleds. And cost is a consideration, although taking a trip that far from home and renting sleds is going to be a certain amount of money no matter what, so I wouldn't want to ruin the trip to try to save $100.

It will probably be 2 seasons from now before the next trip West, but I'm interested in learning all I can about the various locations.

Last edited:

Hoosier

IP is at lower altitude, sleeping is easier, IP has lots of gas stations, places to eat, tons more places to stay, Trails are set up to make it less likely to get lost. IP is a smaller riding area over all. IP you will need to buy Idaho and Montana trail permits. Tog. is much more vast, remote. Tog. you will need just Wyoming trail permit. Cooke City is also fun, but much more intense with more Avy areas. I like them all. I found that riding in Tog. area and staying at Lava mtn. with it's lower elevation makes sleeping much easier. I feel that at Togwotee you should have a guide and IP you can get by without one if you have GPS and the trail map they provide. IP is more self explanitory than Togwotee. All three have beautiful scenery. Snowies was not for me, no gas by mtn., windy most all the time (99%) had to trailer up everyday,etc. but I have been told I was not in the right area there.

I had trouble sleeping last time we were out there. I never considered the altitude as an issue. We were at Turpin, which is 8 miles from Tog but at a little bit lower altitude.

polarisrider1

I had trouble sleeping last time we were out there. I never considered the altitude as an issue. We were at Turpin, which is 8 miles from Tog but at a little bit lower altitude.
Sleeping good at higher altitude is tough for me. At Tog. I prefer to stay at Lava Mtn. lodge because of lower altitude. Sleeping at Cooke and IP was not an either. If I was you I would do next trip to IP. Great food and lodging. Gas is abundant at many locations. trails are self explanitory. Post #11 by Jacob is perfect for information.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

While I have not ridden IP, we were setting up a trip to go there a year or two ago and I was told by the person who was to be our guide (and others that have ridden there) that we all needed to bring gas cans because it is a 15-20 mile ride from town just to get to the off trail spots. Off trail riding at Tog starts about 1/4 mile away from the lodge.

-John
John, Cooke City is the place you will haul gas especially if you go to Top of the world. At IP riding out at the greatest distance, most remote area, even with Joe (winter_time) and his Dad (traveler) to kegs creek and back side of Mt. Jefferson we did not need to be concerned with gas. We got gas, lunch and a beer at "Shotgun, ID" a wonderful town of about 8-10 people.

Last edited:

RevKev

Chicago to IP is around 1,500 miles one way.
Chicago to Tog is around 1,400 miles one way.
Chicago to Snowys is around 1,150 miles one way

As far a riding areas....being that IP and Tog are only 100 miles apart, the terrain is much alike. At each place you can find a huge variety of differing areas to ride. IP has around 600 miles of groomed trails and Tog also has around 600 miles of trails. Both offer about the same amount of 'open' areas at around 2.5 million acres.

As Wayne said, at tog you are ON the mountain and at IP you are comfortably in the valley. That being said, at IP you will have a short distance to the hills, some closer than others. The same can be said for Tog if you plan to venture to the well know riding areas ie Austin, Brooks, Lava, Leighty. It all depends on what area of each place you would like to go. At Island Park you can rely on the trails to take you to some great sights. At Tog, rely on their guides or you will miss a lot.

IF you ride out of West Yellowstone, MT you will need both permits since most of the riding area is in IP.
However if you ride out of IP, buying a Montana permit and visiting Montana is not necessary unless you want miles or just for the experience.

Being that they are so close I think it is all a matter of opinion to the rider. Do you like Pepsi Cola or Coke?These would be the 3 most important factors.
How much do you want to spend?
Would you like more amenities or less options?
What type of riding would you like to do?

PEPSI:p

polarisrider1

http://www.islandparksnowmobiling.com/snowmobilingpictures/Island_Park_Snowmobiling_Map.jpg John I will find a map showing the gas stations on it. They are spaced out all along hwy.20 between West yellowstone and IP and to the south of IP. There are even snowmobile dealers out in the middle of nowhere on hwy.20. Ask Joe he was at a few of them.

As one can see from this map that the trails run around most of the mtns. and they are loop trails. This makes IP expolring very easy and far less likely to get lost. I have seen 121 and 136" sleds running all around out there having a great time. IP is a great place for people who want a real mix of riding and if anything should go wrong still be able to walk out for help, unlike Wawa and Cooke City which are far more remote.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

http://www.islandparkchamber.org/tmap.html This map shows many but not all fuel spots. There also is Shotgun Bar/store/post office, gas station and a few brand new gas stations on hwy. 20 that are not on the map. Cooke City on the other hand has 2 gas stations in town and that's it. If you do Top of the world east out of Cooke you need Montana and Wyoming trail permits, Afull tank of gas and min. 3 gallons of spare gas. I strapped on a 5 gallon can for the ride over and buried the can In the snow saving it for the trip back.