Island Park Idaho

jmom800x

As one can see from this map that the trails run around most of the mtns. and they are loop trails. This makes IP expolring very easy and far less likely to get lost. I have seen 121 and 136" sleds running all around out there having a great time. .

I've even ran across a whole group of vintage sleds tooling around the trails at IP. And vintage sleds on TOP of Two Tops Mountain, now that was a sight even though the trail goes all the way up, still impressive to see vintage sleds rocking at 9,0000-10,000 ft.

polarisrider1

This is Island Park riding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFWm5NttGPo My very good friend Rob Byrd filmed it. Jacob is the guy with the HMK pull over with white insert. Note: this is not for promotional purpose of any kind. It is to show you the riding that I have enjoyed at IP. Youtube has much more on this location to help you get the idea of what is there.

jmom800x

Thanks for all the info. It is helpful.
So, to answer jmom's questions, we are intermediate off-trail riders AT BEST (probably closer to beginner), and we enjoy learning new skills as well as exploring. We wouldn't mind riding 15-20 miles to get to the playgrounds, as long as it isn't 3 ft moguls the whole way. Amenities such as food and bars are way down the list for us. As long as we can enjoy a few drinks at the end of the night, we are happy.

Sled rental would be required, as we all currently own trail sleds. And cost is a consideration, although taking a trip that far from home and renting sleds is going to be a certain amount of money no matter what, so I wouldn't want to ruin the trip to try to save $100.

Amenities ie....multiple dealers, lodging choices, parts stores, restaurants, gas stations, convenience stores, bars. Being 'on' the mountain can be a costly inconvenience at times.

3 ft moguls are not a common occurrence on the trails out west. If you do find some, I recommend you pick another spot to ride for the day.

Why rent, take your trail sled, get adjusted to the elevation, powder, mountain conditions and other factors for 3 days on over 600 miles of trails. Then rent for the experience or if conditions warrant it for a couple of days. This will save you more than 100 bucks. Then maybe you would not have to skip a season either.

polarisrider1

This year IP trip we are driving out with Smurfriders wife's car. It is a turbo desiel VW wagon that gets 42-43 mpg's running at 70-75 mph. We have Smurfrider, Buck fifty and I riding together, may have room for one more. we split to fuel cost and driving and makes for a very economical trip out. Our sleds are shipped out but rentals are plentiful and of the latest models to choose from. An RMK Pro800 is around $185 per day. If anyone is interested in traveling out in Smurfriders wife's car we will be going approx. March 5-10.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.islandparksnowmobiling.com/snowmobilingpictures/Island_Park_Snowmobiling_Map.jpg John I will find a map showing the gas stations on it. They are spaced out all along hwy.20 between West yellowstone and IP and to the south of IP. There are even snowmobile dealers out in the middle of nowhere on hwy.20. Ask Joe he was at a few of them.

As one can see from this map that the trails run around most of the mtns. and they are loop trails. This makes IP expolring very easy and far less likely to get lost. I have seen 121 and 136" sleds running all around out there having a great time. IP is a great place for people who want a real mix of riding and if anything should go wrong still be able to walk out for help, unlike Wawa and Cooke City which are far more remote.

I was not trying to say anything bad about IP. I have heard LOTS of great things about it and someday I hope to get to experience it.

With that said, we were not going to be riding to the south or to the east of IP. I was told by the guide and 3 others that live in eastern ID and ride the eastern ID/western WY area and who have ridden with our group that our group would not be satisfied with those areas you mentioned. That was why I mentioned the gas can thing as all said the same exact thing about what we would have to do if we stayed in IP and rode where we were going to be riding (not going to divulge any info on that for fear of giving up a good spot that perhaps only locals know about).

Looks like if you want to ride between IP and West, you will be fine.

-John

polarisrider1

I was not trying to say anything bad about IP. I have heard LOTS of great things about it and someday I hope to get to experience it.

With that said, we were not going to be riding to the south or to the east of IP. I was told by the guide and 3 others that live in eastern ID and ride the eastern ID/western WY area and who have ridden with our group that our group would not be satisfied with those areas you mentioned. That was why I mentioned the gas can thing as all said the same exact thing about what we would have to do if we stayed in IP and rode where we were going to be riding (not going to divulge any info on that for fear of giving up a good spot that perhaps only locals know about).

Looks like if you want to ride between IP and West, you will be fine.

-John
You surely will like it there. Most places to stay are on the Cauldron (flatland)Sleeping is at the 6000' riding is at 6800' for the most part. easy on the lungs and heart. Unlike Tog 9800 to 13,000 feet. (I like them all). I did give up a location in an earlier post, but it is for the serious to locate it. West riding is like Northern Ontario, never pass a gas station on a Poo.

skiseadoo

Any recommendations on places to stay with access to trails?
We were at Milwaukee show and picked up some information on Holiday Inn in West Yellowstone. Anyone have some hidden gems they would be willing to share. Our group is about 5-6 riders.
Thanks in advance for your help

I have stayed at the Kelly Inn 2x as part of a package. Pretty nice rooms, pool, hot tub and breakfast. The Holiday Inn has the added
convenience of a bar and restaurant if that is what your group is looking for. It looked to be a pretty nice place. I have used Yellowstone Adventures several times for guide and rental. I think either IP or West are good places. I am looking foward to going back out there once my riding partner has the funds to go again.

longtrack

I think Gas is less of a problem in Island Park than the Tog/Lava Mtn area. If you get down by the green River there was no gas in 09/10.The only time I had gas problems in IP is when my Wife left her Choke on. I usually had a min 140 mile range with my 600 Etec the last 3 years. My new 1200 4Tec may not go as far now.

polarisrider1

I think Gas is less of a problem in Island Park than the Tog/Lava Mtn area. If you get down by the green River there was no gas in 09/10.The only time I had gas problems in IP is when my Wife left her Choke on. I usually had a min 140 mile range with my 600 Etec the last 3 years. My new 1200 4Tec may not go as far now.
Dispite the fact that you ride high mpg sleds, do you agree that the average sled will be fine out there? Even riding out behind the "Sheep Cloning" station and back we had gas. Just fill up when you see a gas station.

polarisrider1

If you do Green River loop we hit centennial loop first and "Shotgun" for gas. The Gas station on the main drag will call Shotgun for you to check if they are even there let alone have gas before you venture out.

longtrack

Planning is everything. We almost ran our Sleds out in the Black Hills last year when we went all the way to the south end. We put $140 in 4 Sleds when we got back to Rec Springs. I think the Big Horns could be a Gas problem, I had to use my pack Tanks a couple times this summer and we were very restricted where we could go this summer with our ATV's because the Snow kept stopping us from riding into the higher elevations in July. It looks like there is enough Snow now at Burgess Jct to take a ride on my Sled.

Hoosier

Amenities ie....multiple dealers, lodging choices, parts stores, restaurants, gas stations, convenience stores, bars. Being 'on' the mountain can be a costly inconvenience at times.

3 ft moguls are not a common occurrence on the trails out west. If you do find some, I recommend you pick another spot to ride for the day.

Why rent, take your trail sled, get adjusted to the elevation, powder, mountain conditions and other factors for 3 days on over 600 miles of trails. Then rent for the experience or if conditions warrant it for a couple of days. This will save you more than 100 bucks. Then maybe you would not have to skip a season either.

I never really considered the idea of taking my trail sled out there. The only way I would do so is with a service like yours obviously. How's that for a plug. We had a great time last season driving 3 guys out in a 4 banger car. Low stress that way and higher speeds compared to pulling a trailer. Anyway, this (and maybe next) will be a very short season for me because of time more than anything (infant twins at home), but my mind is still on riding so I'm learning what I can about where to go next.

timmer72

Anyone heard how the snow is out there? We got a group heading out Jan 9 and probably staying in West Yellowstone. Any comments on where to stay in West? Preferably Hotels.

polarisrider1

Anyone heard how the snow is out there? We got a group heading out Jan 9 and probably staying in West Yellowstone. Any comments on where to stay in West? Preferably Hotels.
Check out www.IslandParkCabinsAndLodges.com The Problem with staying in West Yellowstone is it is a bit of a ride out and back to the "Good" stuff. And you will need a Montana and Idaho permit. If you do Cooke City you will already have the Montana Permit. Those who just get the Montana permit while at West Yellowstone are limited by the state border and those off trail areas where pretty beat up when I was there last year. Idaho has the better off trail. If you do Two top mtn. you are on the line.

timmer72

Thanks!... that's kinda what I've been hearing. Sounds like a repetitive question, but is there much for businesses (gas, hotels, restaurants, bar and grills, etc.) in Island park?

skiseadoo

Thanks!... that's kinda what I've been hearing. Sounds like a repetitive question, but is there much for businesses (gas, hotels, restaurants, bar and grills, etc.) in Island park?

There are several gas stations and places to eat in and around Island Park. There are also a couple of gas stations
south of Island Park. 2 of us are leaving tomorrow to head out there. We will probably stay most of the time in West Yellowstone but may make a cross country to Cave falls in WY. There is more to do at night in West Yellowstone. We plan on mainly trail riding. A friend lives out there and said they are a couple feet light on snow but the trails are good. For powder riding you need to get up to the higher altitudes.

polarisrider1

Oh ya, seems like gas stations a plenty. At the entrance to IP cabins is a Restaurant gas station, store with it all. accross the street is a coffee shop and a snowmobile rental. There is a Poo dealer in West Yellowstone and another somewhere in the IP area. Traveler and wintertime found that place. IP is very easy to figure out with the trail system so easy to follow. Most all trails go around mtns. so eventually you wind up back where you started if you keep making lefts or rights consistantly. I will be out there March 5-10.

timmer72

Thanks guys. Two more quick questions..... Can you get the trail permits from that station right around the cabins? I also heard the trail heads in west yellowstone are right across the street from the comfort inn. Is that a decent place to stay?... like the big parking for our trailers.