Island Park Idaho

polarisrider1

Thanks guys. Two more quick questions..... Can you get the trail permits from that station right around the cabins? I also heard the trail heads in west yellowstone are right across the street from the comfort inn. Is that a decent place to stay?... like the big parking for our trailers.
Pretty much every gas station and lodging and snowmobile related business has trail access. I would not stay in West Yellowstone for the fact you will ride a bit to the east to get to what you really want to ride. If your trail riding for the bulk of your trip and want night life then West Yellowstone would be a bit better. There is no shortage of trails in IP or west Yellowstone. I recall a Super 8 between West Yellowstone and IP. Gas stations are plentiful.

bus8787

We stayed in West Yellowstone and its a great Snowmobile town and
Atmosphere. Plenty of trails in all directions and there was gas outside
of Island Park. Its not that far by trail to find play area's. We stayed at the
Bear Lodge and its was Fantastic. Hospitality in town was second to none.
Fun to take the sleds in town everywhere. Go to the highest elevation points
off the trail and plenty of powder.

winter_time

You surely will like it there. Most places to stay are on the Cauldron (flatland)Sleeping is at the 6000' riding is at 6800' for the most part. easy on the lungs and heart. Unlike Tog 9800 to 13,000 feet. (I like them all). I did give up a location in an earlier post, but it is for the serious to locate it. West riding is like Northern Ontario, never pass a gas station on a Poo.

You sure are right about that. When you do get to that spot you can get into some pretty intense spots to ride. I am hoping to make it back there again next year and this time I think the whole family might go. Ip has such a vast variety of riding that there is no way that you wouldnt be pleased making the trip out there.

polarisrider1

You sure are right about that. When you do get to that spot you can get into some pretty intense spots to ride. I am hoping to make it back there again next year and this time I think the whole family might go. Ip has such a vast variety of riding that there is no way that you wouldnt be pleased making the trip out there.
we made memories there, I think about the day we where up behind the "Sheep Cloning station" on the continental divide and along came a group of locals as we were trying to figure how the heck and if the heck that 600 of your dads was ever coming out of the mtn. side. the way we went in. as a customer of mine calls me ( dang cell phones) and I tried to sound as if I was working back in Michigan tiling a bathroom while sitting on top of the back side of Mt. Jefferson. and the lady said, "It sure sounds windy in that bathroom'. So I took a picture, confessed and sent it to her and said, "see you when I get back". love that Droid............. We were there!!!!!! she waited and thought she had the tile god working for her after that. Kegs is on my to do list again this year. I have some untackled ground to cover and a new sled to do it with.

Last edited:

winter_time

We for sure made some memories. I will never forget riding all over West Yellowstone looking for a tap and die for my exhaust. I even found the Snap On truck out there. I cant wait to ride.

polarisrider1

We for sure made some memories. I will never forget riding all over West Yellowstone looking for a tap and die for my exhaust. I even found the Snap On truck out there. I cant wait to ride.
Make sure your in top form, Cooke has far less choices of repair tools and parts than IP/ West Yellowstone. Bear Claw Bob has a pretty good shop you can use if issues arise. It is heated and he has tons of tools. Who knows I may buy a left handed throttle for you to install for me. lol I know how you like the "projects". 4 weeks and we are there!

winter_time

Haha, I could put that on for you no problem, they are pretty easy. I am pretty bummed right now with the low snow I cant ride and people are not riding so that means that the repair shop is slow.

jmom800x

We stayed in West Yellowstone and its a great Snowmobile town and
Atmosphere. Plenty of trails in all directions

Ya might want to grab a map on the next trip. All directions from West Yellowstone? If you rode to the east you would be out of bounds in Yellowstone Park National Park.

Rode IP last Feb and found it about the same as midwest if you stay on trails. A couple signs were knocked down and busy trails got rough. You can plan off trail of your choosing and quite a few fuel stops if you plan and have a Fremont County map. Not as remote feeling as Tog or Cooke Mt. even though we preferred remote trails.

bus8787

Ya might want to grab a map on the next trip. All directions from West Yellowstone? If you rode to the east you would be out of bounds in Yellowstone Park National Park.
And you can ride in the
park to the east With a Guide in the Park. We had a map and you can ride in
many directions . Am I missing something here???

jmom800x

And you can ride in the
park to the east With a Guide in the Park. We had a map and you can ride in
many directions . Am I missing something here???

Riding a rented 4-stroke for over 200 bucks a day at 25-35 MPH on a designated trail following a guide can be considered riding, I guess.
Not typically what people expect when thinking about mountain riding. Is it really an 'open trail' if you have to rent a sled, follow a guide and stay in a single file line maintaining low speeds.

bus8787

Riding a rented 4-stroke for over 200 bucks a day at 25-35 MPH on a designated trail following a guide can be considered riding, I guess.
Not typically what people expect when thinking about mountain riding. Is it really an 'open trail' if you have to rent a sled, follow a guide and stay in a single file line maintaining low speeds.
It was still a great ride,plus they forgot to put the throttle stop on mine and got up to 70. One day in the park is enough though thats for sure