Island Park

timmer72

So far we have about 8 or 9 going. I'm really diggin the ten day forecast for out there. I was wondering if you guys know about the trail permits out there... I've heard conflicting stories. Here is what i have heard.... You don't need Montana stickers if your sled is registered in a different state, but you do need Idaho stickers regardless. Not a huge deal because we will ride both, but would just like to know.

polarisrider1

So far we have about 8 or 9 going. I'm really diggin the ten day forecast for out there. I was wondering if you guys know about the trail permits out there... I've heard conflicting stories. Here is what i have heard.... You don't need Montana stickers if your sled is registered in a different state, but you do need Idaho stickers regardless. Not a huge deal because we will ride both, but would just like to know.
You will need both Montana and Idaho permits.

RevKev

All the Snow is nice, but it has also raised the Avalanche danger, so be careful.

otter

We were out in yellowstone a week ago and you could ride everywhere, could have used more powder, didn't snow the whole week out there

polarisrider1

Sounds like things have changed. New snow on top of a crust with sugar snow under is not my friend. Beacons, shovels, probes the whole shooting match for the guys I ride with. Walkie talkies are very important too. IP leaving on this coming Saturday morning. Clutching party tonight at the shop. Wohoo!

willey

Wayne, what kind of radios do you use? You interested im doing a little beacon workshop to help myself and my partners see and understand how they work? I plan on doing a little dry run somewhere so everyone knows how they work and it might be nice to have some experienced help!!!

polarisrider1

Wayne, what kind of radios do you use? You interested im doing a little beacon workshop to help myself and my partners see and understand how they work? I plan on doing a little dry run somewhere so everyone knows how they work and it might be nice to have some experienced help!!!
Heck my radios are nothing fancy, bought them at a truck stop on the way out a couple years back. just need them with a few channels. We all set them on the same channel and away we go after testing them. We can do a Beacon Bury and recover, That would be a good idea. We got a guy going who has not been out in 5 years and he could also use the refresh. We are leaving Sat. Morning now do to scheduling conflicts. hope to be riding Sunday afternoon. thru friday. I got 3 of us going out. we will be in the very back row at the very back of the development. Look for the Michiana snowmobile club trailer, it has a huge club logo on it with flags and such. we are staying next door to them. They are a good group out of South Bend area, rode with them in the past at IP and Cooke. We will hang with them at night for toddies and dinner but will ride in our own small group during the day. You guys can tag along with us. I will help you with the maps but our favorite spots I will need to blindfold you! lol.

Last edited:

willey

We have a bunch of motorola two ways that should work. Beacon class sounds awesome! Unit 15 and 16 I believe for us. Secret spots are cool with me. Hopefully we will have some nice face shots pow so blindfolds won't be necessary.

polarisrider1

We have a bunch of motorola two ways that should work. Beacon class sounds awesome! Unit 15 and 16 I believe for us. Secret spots are cool with me. Hopefully we will have some nice face shots pow so blindfolds won't be necessary.
Make sure you look us up. We will get there sometime Sunday it appears for now. Not sure what unit 15 or 16 is? We have an entire house. look for the 4 place trailer with the big Eagle on it.

timmer72

Hey, polarisrider1, Do you know of any areas out there we should avoid because of slides? We will be riding out of West every day. Also wondering if they sometimes shut certain trails down because of slide areas? Heard Lionhead and Big Sky trail can have some suspect areas....Thanks

polarisrider1

Hey, polarisrider1, Do you know of any areas out there we should avoid because of slides? We will be riding out of West every day. Also wondering if they sometimes shut certain trails down because of slide areas? Heard Lionhead and Big Sky trail can have some suspect areas....Thanks
There are slide areas a plenty this year. I do not think a trail would close because of a suspected slide area. (they would have to close most everything) Lionhead gets ripped to shreads from the West Yellowstone crowd. Two top is getting the same way. I have not rode the Big sky trail. If you are riding trails, you will have plenty to ride. If off trail, I can not disclose specifics of where I ride.

timmer72

Thanks for the input. We will probably be doin some trail and off trail.. Yeah I know not to pry for good spots... those are sacred!... Have fun out there!

polarisrider1

3 am. Getting antzy! Looks like snow next two days and then warming up into high thirtys, low forties. Spring riding in t shirts!