John Dee

saber1

My heart felt condolences to the Dee family may his memory be internal

Last edited:

sniska

I was so sad to hear this news. I was fortunate enough to work with John on a few different projects and join him on a couple of rides over the last 10 or so years and after every interaction with him my day was definitely brighter. I'm so glad it worked out to pull him into the Snowmobile the Keweenaw film I did for the visitors bureau, I went to him with an idea of opening the video with one of his forecasts and he brought the film to life with his voice and passion for the sport and the Keweenaw.

My condolences to Nora, Grace, and the rest of the family, you are in my prayers.

kirk600

I am in shock with the news about John, even though I never met him, he was such a big part of my life for so many years. The way he kept his journey public just shows how humble he was, and his legacy will continue.
My condolences to Nora, Grace, and the Dee family and friends!

Mother Nature will be getting her revised schedule from John now.......think snow!

Schwegg

I have been reading John’s weekly blogs for years. It became a ritual for me to read his journals that chronicled a man’s love and appreciation of what is truly important in life. His love for his wife and daughter (and dogs) 😀, the majestic beauty of the UP, his never ending projects (new home as well as the former), Big Red 🤣, all of his friends and neighbors, and his always present ability to find the silver lining despite his many health challenges. He taught me a lot about how to stay focused on what is important in life. I am especially grieving for his loved ones—-Nora and Grace who I know are lost and devastated right now. I too feel like I have lost a treasured friend despite having never met John in person. God speed John—-You have left a hell of a mark on us!!!

pinestump

This is hitting me hard and never talked to the man face to face but chatted several times on the telephone and on-line.
We used the snow tour guides almost 30 years ago or so and John changed me to an off trail ridder from those days on...
Thinking of the entire family and John in Powder Heaven....RIP Buddy

favoritos

Dang it God, you really gathered one of the good guys this time.

It is impossible to find adequate words to describe.
I keep going back to feeling and hoping for Nora and Grace. It's hard. It brings tears just thinking about their pain.

To Nora and Grace, thank you for allowing us to share the journey with this man. I wish there was a way to describe how that journey has affected people along the way. There is a community of people in pain with the loss of your husband/father. I hope it helps a little to know that he meant so much to so many. We share, in a small way, the immense pain you two are living.
That pain is in direct contrast to the joy he brought. It doesn't make it hurt less, but maybe it's helpful to remember the good times and the family/community that gathered around a good man.

bayfly

My condolences to Nora, Gracie, and the entire family. John was a class act and he will continue to affect the lives of so many people through his example of living a life of humble appreciation for the many gifts that the good Lord provides. I am confident that he has found eternal peace and joy with our Heavenly Father. He left this world much too soon, in my opinion, and he will be dearly missed.

5_spot

RIP John and condolences to family. Winter will never be the same. The use part of a title from a thread John started - " The end of an era" .

PackLeader

Wow....almost feels like losing a member of the family. My father had loved snowmobiling as much as John loved snow and was early part of his site. I still remember him being so excited for a weatherman who actually wanted snow! (My Dad was also a Yooper) Condolences to Nora and Gracie and the rest of the Dee clan.

cooksend

I can remember the early days and getting out to ride with John once a year. Great conversation and some super fun rides! He created such a great place for us all to connect. My sincerest condolences to his family and close friends. John will certainly be missed! God took a good man home!

rph130

It took me two days to process this and figure out what to say. My wife grew up next door to the Dee family in Park Ridge Illinois, and although she was a few years older than him, she said that he was a good guy as well as the rest of the family. I never met the man but admired his generosity in providing a great forecast, developing this site for all of us, and sharing his love of all things "snow." I can only imagine the pain that his loss brings to his family as I feel like I know them after all of his journals. The man was an open book from his health issues to his love of Nora, Grace, and all of the hounds over the years. Raised in the Christian faith, I still struggle to see why God would take someone so young, so kind, and still so needed by his family. I guess it's not for me to know. Ill rationalize it by thinking that God needed a kind man that knew how to forecast the weather and share his adventures in heaven. Rest in peace John.

800etec

Total shock here!!!! so sorry to hear this,prayers and thoughts going out to the Dee family and all who knew him. I am sad to say i never met him in person,and yet feel like i knew him.

dynoski

Very sad news of Johns passing. prayers for Nora & Grace. I met John years ago at the Milwaukee Snow Show, we talked for
quite a while on the UP, Snow, Sledding and his love for all three. He didn't know me from Adam, but made you feel like an old
friend. I think after all of us reading his journal for years, we all felt like part of his family. RIP John

marty700

Another really good guy taken from the sledding community at too young an age. I hope this JD Community finds a way to keep going - if for no other reason than to keep his legacy alive in the UP and the Keweenaw.