Landowners and Trails

chords

What incentive ( like a property tax break $$ ) does a landowner receive to decide " Yes I'm ok with a trail thru my property Dec thru March" on the back 40 or nearby within earshot.

If I was a landowner why would I /should I agree to a DNR Trail ? Another words, is the trade off going to benefit me ?

ddhanna

What incentive ( like a property tax break $$ ) does a landowner receive to decide " Yes I'm ok with a trail thru my property Dec thru March" on the back 40 or nearby within earshot.

If I was a landowner why would I /should I agree to a DNR Trail ? Another words, is the trade off going to benefit me ?

In what state? In WI there are additional liabilty issues if being compensated for allowing recreational use.

chords

OK so in WI the owner has the hassle of additional liability issue cost...no benefit there. Lets go with MI

euphoric1

whether there is financial benefit or whatever the incentive may be to the landowner, I think there are many oblivious to how the land owner is the "ultimate benefit" to the trail user and I think some of us sometimes forget that, not all of us but some and its the few that ruin it for many. When people cant stay on trails, cant observe signage I don't blame landowners for not allowing trails to pass, its still their land...not "your" trail.

Last edited:

Attak man

Our club does not pay land owners..we simply can not...it would be unaffordable...and yes...some land owners are now being asked to get paid, or they will close the trails...it just doesn't work that way.

slimcake

Our club does not pay land owners..we simply can not...it would be unaffordable...and yes...some land owners are now being asked to get paid, or they will close the trails...it just doesn't work that way.

Yep. Making payments for easements is terrible slippery slope. We have a "Landowners Appreciation Dinner" every year and wine and dine all the people that let us use their land. So really there is no incentive for people to let us through. You see why its is getting so difficult to keep our trails???

snowshoe

6. Is a landowner liable for those on his property?
[FONT=&quot]Under Wisconsin law, specifically Chapter 350.19 Section 895.52 landowners are not liable for any injury occurring on their property when they have granted permission for snowmobiling, nor does the owner have any responsibility to keep his/her property safe for such activity. A copy of the Wisconsin snowmobile laws is available through the snowmobile club. Please note that most clubs do incur the cost of liability insurance policies to cover injury on snowmobile trails.[/FONT]
https://www.awsc.org/Clubs/Landowners-WI-Snowmobilers-Partnership

Other than having a trail maintained (mowed, brushed, etc) that they can enjoy the rest of the year, our club serves up a very nice catered dinner with free drinks and door prizes. Other than that there is no benefit at least financially for our landowners to allow us snowmobilers to use their private property. Some do it to help the community, local restaurants and taverns. We had a trail that literally went within feet of an elderly man's house. You could read the newspaper he was holding it was so close. He said he enjoyed seeing young families enjoying the winter.

So bottom line is that in Wisconsin we rely 100% on the good graces of our awesome landowners.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
In MI, all landowners are covered against liability with a state-wide insurance policy the DNR provides to the grant sponsors (clubs).

There can be a minimal fee given per a specific distance the trail is on their property, but is does not amount to much at all and is not automatic. Forms have to be filled out and filed.

-John

old abe

https://www.awsc.org/Clubs/Landowners-WI-Snowmobilers-Partnership

Other than having a trail maintained (mowed, brushed, etc) that they can enjoy the rest of the year, our club serves up a very nice catered dinner with free drinks and door prizes. Other than that there is no benefit at least financially for our landowners to allow us snowmobilers to use their private property. Some do it to help the community, local restaurants and taverns. We had a trail that literally went within feet of an elderly man's house. You could read the newspaper he was holding it was so close. He said he enjoyed seeing young families enjoying the winter.

So bottom line is that in Wisconsin we rely 100% on the good graces of our awesome landowners.

Very well stated! Thank you!

bonnevier

We have a "Landowners Appreciation Dinner" every year and wine and dine all the people that let us use their land.

This is actually a great idea...get most/all landowners together, talk about the pros and cons, their likes and dislikes all while breaking bread. More clubs should consider this...although there is a cost to it!

D

Deleted member 10829

It is not affordable to pay landowners, but we provide them a $50 gift certificate every few years to be used at one of the club bar/restaurant sponsors. As land gets sold, it is rare the new owner lets the trail go through. In 20-30 years, trails as we know them today will be totally different. Lots of county land trails that lead to dead ends.

snowdog104

OK so in WI the owner has the hassle of additional liability issue cost...no benefit there. Lets go with MI

This is incorrect. There is no landowner liability in Wisconsin. Under Wisconsin law, specifically Chapter 350.19 Section 895.52 landowners are not liable for any injury occurring on their property when they have granted permission for snowmobiling, nor does the owner have any responsibility to keep his/her property safe for such activity.

Minor benefits to landowner are easy access to trail and a well kept and cleared trail through their property. Significant benefits are more indirect to the community by a support of the sport, allowing the use of their land bring money into the local community. Cut off trails and could cut off community (snowmobile) money. The trail runs through middle of our 80. We love easy access, seeing/hearing sleds come through and most of all, seeing the groomer come through.

D

Deleted member 10829

This is incorrect. There is no landowner liability in Wisconsin. Under Wisconsin law, specifically Chapter 350.19 Section 895.52 landowners are not liable for any injury occurring on their property when they have granted permission for snowmobiling, nor does the owner have any responsibility to keep his/her property safe for such activity.

Minor benefits to landowner are easy access to trail and a well kept and cleared trail through their property. Significant benefits are more indirect to the community by a support of the sport, allowing the use of their land bring money into the local community. Cut off trails and could cut off community (snowmobile) money. The trail runs through middle of our 80. We love easy access, seeing/hearing sleds come through and most of all, seeing the groomer come through.

That is correct for Wisconsin, as long as they sign a land use agreement, no landowner liability.

snowshoe

This is actually a great idea...get most/all landowners together, talk about the pros and cons, their likes and dislikes all while breaking bread. More clubs should consider this...although there is a cost to it!
Our club does this every year. We average around 90, although this year we had about 110. About 2/3's are landowners that don't pay a dime unless they want more than 2 drinks or to purchase additional raffle tickets. The other third that attend are club members and they pay for their meal, drinks, raffle tickets. This year the total expense was $2400. After the raffles and club members paid up the cost to the club was only $1200.

That dinner goes a long way towards happy landowners.

old abe

Our club does this every year. We average around 90, although this year we had about 110. About 2/3's are landowners that don't pay a dime unless they want more than 2 drinks or to purchase additional raffle tickets. The other third that attend are club members and they pay for their meal, drinks, raffle tickets. This year the total expense was $2400. After the raffles and club members paid up the cost to the club was only $1200.

That dinner goes a long way towards happy landowners.

Yes, as the Good Will Gesture means a lot!

ddhanna

Not correct.... "Furthermore, if an owner is making a profit off of the recreational activities (i.e. charges for families to hike or use ATVs) the profits total more than $2,000 during a year, the limitations on liability do not apply. Also, the recreational immunity law does not protect landowners who maliciously fail to warn against unsafe conditions on the property."

Even if immunity applies, you can still be sued and will need the means to defend yourself (i.e. club provided insurance).

rev07

What about a local bar/restaurant that benefits from snowmobilers all winter hosting the landowner appreciation event?

old abe

What about a local bar/restaurant that benefits from snowmobilers all winter hosting the landowner appreciation event?

I always thought that those businesses donations, support to the clubs helped to keep the club viable? It is the club's business to deal, and coordinate with landowners. I know of businesses that support several clubs.

ddhanna

There are lots of what-ifs that could come in to play. That's when the lawyers swoop in.