Landowners and Trails

GTL

No replies from Minnesota yet but, we are much like Wi. need signed landowners slips and covered by a statewide policy. Our club used to host a dinner for our landowners but not many showed up so we now give them a gift card to one of the local gas stations.

SledTL

In the north metro (MN) we hold a land owner banquet at a place on the trail. It’s a popular town spot, most of the attendees have been there for decades and have formed good relationships with members in the club. There’s no benefit other than that, but they do like to support the sport.

xsledder

Illinois law protects the landowner from liability for allowing a trail across their property, unless they do something malicious like run a wire across the trail with the intent to hook and damage a sled or a rider (just an example). The down side is, if the landowner receives any type of compensation from the club for allowing the trail on their property, they lose this protection from the State.

ezra

What incentive ( like a property tax break $$ ) does a landowner receive to decide " Yes I'm ok with a trail thru my property Dec thru March" on the back 40 or nearby within earshot.

If I was a landowner why would I /should I agree to a DNR Trail ? Another words, is the trade off going to benefit me ?

well some one trespasses on your back 40 hits a fence post you are in the hook for there injury.
with a landowner agreement with the state/club you are not on the hook and to boot if some *** clown messes up your property the state/club has a fund to pay you off . join a club and participate in your sport you enjoy and this would be old news to you

ezra

In the north metro (MN) we hold a land owner banquet at a place on the trail. It’s a popular town spot, most of the attendees have been there for decades and have formed good relationships with members in the club. There’s no benefit other than that, but they do like to support the sport.

nwt also sends out gift certs good at map sponcer establishments . said bars etc turn them in to club at end if yr and we pay them back . some just toss in the trash because they know with out those land owners there winter trail biz would not exist . not much like 50 bucks or less .
also a lot of said farmers like the brushing and bridge work etc that goes along with a trail in there back 40

wisco-mb

We give gift certificates out to a restaurant. Rotate the bar/restaurant every year. We used to hold landowner dinners, but there ended up being some drama with neighbors who didn't care for each other.. gift certs after that!
Neighboring club gives out turkeys ahead of Thanksgiving.
Other club gives Hams out.
Not huge incentives, but all are happy.