late start to snow?

euphoric1

looking at web cam's un the kee, should there be more snow on the ground at this point with trail openings only weeks away? I know things can and will change at a moments notice up there and hoping for everyone it does.

mezz

It is not unusual for us to not have adequate snow cover by Dec 1st. I have seen many snowmobile seasons that haven't really kicked into gear until late Dec. I can recall quite a few that did not begin in earnest until after New Years. Then again, I was never one to get out in it until I felt we had enough cover in the backwoods.

euphoric1

I can remember the days even riding in northern wisconsin the second week of december, I know a lot can happen by then but those early riding days seem far and few and in between. Our first trip through the years kept getting pushed further and further out, pretty soon even new years was a crap shoot but hey the uncertainty of snow on the wisconsin side is what pushed us into the Kee and have never looked back.

goofy600

Brian I can go back as far as late 90’s and remember booking rooms in lando, houghton, and munsing between Christmas and new year’s hoping for lando and winding up in houghton every year. Did that about 6 years until we bought our first place in 05. Sense then we have had more good years than bad in the Watersmeet area between Christmas and new year’s.

whitedust

Xmas week is a big deal for snomo biz in Vilas. Usually some snow on the ground to scratch out snow activities for renters. Almost always enough snow first week of January to ride north to UP. Recent years have been tough conditions for Vilas better NW than NE. This year who knows???

Hoosier

Hoping Vilas works out this year. Tentative plans to take the kids up there between Christmas and NY. We wouldn't be out on the public trails so don't need much. The kids missed out last season due to a few things so they are itching to get up there.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone is right on track here. Each year is different, but the amount we have on the ground is really pretty close to average for us. The first week to ten days is usually done with no snow or just a few inches on the ground. Some years there has been considerable snow '19, but then it can also melt back the first week or two of Dec.

So... I would be concerned for the overall season. The first week or two of Dec? sure, but that is usually the case every year.

m8man

well i can recall snowmobiling to Grandma's house on Thanksgiving in the late 70's, and also playing golf on New Years Eve..........

it will come......

m8man

indy_500

November 14, 2014 in the yoop. It’s different year to year, but can usually bet on good snow watersmeet-north by Xmas. I wouldn’t panic yet though, couple of the best winters I’ve had in the 12 years riding the U.P. had slow starts, then never let up.
34EB1760-A96B-4B3C-B97C-2D6E3CD73A75.jpeg

xcr440

I have pics riding October 31st 1991 in FEET of snow, and I have a pic of me and my siblings in our front yard barefoot and in shorts on January 24th 1981 at 54 degrees.

I'll go find it when it falls.

goofy600

Well Cisco lake iced over yesterday and we got a couple inches of snow. Woke up this morning to 11 degrees out so let’s hope we can continue to build ice and hold off on to much snow for a bit.

luke_duke

November 14, 2014 in the yoop. It’s different year to year, but can usually bet on good snow watersmeet-north by Xmas. I wouldn’t panic yet though, couple of the best winters I’ve had in the 12 years riding the U.P. had slow starts, then never let up.
View attachment 66358
I agree, I almost rather see a late start because it seems like there’s more snow throughout the rest of the year

euphoric1

sounds like a clipper system may be giving the north woods a coating of snow this weekend. Goofy600 had posed his lake had skimmed over, anyone else seeing the same with swamps, lakes and wet areas? it has been getting pretty cold even down here at night.

D

Deleted member 10829

Our lake is frozen over this morning, but won't last I'm afraid. Good start though. We need the ice before the snow in a perfect world.

pclark

Our lake is completely skimmed over this morning. Cold nights in single digits, 7 degrees this morning, we have about 2" on the ground and I guess more coming this weekend but nothing major. Ground starting to get some frost in it as it should by now.