Legal Weed in Michigan

snocrazy

What you all think. I think it will good for the economy. No more wasted jail space for people who use some thing natural that does less harm than alcohol. No more need to get medical cards and being on yet another list.
Canada pass it nation wide and I heard there is now a shortage. Makes you think about opening a business to grow.
Going to be interesting to see how long this all takes to get figured out.

whitedust

Legalize and tax the heck out of it at state and federal level nation wide. It’s going to happen sooner or later so better sooner to spend the tax revenue.

euphoric1

I understand the room in jails, and the tax revenue it will generate but if it becomes legal, as an employer you come to work smelling of pot....done and if it will be legal to purchase it how about all of the people on entitlement programs, if it is legal to use and legal to buy, I guess if i'm footing your food, medical, housing expenses there should be no reason to do testing because if you can afford to buy that (now that its legal) I guess you don't need the tax funded programs anymore, I don't understand why it isn't that way now . I guess I think its a bad idea personally, how are you going to determine how high someone is? and now we are going to have to allow people to go out and smoke some bud on break? not here, legal or not, im not going to tolerate it. but im sure sooner than later it will be and we will all be expected to look the other way, make new rules just like we have been doing for the new generation. Im glad I grew up when I did when there was expectations, repercussions and accountability for actions or inactions. To me its just crazy how things are changing, so no I think its a bad idea.

slimcake

I understand the room in jails, and the tax revenue it will generate but if it becomes legal, as an employer you come to work smelling of pot....done and if it will be legal to purchase it how about all of the people on entitlement programs, if it is legal to use and legal to buy, I guess if i'm footing your food, medical, housing expenses there should be no reason to do testing because if you can afford to buy that (now that its legal) I guess you don't need the tax funded programs anymore, I don't understand why it isn't that way now . I guess I think its a bad idea personally, how are you going to determine how high someone is? and now we are going to have to allow people to go out and smoke some bud on break? not here, legal or not, im not going to tolerate it. but im sure sooner than later it will be and we will all be expected to look the other way, make new rules just like we have been doing for the new generation. Im glad I grew up when I did when there was expectations, repercussions and accountability for actions or inactions. To me its just crazy how things are changing, so no I think its a bad idea.

+100 here. Spending some time in Denver last summer and you can tell the smokers from the non. I have no problem with the stuff. As recreational. BUT you can see alot of lost productivity and its hard to measure the cost of that. Like was mentioned there needs to be a way to test. Back in my day I coulda been just puttin the pipe down and you wouldn't be able to tell I was high. Nowadays I would be curled up in a corner if I were to partake....

chords

Certainly this will create a lot of new issues and problems from top to bottom that need to be addressed. The new law(s) will go into effect in a few weeks so I'm sure LE will have their hands full dealing with users in public or possession. But we prob wont see any " Open " signs well into 2020 when the new program is rolled up , er I mean out. They have set up rules that sure seem generous when it comes to possession amounts
2 oz a person , per day can be bought and on you at any time. And a household is allowed up to 10 oz in a home. Man O' Man who needs that much stash ? esp at hundred$ per oz.

fish633

The whole legalization thing is uncharted territory.Expect workplace based challenges in the courts,workmans comp issues,etc.etc.

xcr440

I understand the room in jails, and the tax revenue it will generate but if it becomes legal, as an employer you come to work smelling of pot....done

Is it any different with your employer if you show up drunk? Its not with mine.

I'm glad I grew up when I did when there was expectations, repercussions and accountability for actions or inactions. To me its just crazy how things are changing

I agree with this, responsibility is something that is not taught or expected like it used to be.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Dudes...I'm getting the munchies just following this thread!

Write On! :friendly_wink:

-John

euphoric1

Is it any different with your employer if you show up drunk? Its not with mine.

xcr440 as a owner no, I don't tolerate someone being drunk either, have terminated an employee for just that, alcohol like weed can be smelled on someone and yes how do you judge then if someone is drunk then too, I guess I would just rather not take the chance how much or how little drunk someone is when they show up for work, too much liability potential that is placed on my shoulders not theirs. I'm sure its coming, but legal or not I made my employees aware that you come in with the odor or think you can smoke a bud on lunch and come back to work, the answer is bye bye . the problem I see is just as with alcohol you have the responsible users and then you have those that aren't and who ends up paying for them or their actions, there will always be the abusers and the ones that aren't legal or not, I just think it is a bad idea.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I can't see this ending well. More people impaired on the roadways for starters. And if we think the revenue from the taxes will fix the roads and build new schools, that's probably not going to happen either. Most likely tax money raised will go for the bureaucracy to manage this along with support programs for people having too much fun with it.

Kinda funny, you can't smoke tobacco anywhere in public these days. I'm wondering if the same goes for the Cannabis crowd? Will the same people offended by tobacco smoke be just as offended with the Weed? Guess we're gonna find out.

Woodtic

I’m adding a few lights in my pole building and looking for some help cutting my grass? Are you interested? ��

snocrazy

Dont forget the edibles.... You wont smell a thing. It wont be legal to smoke in public based on what i just watched on tv.
I know several business owners that are concerned. (construction heavy equipment trucks) They can keep their policies in place. Random drug test. If they get injured, work comp requires drug test. It is working in the 8 states that legalized before Michigan.

euphoric1

snocrazy, agreed! when it does become legalized, we as employees will be expected to protect ourselves against what is essentially legal drug use, and lets say there is injury at work, negligent use of heavy equipment, and the insurance company requires drug test, who's shoulders does it still fall upon, who ends up paying for it. I completely forgot about edibles. and if it is working in 8 states it still down plays the protections we will have to take against "legal" drug use. and as gary in Neenah stated yes it will generate tax revenue, but just give more for the big wigs to spend, and not necessarily on whet we need.
Dont forget the edibles.... You wont smell a thing. It wont be legal to smoke in public based on what i just watched on tv.
I know several business owners that are concerned. (construction heavy equipment trucks) They can keep their policies in place. Random drug test. If they get injured, work comp requires drug test. It is working in the 8 states that legalized before Michigan.

durphee

Mixed bag and issues that need to be worked out. Michigan wouldn't be the first State to pass this so if I was a business owner in Michigan just look at prior States and how they dealt with the legal passage of it. I would assume that it would be dealt with like alcohol and tobacco in regards to age limits, a set toxicity limit, and workplace issues. Even though it is legal doesn't mean its legal to consume at work or during certain situations or locations...impairment is impairment at my employment and we are subject to drug tests at the request of our employer....but I am sure there's more to that issue. I am sure the State will pass some laws and they will have to be revisited and adjusted as time goes on, which is typical of any new law of policy. Tax it as a Sin Tax and use the money for something good...I mean our lovely politicians couldn't possibly mess this up right?? :)

xcr440

And I'm sure there are people who successfully mask their drinking at lunch or on break just like anything else.

I knew a woman who kept a big bottle of Kessler and Coke in her car, and REGULARLY went out for a "walk". It took them a few years, but they eventually caught on.

I'm not trying to justify ones addictions, but, just because it becomes legal, doesn't mean you are going to have a bigger problem than it already is, making sure employees are sober on the job.

whitedust

Gummies are much more popular than joints where legal. This current pot had many methods of use including oil is not your grandfathers pot. Today it is very strong and don’t need much to get a buzz. Me I’m older and over the whole pot high rather have a beer or cocktail but younger generation prefers pot over acohol and they will vote to legalize it in most states. Reefer madness was put to bed in the 60s. Legalization is going to happen and some corporations have taken pot off their illegal drug lists just too many users already and would eliminate too many people from the workforce. Sin tax the heck out of it and use the tax money constructively.

G

G

I really can't see engineers and lawyers and orthodontists and heart surgeons going out on a break and getting smoked up. Heavy equipment operators will likely have a no tolerance policy and be subject to random drug tests. This leaves the menial boring jobs as the most likely place for employees getting high at work. These same menial boring jobs are the ones that machines are being made to replace humans. This will just speed things up.