looking at ski doos, need advise

ddhanna

but did you ever have maintenance done to the crank. we do them all the time and add extra isoflex grease to the pto side and have sleds still going at 14,000 miles,, Even all the Etec motors should have added isoflex grease to the crank at around 5000 miles, until you get to the 850 etec, it uses different design on the crank
Yeah but mine puked at 4100 miles...?

whitedust

Yeah but mine puked at 4100 miles...?
My 800 froze the crank at 3900 miles. Buddies ptek 800 ran for at least 12,000 miles and I was on an Apex by then kept telling him it’s going to die every time we rode but never did. Lol Every fill up he poured in a lot of oil into the gas his cost per mile was outrageous but he never broke down either. I don’t know if adding oil helped but he got 8000 miles of life I never saw or believed was possible.

lofsfire

i dont know but have u considered a 4 stroke less maintenance and very low chance you will need a rebuild ,maybe an 2011 Apex with the power steering

If you don't ride much and it sits around I would be looking for a early model Ski Doo 1200 myself. I'm always on the lookout for one for a spare or loaner, Or like Saber said and look for a Apex
This would be my thoughts as well!

renegade600

Have had (3) 600 Etec's and they all have been great sleds. Good MPG enough power most of the time and dead reliable. the 800 Ptek not so much, strong running and fast but I've known (2) personally that went south with problems.
Currently ride 850 Etec's, have (2) and so far have been great (my wife has enough power now to satisfy her on the grades and lakes).... :)

jonesin

thanks for the responses guys, im not sure what i am going to do if anything
the 800 ptek sold right away
I went to look at the 600 last friday and it was really nice, he said he would do $4200 and i left saying i would think about it and then went on a 80 mile ride on my old 03 F7.
Sat i went on a 120 ride with some friends still on the F7
Sunday i went to watch the lions and a friend was their who offered me his 2016 switchback 800 with 2300 miles for $5500. he bought it new, it lost an injector i think he said in 2021, it was rebuilt and only has 100 miles if that on it since. it was leaking oil out the exhaust, still set rich for breaking in he said....
now our winter wonderland is melting and its raining.....
I see really cheap sleds for sale, all i really need is something different for the kids to ride I guess but I was really jealous of the guys I was with last saturday riding the skidoos.......

old abe

thanks for the responses guys, im not sure what i am going to do if anything
the 800 ptek sold right away
I went to look at the 600 last friday and it was really nice, he said he would do $4200 and i left saying i would think about it and then went on a 80 mile ride on my old 03 F7.
Sat i went on a 120 ride with some friends still on the F7
Sunday i went to watch the lions and a friend was their who offered me his 2016 switchback 800 with 2300 miles for $5500. he bought it new, it lost an injector i think he said in 2021, it was rebuilt and only has 100 miles if that on it since. it was leaking oil out the exhaust, still set rich for breaking in he said....
now our winter wonderland is melting and its raining.....
I see really cheap sleds for sale, all i really need is something different for the kids to ride I guess but I was really jealous of the guys I was with last saturday riding the skidoos.......
jonesin, I would be very careful on that 2016 Poo 800 switchback??? It being rebuilt is a absolute red flag? The early Poo 800's were time bombs, and just waiting to blow. Many aftermarket fixes available that didn't solve the the poor design problems. You need to get with indy 500 on here, as he would know when they changed over to the latest designed Poo 800 engine. It is a excellent engine, and pretty much bullet proof. There is a whole bunch of those bad 800's out there, way too many. Sorry to bare the bad news.

jonesin

dont be sorry, i appreciate the info!
2016 is considered early 800?
i had a hard time understanding how one would blow at 2000 miles, he put so few miles on a year that it was out of warranty when it happened at just over 5 years I guess in 21
2000 miles? that would suck!

old abe

dont be sorry, i appreciate the info!
2016 is considered early 800?
i had a hard time understanding how one would blow at 2000 miles, he put so few miles on a year that it was out of warranty when it happened at just over 5 years I guess in 21
2000 miles? that would suck!
Like i said get with indy 500 he'll know the good and the bad Poo engines. ;)

chunk06

The 800 in the Axys was a big improvement over the 800 in the Pro Ride. I think they made a few more improvements to cooling in 2018. I put 5500 trouble free miles on a 2016, still had 120 psi when I sold it. Fun sleds

jonesin

Like i said get with indy 500 he'll know the good and the bad Poo engines. ;)
thanks sooo much!
i did and he said the one i was looking at was the 144 pro that i should stay away from
its funny looking to him for advice, i remember when he first posted pictures of his home made moped and the shed with the modified doors for his first sled :ROFLMAO:
(ive been around a lot longer than my profile shows, it got wiped clean at one point somehow)

mezz

thanks sooo much!
i did and he said the one i was looking at was the 144 pro that i should stay away from
its funny looking to him for advice, i remember when he first posted pictures of his home made moped and the shed with the modified doors for his first sled :ROFLMAO:
(ive been around a lot longer than my profile shows, it got wiped clean at one point somehow)
When the platform of the site changed, everybody went to 0 postings. I think Indy was 15 when he first started on here? Can't be sure, but I do remember his little modified metal storage shed for his sled, good stuff.

wisco-mb

The 800 in the Axys was a big improvement over the 800 in the Pro Ride. I think they made a few more improvements to cooling in 2018. I put 5500 trouble free miles on a 2016, still had 120 psi when I sold it. Fun sleds
Correct. The new 800 HO they introduced in 2015 has been very reliable and proven engine.
Cooling updates in 2018. My '18 800 XCR runs 20F cooler then my '17.
7K mileage on my '18, never been opened up and trouble free.
8.5K on my '17. New top end at 7K to play it safe during covid.

I rode a friends 2011/12 switchback 600 last Sunday for about 200miles. Did the 600s have the same problem? I was surprised at how hot it ran around 140's at times. My ski-doo without scratchers was running 105-120 in the same conditions.

600_RMK_144

Don't know much about Doo's other than we rode with a guy that had one last w/e. He hit a tree and bent his bumper. We worked on it on the mountain and PURELY based on how difficult it was to get the hood / side panels off & on, I can confidently say that I will never own a Doo in my lifetime. It was CRAZY how many screws and shit had to come off, not to mention how crappy it all fit together. My two cents.

wiscrev

I think I've been around about from the start [late 90's or so] and had all my msgs wiped clean. Never texted much then but had 6-700.