looking at ski doos, need advise

indy_500

Don't know much about Doo's other than we rode with a guy that had one last w/e. He hit a tree and bent his bumper. We worked on it on the mountain and PURELY based on how difficult it was to get the hood / side panels off & on, I can confidently say that I will never own a Doo in my lifetime. It was CRAZY how many screws and shit had to come off, not to mention how crappy it all fit together. My two cents.
I have to agree, they are EXTREMELY difficult to work on compared to a poo or cat. I am extremely mechanically inclined when it comes to working on Polaris snowmobiles - over a dozen motor rebuilds, dozen clutch rebuilds, have pulled over 2 dozen tracks etc, but I seriously struggle with my doo doos.

Luckily in owning our 14 gsx for 1500 miles, 19 mxz tnt for 1000 miles, and 23 renegade for 1750 miles, they have all been pretty much gas and go outside of hyfax, chaincase oil, etc.

Last edited:

jonesin

Don't know much about Doo's other than we rode with a guy that had one last w/e. He hit a tree and bent his bumper. We worked on it on the mountain and PURELY based on how difficult it was to get the hood / side panels off & on, I can confidently say that I will never own a Doo in my lifetime. It was CRAZY how many screws and shit had to come off, not to mention how crappy it all fit together. My two cents.
that thought entered my mind as well when I was "checking it out", you can open the side panels and still not see anything , a lot different than opening the hood of my old indy or F7, lol

I have to agree, they are EXTREMELY difficult to work on compared to a poo or cat. I am extremely mechanically inclined when it comes to working on Polaris snowmobiles - over a dozen motor rebuilds, dozen clutch rebuilds, have pulled over 2 dozen tracks etc, but I seriously struggle with my doo doos.

Luckily in owning our 14 gsx for 1500 miles, 19 mxz tnt for 1000 miles, and 23 renegade for 1750 miles, they have all been pretty much gas and go outside of hyfax, chaincase oil, etc.
My 2023 600efi MXZ, is pretty simple to work on. However, taking off the hood to access the engine is a pain...8 bolts, disconnect the wire harness and removal of both side panels.

indy_500

My 2023 600efi MXZ, is pretty simple to work on. However, taking off the hood to access the engine is a pain...8 bolts, disconnect the wire harness and removal of both side panels.
Couple examples… just put different spindles on my mom’s 14 renegade. Pressed in ball joints similar to a car on all of doos spindles. Took me 2 hours of heating, pressing, pounding to get the old ones off. Polaris uses a heim joint with a bolt thru it. Would’ve been done in under 15 minutes.

Another example, doos torsion spring glider/retainer has to be slid THROUGH the end of the spring, held up into location with tension under it, while trying to line up the bolt for it. Polaris’ retainer stays bolted on the rail and the spring is to be pushed up on top of it.

That is just the beginning of me scratching my head on some of the frenchies engineering ideas… but love the sleds

chunk06

Couple examples… just put different spindles on my mom’s 14 renegade. Pressed in ball joints similar to a car on all of doos spindles. Took me 2 hours of heating, pressing, pounding to get the old ones off. Polaris uses a heim joint with a bolt thru it. Would’ve been done in under 15 minutes.

Another example, doos torsion spring glider/retainer has to be slid THROUGH the end of the spring, held up into location with tension under it, while trying to line up the bolt for it. Polaris’ retainer stays bolted on the rail and the spring is to be pushed up on top of it.

That is just the beginning of me scratching my head on some of the frenchies engineering ideas… but love the sleds
Don't forget the process to change the junk secondary rollers on the Doo's as well. hard to believe they have not made that easier over the years

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can have hood and side panels off with no tools in 2min. On 2023 polaris xc
Maybe it's because Polaris' and Cat require more time spent under the hood than Doo's ;)

All kidding aside, I have the Blizzard model of the MXZ. to remove the battery at the end of the season it takes the following;
Remove the Mirrors
Remove the Windshield
Remove the Instrument Module
Disconnect the Wiring Harness
Remove the Hood
Remove the Muffler
then
Disconnect the Battery and Remove.​

That's just plain crazy in any nuthouse. It's the only model that I know of that requires this, but it is what it is. In the Fall, it's just a reverse procedure but it's part of my ritual for getting ready for the next season. Rassling with the muffler springs gets my torso in shape, and practice with my cuss word vocabulary! :devilish:

indy_500

Maybe it's because Polaris' and Cat require more time spent under the hood than Doo's ;)

All kidding aside, I have the Blizzard model of the MXZ. to remove the battery at the end of the season it takes the following;
Remove the Mirrors
Remove the Windshield
Remove the Hood
Remove the Muffler
then

That's just plain crazy in any nuthouse. It's the only model that I know of that requires this, but it is what it is. In the Fall, it's just a reverse procedure but it's part of my ritual for getting ready for the next season. Rassling with the muffler springs gets my torso in shape, and practice with my cuss word vocabulary! :devilish:
Best thing they ever did was put the battery’s behind/under the seat on the gen 4 and 5s. So easy to access and de-clutters under the hood

indy_500

Don't forget the process to change the junk secondary rollers on the Doo's as well. hard to believe they have not made that easier over the years
Haven’t had to experience this yet but I’m waiting! Ditched the 14 gsx at around 3000 miles, just rolled over 3k on the 19 tnt, and my 23 renny still has under 2k miles.

old abe

Remove the Mirrors
Remove the Windshield
Remove the Hood
Remove the Muffler
then

Hmmm, I have a Doo SX chassis 900 ACE Renegade, and I have never removed the Mirrors, Windshield, or Instrument Module?

old abe

Remove the Mirrors
Remove the Windshield
Remove the Hood
Remove the Muffler
then

Nothing to the muffler, or pipe springs with a good Push/Pull spring tool imo.

ddhanna

Hmmm, I have a Doo SX chassis 900 ACE Renegade, and I have never removed the Mirrors, Windshield, or Instrument Module?
Same here. But nowadays I have everything on a tender and I wish I had started that many years ago. I see no point in taking them out. If they are charged they are good to go.