Looking for input on 2012-13 Arctic cat 1100 Turbo/non turbo

dekx

Ok for those guys that have em, here's what I am looking for.
I was dead set on ordering another 800 E-tec until i seen the all black AC F1100 Turbo.
For those that owned one (both turbo and non turbo) can you tell me some pluses/minuses and pro's and con's for the turbo and non turbo?
I may possibly be ordering the turbo and my father the non turbo so any and all input would be appreciated.

whitedust

Are these 4s engines gas & go engines like Yam 4s? What is gas milage of 1100 turbo & non turbo? Can you use regular gas? dekx that 2013 black Cross Tour Turbo grabbed me too! Luv the cargo rack & standard bags too!

whitedust

1st link does not work next 2 links don't tell me anything so again...

Are these 4s engines gas & go engines like Yam 4s?
What is gas milage of 1100 turbo & non turbo?
Can you use regular gas?

D

Deleted member 10829

Buyer beware is right! Do some research, there are more service bulletins on these sleds than you can count on both hands. It makes my 2006 FST Classic look like it had no issues at all. I can't believe what owners were finding before they even put the sleds on the snow. It's been an eye opener for sure.

mjkaliszak

I have been jumping back n forth fromm here to HCS. Due to my ownership of an F8 ( 12 ). I will say glad that I didn't buy the Turbo.
There is alot of controversy, AC even extended an additional year onto the 2 year warranty making it 3. There are reverse issues ( biggie ) , kinked tunnels, and a plethera of additional complaints with cheap engineering & cheap parts..... however, I have not had all the issues with my 2 smoker. When I bought my XP back in 08 , I spent alot of time on Doo Talk reading and figuring out what additional mods I would need. I would suggest that you spend some time at HCS in the TURBO forum . They have a list of known issues at the Top of the forum. It shouldn't be that way... buy a new sled and add a ton of mods due to lack of testing but it is. Worse than that they are pricy, but they are trying to clear the 12's off the showroom floor so deals can be made....

Additionally, AC has all the 2012 sleds required to be brought back to the dealers ( oct -nov ) for a series of updates to address all the problems they deem needing changes. FYI

I think they are promising a free 084 belt also ( some models ).

D

Deleted member 10829

The reverse issue is the biggie and is a 4 stroke issue. All of the other issues involving "cheap engineering & cheap parts" I would think fall on all models as they must use the same parts in the areas they are having problems. It sounds like the assembly process has absolutely no quality control. Are they really having ALL 2012 sleds brought back to the dealers for updates? That will be a first. This is all very surprising to me as I just haven't heard any of this prior to following the links from slimcake. As mjkaliszak says above, go to HCS and look in the TURBO forum.

From what I have read Indy_500, this is worse than the Fusion 900 and first year FST put together!

polarisrider1

My dealer said," RUN!!!!! the service buletin stack is the size of the Grand Rapids metro phone book with as many pages to it. Stay clear at all costs", is what he said.

Ricardo

My XF Turbo was built 12/20/12, I believe the final production run. Only three bullitens; tie rod nut, fuel filter clip, and transmission. First two were OK and my reverse worked fine all season. Was able to put on 1500mi, mostly trail, Ironwood area. My average MPG for the whole season 14.3. Low was 11.5, high 15.8. I don't ride slow, there are a lot of rail grade trails around here. Max speed I've seen is 113 on the digital,with high windshield and mirrors. All stock,no studs, it's an LXR so it has 1.25 Cobra track. And the turbo does require premium fuel. Will run on regular but with less performance and probably lower fuel mileage. The last two rides it also has a fuel starvation issue under hard acceleration, needs the pick ups[smart valves in AC terminology] replaced, sucking air when fuel level is low.

Overall, my satisfaction level is quite good. It accelerates from 0 to 90 like no other stock sled; rides good; handles very good; and goes through powder much better than I expected. Unlike many others mine was not tied up in the dealership at all. That being said however, I still rate AC #4 of the manufacturers. Poor fit and finish; most parts backordered[belts on BO till mid Jan.!] unresolved issues. Hopefully the 13's will be better. Read the boards, talk to dealers, then decide.

bus8787

Get a 2013. they will get the issues worked out. I bought a later
Firecat after the 2003 had issues the 1st year and its been perfect.
Same with my crossfire no issues. Feel bad for the first year buyers
that had problems. I rode a Xfr 1100 turbo for 30-40 miles and its
was a blast to drive and felt light for a 4 stroke,Power and Motor is
insane and the front suspension and handling was great. Only complaint
was the rear bounced but I think it was not balanced.

ezra

I will never buy a 1st yr run of anything.I could have gotten a xf backcountry for 8500 with some contacts I have and did not want to do it and am glad I did not when buying that way you get no warrenty no recal work just a sled.
but I may get one next yr I have a few buds who pulled the trigger and have been issue free

dekx

Thank you to all so far, I appreciate it. I would buy a 13 if I did of either. I LOVE MY 08 Ski-Doo 800x and sometimes I am unsure if I even want to sell it! I have time to decide and will do more reserch. Thanks again to all!

booondocker

I had, and still own 2006 fst switcher. It got recalled BEFORE I even took delivery, something about the starter getting toasted because of a missing spacer, or sum such. The list was long with trips back to the dealer, with new plugs designed to prevent plug failure prior to introduction of the FST Weber motor, and a plethora of hose and wire re-routes to prevent chaffing, melting hoses too close to the suitcase muffler, poorly designed steering geometry, fuel gages that were inaccurate, and so on and so on.

Still the machine was a fun sled. It ran fast, and went in the deep, especially when I put a 2 inch track on it. Little by little they improved the sled and after about 4 years Polaris finally got the bugs out with the owners being the field testers.

When I bought my 2011 Turbo Cat, it was like a huge step up from the polaris...hoses were routed carefully and fuel gages worked properly, and the machine would plow thru the deep stuff like a bull dozer. I loved that sled and it spent zero time in the shop for the year that I had it. Everything worked very well, and it was very very fast. In fact since I often take novice/rookies out everyone always wants to try the "fastest" sled. Which is why I sold it. It was so fast I was afraid it would get someone killed.

The fellow who bought it sent me several emails later on and said that he did have to take it back for the potential loose nuts on the ty-rods...no biggy, and a re-program for an rough idle when it was cold. As far as I know he is still running it problem free.

All turbos NEED premium fuel to prevent pre-detonation but the gas mileage was right there with the Polaris gallon for gallon. Mid to upper teens was the norm unless you were dogging it in the deep then it fell off some which is to be expected cutting trail.

Quality, performance and ride was second to none. If I had a beef it was that the instrumentation, like Yamaha was positioned cheaply on the speedo gauge cluster requiring removing your hands from the handle bars when you wanted to switch thru the dozen readings the gages were capable of providing. The Polaris has them right on the bars where you can rifle thru them without loosing grip or ability to steer. I did have the extended track which was far better at putting the ponies to the trail, and a bit longer lug track would have been nice for the very fluffy stuff, but I never stuck it much because of it. As is any 4 stroke is heavy, but once you learn how to use that weight to your advantage and stay on the throttle rather than let off at a moment of indecision, she was a beast of another kind found now where else on the planet.

Would I buy another one? In a heart beat if I didn't have the novices tagging along and wanting to ride it all the time.

We have to remember than any motor with this much torque and horse-power is going to bring out the Ricky rocket in just about anybody and doing so will push the frame, track, and equipment to a leave never before achieved. There is going to be a manufacturing curve which needs to be followed with the resulting corrections made. As long as Cat is willing to stand back of the product and not shuck and jive "gee, we never heard of that one before...which was all I got from Polaris" then I am okay with it and should be expected to go along with the territory of super high horse-power sleds.

And dat's all I got to say about it.

polarisrider1

What it boils down to is how much we willing to take at twelve grand a copy? The OEM 's needs to get it together soon or the industry will die out.

D

Deleted member 10829

boondocker,

They are asking about the 2012-2013 Cats. Have you gone to HCS yet and read up on the Turbo? No one is questioning the 2011's, but the 2012's are a big problem. Even ezra can't defend them!

Hoosier

What it boils down to is how much we willing to take at twelve grand a copy? The OEM 's needs to get it together soon or the industry will die out.

Well, Yamaha is always an option. Don't have to worry about 1st year issues with them!

My current sled is a Fusion 600. Bought it from someone who bought it new and basically let it sit (200 miles in 2 years). I got to go through all the 1st year issues with that and won't do it again. I obviously don't buy sleds very often but I think the best sled to buy is the last production year model of any sled.

mjkaliszak

I purchased a late build one, only a few recalls ( F800 SP ). Never took mine back , the steering link nut was fine, and for the record my main complaint was not riding enough miles. IT is stiff in the studders. Shocks need revalved.

D

Deleted member 10829

If Yamaha ever comes out with a completely new sled, they may have a few issues. How long has it been now? ;)

chad66

Ok, I never look on the internet for problems on sleds for the simple fact that people enjoy "stirring the pot"! With that being said, the Keweenaw was one of the only places with rideable snow and we had 4 non turbo 1100's in are rental fleet, 2 that ended up with 9k miles plus. Here is what he delt with on the 2012 Cat's.

1100's(turbo and non turbo) REVERSE...OUT! They claim to have the fix so it shouldn't be a problem in 2013 and all 2012 will be updated w/extended warranty.
Coolant leaks on a couple dozen, connecting hoses were just a hair too short.
a few rear suspension bolts broke...only a few.
3 wiring harness'.
Seen a handful of sticking primary clutches.
2 Heat exchangers had welds crack and would leak coolant.

800's: first time since 2008 that we've seen a motor go down, we had 3 this winter.
Also had a few rear axle bearings go out on both 4s and 2s.

Take it for what it's worth guys, that's what we seen.

Chad@M&M