Make-A-Wish sled restoration project.

danschevyv8

What a GREAT JOB you should be very proud. The craftmanship is outstanding all the cleaning and polishing you put in the sled shows. Skorole your role in the project was outstanding also. Phazerpilot beatiful paint and bodywork. dan

skiroule

Thanks Dan! That reminds me, I have one more small assignment I haven't completed. Sorry Snoluver1, I've been really sandbagging it this week. I'll get on it tomorrow.

Never got around to responding after I got back into town but having a raffle and bringing the sled to the ride-in next year is a great plan. I'm sure there are many people who have followed this thread that would love to see it for real.

As we've come to expect, the skis came out awesome!

snoluver1

Just got back to town from Montana where I started and ended my 2012 snowmobile season. We had some outstanding riding considering this had been one of the worst winters I can remember! It was worth every minute of the 26 hr trip.
Now that I am back and the season is officially bagged, I can shift gears back to getting the project buttoned up.

Skiroule, I received the final piece to the puzzle today and it fits perfectly! Thanks!!

skiroule

Took a little time tonight to read this thread "cover to cover". It's still somewhat amazing how this project came together, and believe me, words of encouragement were much appreciated. It will probably be pretty quiet over the summer but come next January, it will be exciting to see the conclusion.

I'm really hoping that Snoluver1 can personally bring the Make-A-Wish T'NT up to the Ride-In next winter. I think a lot of people would like the opportunity to visit with him about this project.

snoluver1

Sorry I haven't posted here in a while. I had every intention of getting this thing wrapped up this spring but my "day job" has had different plans for me. It seems I got back from that trip to Montana and it was "game on" at work. I have been working 12 to 16 hr days between 6 and 7 days a week since April. Good for the ever dwindling wallet, but not so good for free time.

I have gotten all the hardware painted to put the skies back together and thats about it. I do hope to get the project done before the end of summer if I can manage to drum up some time. I had the thought of taking the sled up to Haydays to do a little pre Ride-In showcasing. I also wanted to look into seeing if we can get the raffle set up by then, so I could start selling some tickets there. I'm not sure about all the logistics that would be involved with that, but my thought was Haydays would be the perfect place to start advertising the sled. Also, I think it would be a good advertisement opportunity for John's site as well.

I have every intention of making it to the Ride-In myself, baring my work doesn't get in the way. I think I will put in for some vacation time around then to make sure they can't tell me I have to work that weekend.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I am working on the raffle license and should be able to have it by Hayday's without problems. I also think it would be neat to get it up to this neck of the woods and maybe showcase it at a few places like the Mosquito, M & M and anywhere else that has the room and would like it to hang out for a while. What do you all think of that idea?

-John

dcsnomo

I am working on the raffle license and should be able to have it by Hayday's without problems. I also think it would be neat to get it up to this neck of the woods and maybe showcase it at a few places like the Mosquito, M & M and anywhere else that has the room and would like it to hang out for a while. What do you all think of that idea?

-John

I think it would be neat to showcase it in Door County at the Lull-Abi Inn, maybe in my workshop!!!

polarisrider1

-John
Love it!!!

skiroule

There would be some logistics to be worked out and the businesses would have to be on board, but this is a pretty good idea. Places like the Mosquito that get considerable trail traffic would be perfect and give a lot of people a chance to check it out. Don’t know if they could spare the room (or could get it through the door), but the Lac La Belle Lodge would also be a good choice – maybe coincide with your bartending stint?

snoluver1

-John

I think its a GREAT idea!

Were you planning on going to Haydays? Maybe we could get hooked up there and you could take the sled back with you?
My one and only concern is that once there is some snow on the ground, I would like to take it out for a test and tune run to make sure everything is up to snuff. Running it on the stand in the garage for a few minutes and actually putting it under a load are 2 very different things. Also the carb will need to be tuned in under load and at colder temps then when I was running it in march. If I remember correctly it was like 80 flipping degrees in march this year-lol.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently planning on being at Haydays and might be able to swing bringing it up with me. Otherwise I am sure we can figure out another way to get it up north.

-John

snoluver1

You should put up a Facebook Fan page, or, if you wish, I can do that for you

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or John?

Personally, I don't know what a Facebook Fan Page even is, or why I would need one, but thanks for the offer. Johndee.com is about as close to Facebook as I want to get, lol. :)

snoluver1

Well its not much, but its something. Skis are back together. Once again, not exactly a 5 minute project. I think Skiroule said it best when he said, "those engineers back then sure did love parts".

P6221447.jpg

P6221450.jpg

skiroule

Now these pics are just what the Dr. ordered to help a sledder through the upcoming dog days of summer. Can't believe these are the same skis but then, I guess one could say that about any part of this sled.

Very nice! and thanks for the update!

chords

Personally, I don't know what a Facebook Fan Page even is, or why I would need one, but thanks for the offer. Johndee.com is about as close to Facebook as I want to get, lol. :)

FaceBook SmaceBook. I Love these Old sleds and the old school of wrenching on them. This is gonna be one GEM when done