Make-A-Wish sled restoration project.

freezinbevr

I am currently planning on being at Haydays and might be able to swing bringing it up with me. Otherwise I am sure we can figure out another way to get it up north.

-John

Maybe even have the sled at the HayDays for a little showcasing! But I dont know all the logistics. Sounds like a bunch of running around, but think of the potential sale of tix

Dsbasecamp

There would be some logistics to be worked out and the businesses would have to be on board, but this is a pretty good idea. Places like the Mosquito that get considerable trail traffic would be perfect and give a lot of people a chance to check it out. Don’t know if they could spare the room (or could get it through the door), but the Lac La Belle Lodge would also be a good choice – maybe coincide with your bartending stint?

We would be more than happy to display the sled---Just Let us know your plans...we can also help with the transportation.. just give us a call 906-288-3696

skiroule

We would be more than happy to display the sled---Just Let us know your plans...we can also help with the transportation.. just give us a call 906-288-3696

Excellent! A "Check Out the Make-A-Wish Sled" banner added to your trail sign could be good for the cause and good for business.

snoluver1

ALL DONE ready for snow!!

1sttnt.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist throwing that in there. ;)

P8061478.jpg

P8061474.jpg

P8061479.jpg

P8061481.jpg

P8061470.jpg

P8061483.jpg

P8061484.jpg

P8061485.jpg

So the last piece of the puzzle to install was a brass plaque commemorating what the sled was built for. We had a hard time locating the original emblem that went on the gas tank cover. Skiroule found a local shop by him to make up the plaque to fit the escussion where the emblem went.

P8061455.jpg

So the plans are in the works to have the sled at Haydays. John should have the raffle tickets ready by then, and will be taking the sled back to the Keweenaw with him for the sleds northern tour. I hope some of you can make it out to see the sled in person!

frosty

When is it leaving for up north? We need to do a photo shoot of it before it makes it north for the tour. Let me know when is good for you snowluver.

2007Crossfire-717154-Edit.jpg

UnderhoodCrossfire-717233.jpg

2007Crossfire-717204-Edit.jpg

2007Crossfire-717192-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

snoluver1

Thanks guys.
And thanks to all that helped out with this project. This sled would not have been done to the level it is without a lot of help from a lot of great people!!

Frosty,
We leave for Haydays the 7th of September.

frosty

Thanks guys.
And thanks to all that helped out with this project. This sled would not have been done to the level it is without a lot of help from a lot of great people!!

Frosty,
We leave for Haydays the 7th of September.

How's your weekends looking? This or next? Also you and momma are going to have to do some posing with this bad boy, so shower would be necessary before me coming!! Do you have a white ceiling in your garage?

snoluver1

How's your weekends looking? This or next? Also you and momma are going to have to do some posing with this bad boy, so shower would be necessary before me coming!! Do you have a white ceiling in your garage?

Weekends are pretty screwy for me Frosty. My next day off wont be until Sunday the 19th. The lighting is not great in my garage. It is white drywall, but not finished or painted. Not sure what kind of magic you can work in there?

skiroule

Snoluver1,

It’s hard to find words for this last series of photos. The thread shots leading up to these gave some pretty strong hints at the outcome but to see it all come together raises the bar to a whole new level. You can legitimately claim membership in that elite group of restorers that leave no detail unattended. The sled is beautiful in every respect and Phazerpilot’s paint job is incredible.

I can’t help but think of all the solitary nights and hundreds of hours that were spent in your garage to make this happen - serious dedication indeed.

Hopefully you and Frosty can get together and you can get some pro shots of the sled yet this month. You really need something to hang on your wall that captures the results of your effort in a special way.

I’m not sure of my September schedule but I have a pretty good supply of extra, hard-to-come-by parts that would be nice to include with the sled. I’ll get them all boxed up and if I can hook up with you at Haydays, great. Otherwise I will ship them wherever is needed.

Great memories of this project and it’s been a pleasure -

frosty

The walls being white will work wonderfully, and I hope your ceiling is white. How's an evening during the week? We're going to need about 2-3 hours to do it up right. Let me know.

snoluver1

Great memories of this project and it’s been a pleasure -

Likewise Skiroule.

I could not have done this with out you spoon feeding me hard to find parts, and all the effort you put into finding them and getting them to me. I would be proud to call you my teammate any day!!

We will definitely have to meet up at Hay Days. I can't wait for you to see phazorpilots paintwork in person.

scott_b

Thanks John

Not that you asked for my opinion but I think that is a great price point for the tickets, easy to let a $10 bill go but still enough to ramp the total up quickly.

skiroule

Sled Reveal

Made it out to Haydays yesterday and finally saw the finished Make-A-Wish sled. I thought it looked great and was every bit as impressive as the photos. The high gloss paint gives it just a hint of custom look that sets it apart from the stock T’NT look.

Also got to re-connect with Snoluver1 and meet some of his JD member friends (at least he claimed they were his friends, they didn’t actually confirm this). I also managed to get a photo of the camera shy fellow on the sled and if he gives me any guff, I’m posting it.

From what I saw, ticket sales were very brisk and it seemed to me that you people out there really stepped up for the cause. It’s that kind of response that will really put the finishing touch on the success of this project.

I’ve mentioned this earlier but based on the people’s response this weekend it now seems even more appropriate to remind people that we are going to sweeten the pot a little. There is so much that is new on the sled but we had a bunch of extra, used parts and thought that there may be a number of items that would be nice to have, if for no other purpose than deep backup. As a result, we put together a “care package” that will be included with the sled and will hopefully keep this sled on the snow for a long time to come. We focused on parts that are not as likely to be available as after-market items and all the parts have been prepped for long-term storage.

Parts_is_Parts.jpg

I will see that this package gets up to the U.P. in plenty of time for the drawing.

It was a bonus seeing the sled wrap on John’s sled – very cool! I loved the concept. Also, thanks to Matt for the space!