TNT resto project
[/URL][/IMG]

TNT resto project
[/URL][/IMG]

TNT resto project
[/URL][/IMG]

TNT resto project
[/URL][/IMG]

Once I got the engine out and 35 years worth of crud scraped off, I discovered a nasty little surprise. A big hole in the belly pan that someone had patched. I'll try to make up a better looking patch and weld in it, but I think any dreams of a best of show trophy have officially been squashed. There is quite a bit of damage all over the belly pan that will be difficult to straighten out. I'll do the best I can with it, but there is not much chance of getting it perfect.

TNT resto project
[/URL][/IMG]

TNT resto project
[/URL][/IMG]

So we officially have a carcass. I'll be working on getting a parts list together this week and also want to get the engine torn down and measured up to make sure nothing is to far out of tolerance. Hopefully there is no major surprises in there.

TNT resto project
[/URL][/IMG]
TNT resto project
[/URL][/IMG]
TNT resto project
[/URL][/IMG]

frosty

That looks like a lawnmower engine!!! You sure thats what was bolted in there.

That belly pan looks like about 4 hours of work to get it welded right. Bondo can do wonders!!!! ;)

Bring it on over when you have about a half a day to spare on it.

snoluver1

snoluver ,anything that needs paint work let me know i'll help you out.

Thanks for the offer phazerpilot! Do you work in the auto-body industry? I am trying to get the old paint stripped off and am not having much luck. I don't know what kind of paint they used back then but, "Aircraft" stripper won't touch it! I've never come across anything that stuff wouldn't eat through. I've tried scuffing it first and that doesn't seem to help much. Any advise?? I know I could sandblast it and will do that in the tough spots, but it makes a ridiculous mess, and blasting media for aluminum is quite expensive!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the offer phazerpilot! Do you work in the auto-body industry? I am trying to get the old paint stripped off and am not having much luck. I don't know what kind of paint they used back then but, "Aircraft" stripper won't touch it! I've never come across anything that stuff wouldn't eat through. I've tried scuffing it first and that doesn't seem to help much. Any advise?? I know I could sandblast it and will do that in the tough spots, but it makes a ridiculous mess, and blasting media for aluminum is quite expensive!

Could it be powdercoat and not paint?

-John

mrsrunningbear

Bear has been in the Auto body business all his life. From what you said he thinks they might have mixed the paint right in with the fiberglass, try to paint over it is his thought

snoluver1

I'm not sure John. I've noticed any where there is some corrosion that the paint bubbles up and peels right off with the stripper. Was powder coating even around in 1976? I'm thinking its some kind of baked on enamel but I don't know.

snoluver1

Bear has been in the Auto body business all his life. From what you said he thinks they might have mixed the paint right in with the fiberglass, try to paint over it is his thought

I haven't gotten to the fiberglass yet. Working on the Aluminum belly pan right now.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure John. I've noticed any where there is some corrosion that the paint bubbles up and peels right off with the stripper. Was powder coating even around in 1976? I'm thinking its some kind of baked on enamel but I don't know.

I don't know when powder coating came out. Maybe epoxy paint. I know they had that in the mid 70's. Used it on some marine applications then.

Hopefully someone will have a solution to removing it short of media blasting the whole thing.

-John

snoluver1

Well I've spent every free second I had this week stripping paint. What a chore! I knew it would consume some time, but honestly had no expectation it would be as difficult as it has been. I finally figured out I could get the stripper to work a bit better, by first applying just enough heat to the paint to get it to start to blister. Then I let it cool and applied the stripper. This made it a little better but it still took a LOT of elbow grease. I'm still not completely done but I've got it on the run now!

PB271306.jpg
[/IMG]
PB271309.jpg
[/IMG]

snoluver1

Its my pleasure John! Its actually working out quite well for me. I get to spend all my free time out in the garage playing with a snowmobile, and the wife doesn't give me any grief about it because she knows its for a fantastic cause! :)

polarisrider1

Its my pleasure John! Its actually working out quite well for me. I get to spend all my free time out in the garage playing with a snowmobile, and the wife doesn't give me any grief about it because she knows its for a fantastic cause! :)
Let me know when you come up with a part number for a windshield, belt, etc. So I can start digging thru 3 barns of vintage parts. Stock or after market numbers are needed to find anything in there.

snoluver1

My focus this week has been on getting the beat up belly pan straightened out. A big thanks goes out to Josh Pagles, of Harvard IL. Josh donated his time and welding supplies to get the tig welding done. We spent two long nights after work in his garage, forming and shaping the pieces, and getting it all welded back together. Then it was back to my garage for the "easy" part. Grinding, sanding and smoothing out the welds. Its not going to be perfect, but it looks a heck of a lot better than an old beer can riveted over the hole! I also got quite a few of the dents worked out. Still a ways to go before she's ready for paint, but I'm making progress anyway.

Here are some before and after shots:
PB211294.jpg
PC031319.jpg
PB191291.jpg
PC031322.jpg
[/IMG]
PB211295.jpg
MG]
PC031317.jpg
[/IMG]
PB211296.jpg
[/IMG]
PC031323.jpg
[/IMG]

phazerpilot

snoluver ,sorry i have not been on this post for awhile. see that you have got i stripped ,looks like you are dealing with an old epoxy paint ,they get rock hard with age .i have been in the paint biz since 84 spent the last 11yrs as a tech rep for sherwin automotive. where are you in il. I p m'd you my # call me and we 'll work on getting it in color.