Make-A-Wish sled restoration project.

snoluver1

Thanks for the Help Skiroule! I think the hoods would be interchangeable between 75-76, possibly even 74? I think the only difference is the graphics and spedo/tach options. Some came with both, some came with only a spedo. I have only a spedo but could use the cover plate off the hood I have.

polarisrider1

lol, enemy territory, lol. I am no where near Detroit. Grand Rapids is all nice folks. We are a bit conservative dutch here. I could look through all the barns but I bet I would not find all the right stuff you need. I can match up a belt and windshield but thats about it.
skiroule, you are like a long ways from here, your like 2 states over. p.s. Is the movie "Fargo" a good representation of MN.?? lol.

snoluver1

Well, unfortunately I didn't have a ton of free time this week. What little I did have was spent researching parts and trying to stick people up for money!:) We did get a few donations rolling in and with that I was able to purchase the filler I needed for the belly pan.

I'm also dealing with some equipment malfunctions. My 30 year old compressor finally gave up the ghost. I do have a back up, but it has a three phase motor and I need some parts to get it working. Hopefully I will have that squared away by Monday.

Today was not a total loss though. The clutch cover front mount was all mangled up, so I hacked that off and went to work straightening it out.

PC171331.jpg
[/IMG]

Its funny, the useful junk you can find around the house sometimes. I found this steel drawer divider and it just so happens to be the same gage steel I needed. Bonus, it already has a partial roll that I can work into what I need.
PC171334.jpg

PC171335.jpg

PC171336.jpg

Got the pieces all made up and then it was time to weld it all back together.

PC171337.jpg

PC171340.jpg

PC171343.jpg

Time is going to be in short supply this week also, as we will be in full blown holiday mode at the house. I do have a few days off over the holidays though. I plan on hitting the project hard and hopefully have the chassis ready for paint by the fist of the year.

renten

The hood might not be fiberglass. I think Ski Doo was experimenting with different types of body materials around that time. I have a '75 T'NT 340 that I'm getting ready for the trails and some vintage rides and my bodywork is polycarbonate and not fiberglass.

8rgade@att.net

74 fiberglass 74 1/2 poly. Try to find a poly one. The fiberglass ones are like eggshells. 74 has inside rubber tie down. 75&76 have outside lever for tie down. I will try to get some pics of under the hood. A everest has a longer track bellypan and hood are the same.

snoluver1

Thanks for the info 8rgade. I'm not too worried about the front bumper. Mine is painted not chrome. I could just make them if I have to. My hood is definitely poly and has the outside tie downs.
Your sled looks fantastic! Did you refinish your pipe to get it to look that good, or did you find a NOS one?

8rgade@att.net

I did it. Sand blast and painted with high temp paint. Did everything with spray cans beleave it or not. I did bake Ypipe in my gas grill. it is holding up good.

snoluver1

I mean on the pipe itself. The outside is wrapped with a heat shield and under that is fiberglass matting. Mine is rotted through in some spots.

PC181347.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

8rgade@att.net

Sorry I see now. No mine was in good shape. I wish you had some snow up there I would see what I can get and come up. Let me make a call and see if my buddy has a pipe.