Marketplace Listing, Results

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
About a month ago I asked for advice in using Marketplace for the first time. I was in the process of listing my 2018 Yamaha Waverunner. We didn't use it enough and I'm always looking for more space in the garage, so down the road she goes. The following are my experiences;

1. It doesn't cost anything to advertise. If you're on Facebook, you have access.
2. The listings are from soup to nuts and are endless. You could spend hours scrolling through the listings. (and some people do)
3. The number of people buying and selling on there are too many to count.
4. Yup, there's low ballers, scammers, etc. but you can check their profile to weed out the deadbeats.
5. My ad was up for a little more than 2 weeks and had more than a thousand visitors.
6. Out of that thousand, I had maybe 10 legit offers. That's about 1% but out of that was a buyer and it's sold!

So at the end of the day I would recommend it. It takes some patience, most responses were from the Milwaukee area. The farthest was some dude from Saudi Arabia. Not necessarily a hotbed of Jet Ski activity. I even reconnected with a guy I worked with 20 years ago. Seriously, if you sitting around waiting for the paint to dry checkout Marketplace on F.B. There is no end to the stuff a guy could find on there.;)

eagle1

I can't believe the stuff people sell.......who has time to answer 30 messages for $10 item. I probably throw away nicer stuff just to not deal with people.😂
One guy at work all he does is scan market place all day.

elf

Its so hard to sort out the scammers who are misrepresenting what they are selling. My wife and I are looking for a 5th wheel so I'm watching multiple FB sites. And then I see our old camper up for sale, the one the insurance company totaled last year due to we had a storm destroy our awning one weekend and tear our roof fabric resulting in the roof decking getting a soft spot and needing expensive repairs. It was then sold on Cranky Ape for a song and now its up for sale on FB. But according the seller it's never leaked, roof is perfect, been stored inside all of its life (never) and the awning was hit this spring by a tree so thats why its missing. Just a bunch of BS. Maybe the guy fixed the roof but he's still lying his butt off. I really want to say something on his ad but also don't want to start a keyboard war.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's probably always been this way dating back to the days of horse and buggy. There's a story of back in the days of the Civil War that a Shoe Company sold their footwear to the army but the shoes fell apart after just a few days of marching. When questioned about this the owner replied that the shoes were intended for the Calvary. Caveat Emptor....always!!

russholio

It's probably always been this way dating back to the days of horse and buggy. There's a story of back in the days of the Civil War that a Shoe Company sold their footwear to the army but the shoes fell apart after just a few days of marching. When questioned about this the owner replied that the shoes were intended for the Calvary. Caveat Emptor....always!!
There were tons of shady manufacturers making lots of money off shoddy goods during the Civil War......shoes, uniforms, weapons, you name it. Sound familiar?

600_RMK_144

Yeah. I use it ALL the time! Selling is always interesting as you deal with a lot of jack a$$. "I will come get it now for $100" > on a $800 item. There is a good joke about that and I REALLY plan to use it some day. But I need to have my local comedy club address on hand to pull it off. LOL!

Something like this...

"what's the lowest you would go?"
"i won't take less than $800"
"would you take $100?"
"Sure, why not?"
"what's your address, I can meet you now"
"1234 Main St"
An hour later...
"I'm in the parking lot"
"good, now go inside"
"what? It's a comedy club?"
"yep!....... now go inside and tell your jokes to someone else"

I'm going to do it one of these days! How awesome would it be to bait someone with that and have them ACTUALLY show up?!!!!!

elf

And I love the people that say when you're asking $1000 for something "will you take $500 cash?" No, but I'll take $800 in pebbles. What the heck do people think they are going to pay with?

heckler56

The latest thing for my ads is “is it still available?” And the last line of the ad says “if the post is up, it is still available”.

indy_500

The latest thing for my ads is “is it still available?” And the last line of the ad says “if the post is up, it is still available”.
See, from someone whose bought and sold a ton on marketplace, I’m not a fan of that thought process, and dislike it when people put in the ad “will not respond to is this still available”. You can have a pending sale, someone with plans to get it that night, etc. but many don’t automatically switch the post to pending because they either don’t know how or because it will deter more buyers in case it falls through. Is it still available is a also simple conversation starter, would the haters prefer someone to say “ya still got the truck for sale bud?”. Facebook has the auto reply setup to respond, and it takes 2 seconds out of the sellers life to quickly reply. Don’t see why so many are bothered by it.

Last edited:

LoveMyDobe

I listed last Fall my 2004 Polaris Scrambler 500 for 2 grand( Ive had this machine since its "birth" and it took alot to sell as its soo much fun to ride straight axel and all but everyone now has side by sides and I had noone to scramble with), I had countless youngsters wanting to trade for a sled, most were in MN. 2 weeks later I had a local guy message me and said he was out of the Country on vaca that desperately wanted it. He came over with 2 grand cash, drove it 10 feet, handed me cash, wanted no bill of sale and told me it was going to a good home over and over again. You just have to be patient. Also listing it on Marketplace you can choose an option to have it listed on local garage sale sites.