Mattress buying help needed

zl800

My wife and I are buying a new mattress. We can't decide between a firm serta mattress and a tempurpedic mattress. Anyone have a tempurpedic and willing to share what they like and dislike about it? Any information would be great.

2tonheavy

Tempurpedic was nice when new.Like it warm when I sleep and it is that.now for the downfall,overpriced,can not flip only rotate. dip and valleys form/warranty is bogus.I would not buy another.might look at sleep #

doospunk

I've heard the same about tempurpedic. We don't personally have one, but on a Simmons pillow top with the same material on the top of the mattress. It was great for the first few months, then the memory foam began to dip and groove. It was terrible for me as I am a stomach sleeper, so my mid section continued to arch downwards more and more leaving me with the worst morning aches in my back that I've ever had. We're actually in the market for a new one, and have zeroed in on the sleep number for the fact that you can adjust to stiffen it up as needed. Just my opinion though.

frnash

I had been lusting for a Tempur-Pedic® for over a decade, in part due to two ruptured disks in the lumbar spine (L4 & L5). I finally got my Tempur-Pedic® about 8 or 9 years ago.

The first few nights certainly were amazing. I think I actually awoke in exactly the same position I fell asleep in. No tossing or turning. Literally like sleeping on a cloud.

From their web site: Tempur-Pedic, they seem to have added a bazillion new models since. From the Compare Our Mattresses link, I would guess mine is the Advantage Bed, Traditional profile, 8" thick mattress, Queen size, on a 9" foundation.

It's still OK, but it doesn't seem quite the same. Still no tossing and turning, though. I have experienced absolutely no issues with "dips and valleys" whatsoever!

One issue is that I got the flat mattress and flat foundation, all resting on a conventional bed frame. Over time, with my screwed up back, I have come to wish I had chosen the articulated, motorized bed frame, much like the TEMPUR® Advanced Ergo System™, 'cuz there are times when I sleep better in the ol La-Z-Boy® recliner than sleeping on my side!

I am less impressed with the Side Pillow. (I do sleep on my side, but I find them far too shallow, and like the mattress, they weigh a ton!)

On another note, I bought a Tempur-Pedic® Medical mattress in Long Twin size (for less than $800.00) for a friend that was confined to bed in a nursing home with issues of bedsores and occasional incontinence. It was an amazing mattress, with a cover that was washable, impermeable to liquids, yet breathable, allowing for air flow through the mattress. Now that was an outstanding mattress! If I ever find myself in such a situation, that's the mattress I want to have!

I have also tried the Sleep Number Beds by Select Comfort. No comparison! At any "Sleep Number" setting I could feel the lengthwise air chamber inside the beds, or at least that was the perception. Absurd! Like sleeping on a cloud? No, more like sleeping on a log! Comfortable? Not! Nowhere near the comfort of the Tempur-Pedic® mattress!

2tonheavy

I stand firmer than my bed when I say dips and valleys.Purchased a king size unit about 2 1/2 years ago.Cost about $2200.00 at that time.My opinion,we over spent for what we received!I never slept on a sleep #, but have heard good things about them.

juiceman29

I have a memory foam that is not tempurpedic. I believe it is a sealy. Same concept, kinda expensive but I will never go back to a spring mattress. I have never noticed any sagging or dip or groove. Highly recommended. I would check the brand but the wifey is sleepin.

ezra

I had a top of the line sleep number HATED IT just another 2k pissed out the window when I went to take it apart to toss the over priced Aero bed in a minute in the trash there was mold in between the army surplus air mattress and the foam side's nice.I then bought 1 more close to 2k matteres I think it is a kingsdown or something like that. that thing is about 2 yrs old and is like sleeping in a hammock now.if I need a good night sleep I head out to the Broyhill couch best bed I own.I think broyhill needs to start making beds out of couch cushion material.if you decide to get the sleep number keep all and I mean all your packing materials if you want to send it back for your sleep trial.every bag every box every piece of tape!

upsledder

What ever you do, don't buy a sleep number with dual air chambers, big valley in between. The best I've slept in a long time was at a brand new Rodeway Inn in Asheville, NC. Nice new pillowtop matresses, wish I would have wrote down the maker.

cyguy

If you're thinking about the sleep number, just save yourself a bunch of money and go buy a nice double blow up air mattress. We tried the sleep number and I thought it was CHEAP!

brad

I have a king sized Tempurpedic and it's the most comfortable I've ever been in a bed......consistently. I've had back surgery 3 times now, and have suffered with stiffness and achey back stuff for years. But no more!! I absolutely love the mattress.

My parents have a king sized sleep number bed and love it. I've not experienced it for obvious reasons, but they truly do go on and on about it.

D

Deleted member 10829

I have a king size sleep number and love it! There is absolutely no valley in it, in fact there is a foam piece that fits between the two mattresses to make sure. I've talked to many many people about the sleep # bed and the complaints on here are the first I have ever heard. They had a few issues with the early beds, but I got mine 4 years ago and it's the best bed I've ever had!

ranman

Shopping for a mattress is probably the the most confusing, frustrating shopping you can ever do.
I think these mattress companies purposley make it as complicated as they can. Its absolutley impossibe to comparison shop.

98panther

Sleep number beds at least the old ones ( ours is 12 years old) The box spring, or plastic lego thing they use falls apart over time.

The plastic tabs break off, and the thing is squeeky as heck, And it saggs. making the whole bed very uncomfortable.

Just built a new platform for ours and threw the plastic out.

Other than that, it works and gives you the option for a firmer or softer bed, when I do alot work and my back is killing me.

frnash

<font color="0000ff">ranman:
"I think these mattress companies purposley make it as complicated as they can. Its absolutley impossibe to comparison shop."</font>

Exactly so!
And the "name brands" even use different model names and appearance items for their "brand name" mattresses sold through various big vendors, just to confuse the issue even more!

yamahauler

just make sure whatever brand you buy that they have a 30+ money back guarantee. If you don't like it, send it back and try a different one. Make sure the money back isn't just store credit either.