MI Fatality with groomer

2TrakR

As a groomer operator, this is horrifying. Tragedy for sure and my condolences to the family. I don't know more than what the DNR has published, but I know this trail is a RR grade and my first thoughts are that it should be very difficult to be surprised by anything coming at you.

DNR press release:

Wisconsin man dies in snowmobile-groomer crash in Iron County​

A 42-year-old Wisconsin man was killed Thursday morning when the snowmobile he was operating crashed into an approaching trail groomer.

Todd Lisowe, of New Holstein, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which was located south of Crystal Falls. Attempts to resuscitate Lisowe were made.

The crash – the 15th snowmobile fatality in Michigan this winter – occurred at about 11:45 a.m. CST along Snowmobile Trail UP 113.

Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers said Lisowe was the first rider traveling south with three other Wisconsin snowmobilers between U.S. Highway 2 and Stager Lake Road.

The riders were headed from Big Bay in Marquette County to Pembine, Wisconsin.

Lisowe collided with a trail groomer that was headed north, actively grooming the trail. The groomer was being operated by the Chippewa Sno-Kats Snowmobile Club of Crystal Falls.

Neither the groomer operator nor a passenger in the vehicle was injured in the collision.

Conservation officers said excessive speed is believed to be the cause of the fatal crash. No alcohol or drug use is suspected. The weather was clear with no visibility concerns.

Speed is the primary cause of fatal and serious snowmobile injury accidents in Michigan. Last winter, there were a total of 13 snowmobiling fatalities in Michigan and 12 during the winter of 2020-2021.

saber1

Thats crazy if it was a RR grade u can see those groomers coming from a mile away maybe he was in a section with a dip and didnt see the groomer till it was too late still my condolences

indy_500

RIP such a tragedy. Left behind 2 little ones and a fabrication business. The wife passed away due to covid in 2021, and now this. Couldn’t imagine what those 2 kids are going through

pclark

RIP such a tragedy. Left behind 2 little ones and a fabrication business. The wife passed away due to covid in 2021, and now this. Couldn’t imagine what those 2 kids are going through
Some things just aren't fair in life, hope he has some great parents or family that can take on the 2 kids.

SHOOT2KILL

Probably one of my favorite trails I have ever ridden...Yes I will admit to speeds in excess of 100 mph while riding that trail...It's not very long, maybe 15 miles...But it sure is fun & Fast...Godspeed

SHOOT2KILL

Thats crazy if it was a RR grade u can see those groomers coming from a mile away maybe he was in a section with a dip and didnt see the groomer till it was too late still my condolences
Not at warp speed...Several long sweeping corners, that as the season goes on the snow builds a berm on the outside of the corners and makes them even faster...You can literally ride those corners like on a bobsled course...

hermie

There is a guy on Doo talk who knows the guy who died and his friends were riding with him. He says his friend came over the hill and couldn't see the groomer on the other side. Either way it's really sad for the family and his children. God bless the ones he left behind R.I.P

LoveMyDobe

Same thing happened in Grand Rapids MN, sled came around corner and hit head on, ended up stuck under groomer. He passed away.

ridindirty800

There is a guy on Doo talk who knows the guy who died and his friends were riding with him. He says his friend came over the hill and couldn't see the groomer on the other side. Either way it's really sad for the family and his children. God bless the ones he left behind R.I.P

Heard the same that it happened right over the top of a hill. Sad for all involved, thoughts and prayers to the family of deceased and groomer driver.