Munising fail.

slowsi00

Really? 5-8 inches of fresh and trail 8 has whoops as if it's hasn't been touched in days. It's the main way in and out of anywhere. This is a Friday not that much traffic. First time here could be last. Wishing I was north of the bridge right now. I love da UP.

joks79

It's bad! We went thru there yesterday and today. They need a new contractor for grooming. One that will actually groom at night.

Kramharpster

Must agree

Really? 5-8 inches of fresh and trail 8 has whoops as if it's hasn't been touched in days. It's the main way in and out of anywhere. This is a Friday not that much traffic. First time here could be last. Wishing I was north of the bridge right now. I love da UP.

Been riding here all week, groomers dis appeared Thursday morning. With all the traffic that is not tolerable. Yes I know there is a lot of traffic here and passing through. Get off your a$$ and groom 24 / 7 like you are suppose toThis applies to Munising system ONLY.

maddog24

News Flash. Their trails have , for most part, sucked for years. We stopped riding that area in the 90's. We avoid that area like the plague. Its real unfortunate for all the business's in the area.

knappattack

I agree, we went out Friday morning at 7 thinking we'd be first out on fresh groomed trails like other areas of the UP. Ha, surprise! Nice cold weather and the very worst thing we've ever ridden on! Come back thru to the motel later Friday evening and again, never groomed. Saw the groomer coming at us about 1/2 mile from the turn into Munising grooming at 7 PM. What good does it do to groom at 7 PM with everyone still out riding??? Really Stupid!!

***? Shouldn't someone tell these boneheads they need to groom after midnight - 3AM of something, and also then again during the day if it gets bad??

EPIC FAIL MUNISING!!!!!!!!! It was our first trip there to check out the "Snowmobiling Capital of the Midwest", we left early and will never return! Dang shame because the towns around there were all very nice. Can't call it the "Snowmobiling Capital of the Midwest" without backing it up!!

pfd_crew

munising visitor bureau 906 387-1717
or get ahold of them on facebook and let them know what you think.

shrek

I complained about the Munising trails to the DNR and MSA. Here is the contact info I was given for people in charge of the Munising area.

"Bob Stein is the primary signer on the contact for the grant, his number is (906) 387-3232; the field contact is Brett Bednarski and Scott Lakowsky at the Shingleton DNR Field Office at (906) 452-6227 Ext# 250; of course you know that Dan Moore is the Eastern UP Rec Spec in Newberry and wants to be kept in the loop... his number is (906) 293-5131, Ext# 4045.

You mentioned the reporting hotline at the MSA Office and to my knowledge it has never been discontinued. Anyone with a complaint ( or good trails report) should contact Karen at (616) 361-2285, but she won't take anonymous calls, so be prepared to identify yourself when you make a report. Best I can offer you at this point other than to let you know we are aware of these conditions and are working to resolve the problems."

Munising has had these same problems for years and I am tired of all the excuses. Nothing will change in that area unless enough people speak up and voice their concern.

dwz

Stopped riding there in 2005 because of weak grooming and bad law inforcement, you win I took sleds and money to the western UP.

outdrsman83

We have a cabin in the Pinestump which is north of Newberry and east Grand Mari Its has been excellent every time we are there It can get bumpy in the afternoon and evening if its really busy but there out every night and when its real busy you will see the groomers out late afternoon these guys are great.

mguth

We have a cabin in the Pinestump which is north of Newberry and east Grand Mari Its has been excellent every time we are there It can get bumpy in the afternoon and evening if its really busy but there out every night and when its real busy you will see the groomers out late afternoon these guys are great.

We have ridden 600 miles in three days since Friday, iron mountain to Soo, covering over a half dozen different grooming clubs. The only trails that were horrible were the Munising Visitors Bureau trails. Noticeable difference in the lack of proper grooming in Munising. Grand Marais and Newberry are completely different trail systems, those are great and not what I'm commenting on.

polaris62

Trail 8 has always been horrible no excuse for it. I realize its very heavily traveled but so should those responsible for grooming. Sad thing is that just east in Seney are probably the best groomed trails in the UP.

mguth

Its sad when businesses have to post signs like this. Munising is such a great area that is being hurt by this.

Attachments

• IMG_20150201_183321010.jpg
    IMG_20150201_183321010.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 449

shrek

If we can get people to call hopefully it will change. I think this is the most that had been done to correct the problem in a long time.

bladeguy

The problem is that the trail is not flat underneath the snow. Unless it is graded flat no amount of grooming can fix it. I was a Munising regular and quit going. They groom every day. I have seen the groomer go by and ten minutes later its crap again. So the problem cannot be fixed during the winter. I think they would have to close the trails to ATV's for a while and grade the trail before snowmobile season to fix it. I had heard there was a project to try and fix this problem. I have avoided this beautiful area for several years now.

snocrazy

I would agree on the grading the dirt will help. Even if they did it every couple of years or some thing. Any thing is better then what it is now in the summer.

They should be able to control with regular grooming. All the other grooming around here is way better. South East and West. They have the same dirt trail conditions.
Also other clubs in the area grooming more miles of trails. Excuses need to stop and changes have to be made. Its beyond stupid for this to be happening for this long.

megan600

Keep giving your feedback to the MSA and DNR. There is being some progress being made based on a conversation I had with a local business owner who is very vested in this. I dont know that we will see the results of the change this year...but they are developing a plan going forward to improve the conditions, but we have to keep up the feedback!!!

bladeguy

They groom every day - just like other places. However, if you don't hit the trail till 10:30 you would never know it.