Munising fail.

snobuilder

this thread looks to be a "good ol boys network" as well....LOL

Good luck....now that we know the coordinater is new blood it will be interesting to see the positive progress.

mguth

Email I received this afternoon:
Thank you for your email expressing your concerns about the Munising area trail system. While I cannot answer all of your questions I will try. First off we absolutely do value snowmobiling dollars and realize that we a s a community need them in the winter for our businesses to not only survive but also to thrive. The specific things we are doing to alleviate the problem was to fire the head of grooming as of yesterday we then will be replacing the current contractor with a new contractor as of the beginning of next season as we are too far into this season to have a lapse in grooming. I will be handling all of the grooming management for the rest of the year and we will be looking into the next year at what the program is going to look like in the future. So to answer your question what we are we doing? We are completely redoing the whole program from the ground up. We will be working directly with several other grant sponsors who surround us to help us create a new program. We have new equipment coming and are renting a Duby drag out for the remainder of the season. As for the rumors you may have heard I can tell you one thing the contract is and always has been awarded in a open meeting with all the members votes so not sure what you heard but as far as that goes most likely not true. The program is audited by the DNR and there has never been anything "fishy" about it. Poorly ran yes I agree but fishy no. I can't say anymore but that I am working on it and working with the various local businesses and the MSA and the DNR to fix it and it won't be easy. I will be forming an snowmobile advisory committee this spring to advise our group on the perspective of the actual sledder on the trails. If you are interested in participating let me know and you can be included with any actual suggestions for improving things from this point forward. We cannot fix what happened yesterday or last month or last year but we will be working on it going forward. I hope people understand this is a whole new process for us and we are going to do our best to make it work.

Cori-Ann Cearley

Munising Visitors Bureau President

bee1971

Check the Seney report on fishweb. They are telling the other surrounding clubs have picked up the grooming for Munising.

There is a lot of traffic and we are grooming around the clock Thursdays thru Sundays to try to keep up with it on the weekends. Trails are in very good condition. Munising is releasing some of their trails to other clubs. The DNR is hoping this will help get their trails back into shape. We are picking up 4 more miles on trail 8 from Shingleton to trail 422. There is no schedule to groom 422 up to miners castle right now. don wants to try to do it before the weekend once but without another groomer it will be difficult. Don doesn't want to upset our grooming schedule so he will try to work it in. the 4 miles on trail 8 will be groomed daily as an extension to the Bear Trap run. That will make his run 11-16 hours depending on snow conditions. That's why we can't just add 422 to the run; it would add at least 2.5 hours. Other bordering clubs will be picking up mileage also and Munising will be down to only 50 miles to take care of. They only have one groomer operating so they should be able to keep up now. That's the current plan anyway. Here's hoping!!

snocrazy

Ron Corbett called me again this morning and said "effective immediately" Bob Stein has been relived of his duties as the grant sponsor manager for the area. The owner from the former Days Inn (now Pictured Rocks Hotel) will be the new manager of the grooming operations.

Snocrazy....is this the same person that had been managing it last year or in the past?

I don't know. I do remember at some point last year the guy that ran seney was pulled in. He was retiring or some thing but stuck around to help the cause. We ran in to him one night at the buckhorn.

snocrazy

fishweb munising report also reporting good news.

We have been getting a Alot of feedback regarding Munising trail conditions-mostly negative. Both the DNR and MSA has been aware of this situation and has been working on it the last few weeks. "Major changes coming to Munising grooming operations and its expected trails to be much better pretty quickly". That is a quote from DNR yesterday. I can't go into all the details but I think you deserve a bit more info. The clubs to the east, west and south of Munising will now have a big part in grooming the Munising area trails. The frequency of grooming will be brought up to DNR standards as specified in the grooming handbook to maintain a safe smooth trail. Remember this will be a work in progress. It will start now. This summer additional changes will be coming. As always feel free to e mail me with feedback, I may not respond right away but your messages do get read and forwarded to the appropriate person.

snobuilder

Thats some good news overall.

Tell me this....those of you who have ATV' on trail8....i assume it IS open to ATV's.......Are those "rollers" in the terrain or is that all snow?

uprider1100

First off its great to hear things are being addressed. Sencond is hats off to all the groomer operators who are helping pick up the slack. I know Seney and Grand Marias clubs do a bang up job! Lastly yes Trail 8 is a atv route in summer or at least it has been in the past and yes its rough. Hopefully they will address this as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens to the trails in the next few years because I really enjoy the area.

megan600

We ride rzr's up there sometimes in the summer and yes the main section of 8 that runs through the Wetmore/Munising area is pretty rough. Not quite the sno-cross size rollers we see in the winter. But lots of large holes and chatter bumps. We typically jump off the trail and run on CR-532 just parallel to trail 8 because its so bad.

I'm being optimistic here and hoping that this is a step in the right direction to improving the area :)

bladeguy

I sure hope the solve the problems in the beautiful area. I will return after I hear from actual riders that the problem is resolved. I don't expect perfection - I will take not horrible...

EXCESSIVE FORCE

Email I received this afternoon:
Thank you for your email expressing your concerns about the Munising area trail system. While I cannot answer all of your questions I will try. First off we absolutely do value snowmobiling dollars and realize that we a s a community need them in the winter for our businesses to not only survive but also to thrive. The specific things we are doing to alleviate the problem was to fire the head of grooming as of yesterday we then will be replacing the current contractor with a new contractor as of the beginning of next season as we are too far into this season to have a lapse in grooming. I will be handling all of the grooming management for the rest of the year and we will be looking into the next year at what the program is going to look like in the future. So to answer your question what we are we doing? We are completely redoing the whole program from the ground up. We will be working directly with several other grant sponsors who surround us to help us create a new program. We have new equipment coming and are renting a Duby drag out for the remainder of the season. As for the rumors you may have heard I can tell you one thing the contract is and always has been awarded in a open meeting with all the members votes so not sure what you heard but as far as that goes most likely not true. The program is audited by the DNR and there has never been anything "fishy" about it. Poorly ran yes I agree but fishy no. I can't say anymore but that I am working on it and working with the various local businesses and the MSA and the DNR to fix it and it won't be easy. I will be forming an snowmobile advisory committee this spring to advise our group on the perspective of the actual sledder on the trails. If you are interested in participating let me know and you can be included with any actual suggestions for improving things from this point forward. We cannot fix what happened yesterday or last month or last year but we will be working on it going forward. I hope people understand this is a whole new process for us and we are going to do our best to make it work.

Cori-Ann Cearley

Munising Visitors Bureau President

LOVE the line about not replacing the current contractor now because they don't want a lapse in grooming...LMAO....

snocrazy

Thats some good news overall.

Tell me this....those of you who have ATV' on trail8....i assume it IS open to ATV's.......Are those "rollers" in the terrain or is that all snow?

Every trail is open to atv's around here if not hiking or biking... Maybe not legally but they are all ridden. Lot of the 2 tracks should be called 2 ruts.
Nothing different form any other areas trails in summer to be honest.

jl2323

Whatever issues existed in the Munising area have apparently been fixed. We just arrived in Au Train today. Trails 7, 411, and 8 were perfect. 8 was better than I can ever remember. Bravo!!

attack_06

I was thru there twice over last weekend 8 was real good 70mph 41 on the other hand from shingle ton to south of 413 towards manis toque was rougher than **** 2ft moguls yamacat had a workout

fire126

We are going to Au Train on Thursday for the weekend and Im glad to hear trails are doing better. We have not been in this area for ten years. looking forward to some new trails.

durphee

As with polar fusion stated, a good friend is riding up there now and has texted me how great the trails conditions are. I have never ridden in that area but from his texts it looks like a place I need to ride.

As far as trails in the summer, I ride a good amount on the 4 wheelers the trails near hayward in the summer. I am actually shocked at how good the trails can get in the winter due to the ruts, dips, rocks, etc that are exposed during the summer. It definitely makes you appreciate the work put into trail maintenance, there not all flat old railroad beds your riding on.