Munising fail.

Bullitt69

So in less than 2 weeks things have really started to turn around.

Democracy has it's moments...

I'm quite surprised it's dragged on this long. Munising isn't exactly convenient from across the bridge, nor is it an easy stretch from those coming up from Wisconsin, or Minnesota. The Keweenaw is much nearer. What's the appeal I wonder? Why's it so popular?

snocrazy

Friday Night at 6pm I rode to wetmore - holiday from the buckhorn. Trail 8 was perfect. 413 was even nice. I can not believe the turn around.
Why this took so long to happen blows my mind. They obviously know what it takes to have good trails.
Hope this continues. If it does Munising area will be some of the best trails around.

catspaz8

Just returned from Wetmore today, yesterday RODE UP 7 TO THE BUCKHORN, PERFECT, LEFT THE BUCKHORN AND went north to 8, then east to 422, north to Miners Castle.Even 8 was nice. 422 had one or two rough section the farther north you went, but nothing bad at all.

PAssed many groomers all weekend.

whitedust

So in less than 2 weeks things have really started to turn around.

Democracy has it's moments...

I'm quite surprised it's dragged on this long. Munising isn't exactly convenient from across the bridge, nor is it an easy stretch from those coming up from Wisconsin, or Minnesota. The Keweenaw is much nearer. What's the appeal I wonder? Why's it so popular?

You been there?? Very beautiful area may want to visit in summer take a boat ride....can't think of another area like it maybe Copper Harbor with beaches as nice as western shore of Lake Michigan from Escanaba to the Mac. Check it out you will see.

It's in a snow belt area. 1st trip there, it was the only place in the midwest with snow. Add water, hotels, and 2tracks; its a good spot to go.

megan600

Almost want to keep it a highly guarded secret...but the trails were awesome this weekend! I realize other areas are stepping in and helping out Munising, so they aren't doing this all solo... but wow what a change from the other two times I have been there this year! Stayed at the Buckhorn, ran trail 8 and the Haywire alot...and all was perfect. Havent seen the trails this good in years.

With that said...all you that are skeptical, or have wrote Munising off in the past, please stay away for a little bit longer...its busy enough up there ;)

Bullitt69

Whitedust, HardwaterH,

Actually, I lived right outside of Munising for a summer (Eben Jct), and yes - it's a beautiful area no doubt. You're right, the beaches in the summer are very nice in the bay, some great memories there. But - I can't say its much different that the rest of the UP, most of it being in a snowbelt minus maybe Marquette (cept Ishpeming or Negaunee), the southern shores and the leeward areas east of the Keweenaw. Everywhere there is something vastly unique and and appealing. I just wanted to hear what others have to say, thank you!

miked

Munising was AWESOME this weekend...well...except for the almost total lack of visibility on Saturday due to blizzard conditions! Stayed at AmericInn...VERY nice hotel, and even as heavily traveled as 419 is in and out of that area, it had nary a bump. LOTS of families and huge groups of riders all weekend due to the holiday.

Only downfall of the entire weekend was trying to eat at Foggy's Sunday night. The place was a mob scene, we had to walk out after waiting 15 minutes for a waitress to even talk to us after we sat down. No big deal...they were overwhelmed, though.

bladeguy

I think this is all a conspiracy! You are all probably Munising business owners. Conditions in Munising cannot suddenly be this good after fifteen years of crap! What have you done with the real John Dee members? Its time to fess up! Admit it - you are not real people!

jebutler

I rode through Munising Monday, February 9, Tuesday, February 10 and on Friday February 13. The trails were great all three days, I even passed a groomer Friday evening on Trail 8. This is the most consistent grooming of the trails in Munising I have ever experienced, and I have been snowmobiling in the U.P. since 1995. Great Job! Now let's keep it up.

megan600

I think this is all a conspiracy! You are all probably Munising business owners. Conditions in Munising cannot suddenly be this good after fifteen years of crap! What have you done with the real John Dee members? Its time to fess up! Admit it - you are not real people!

LOL as I said...I think all you nay-sayers should stay away for a little while longer... let us all verify for you for a little bit longer that the trails are actually improving. I mean, we truly are doing it for your best interest. ;) Hate to steer you wrong! haha I'll have another report in a few weeks.

helhuf

Its amazing when a different groomer takes over.... I guess all the letters and call might have worked..... My friends are there now and having a great time. I am going back in 2 weeks :)

eagle1

Amazing it took this long to get things changed. Glad things are looking up, beautiful area and trails.

heckler56

Been here all week. Trails have been very smooth and we have met a groomer everytime we are on 8. Many of the surrounding trails are being picked up by the adjacent clubs leaving Munising less to work. No complaints.

catspaz8

Munising has let other clubs takes over nearly half of there trail mileage, leaving them about fifty miles to groom. We were just there this last weekend and saw groomer running day and night. Even had near miss with one with a couple of guy,s in our group heading north from 440 up to the Buckhorn where the trail cuts into the evergreen there, they came around a blind corner and met the groomer nearly head on with the drag wings down and now where to go, first sled stopped about three inches from the blade and the second sled bumped it, so be careful until everyone is familiar with trails. Trails were smooth from Thursday to Monday, unusual.

Last edited:

heckler56

Its amazing when a different groomer takes over.... I guess all the letters and call might have worked..... My friends are there now and having a great time. I am going back in 2 weeks :)
Hah, you have been with us all week. And what is this stuff about being back in 2 weeks?

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 52
Are any of the clubs picking up trail 417 & 418? We were there this weekend and heard somebody had a fatal accident by AuTrain Friday. That trail had 3 to 4 ft moguls and was actually dangerous!! That railgrade saves 30 to 40 miles going from Marquette to Christmas and it never seems to be groomed.

Will be going there next weekend and would like to know if we need to take 8 and 7 (the long way).

By the way, I was in that area 3 weeks ago and 8 was horrific.......this weekend 8 and 7 were great!! Whatever happened, whoever is doing the grooming now, GREAT JOB!

Pizza Man

I have been going to Munising since 1980.
Back then you could get lost real easy as there was very little signage.
Trails where groomed by the club as best they could.
As the area became famous for alot of snow, the traffic increased to where it is today.
We were there 3 weeks ago and the trails were good but not great.
Our group put on nearly 400 miles and the only rough stuff we had was coming back from Shingelton late saturday afternoon.
We did meet the groomer going out of Wetmore for the evening grooming.
JMO, but with all the traffic up there, it's almost impossible to keep everything smooth.
It is better during the week with less traffic but realize that most work then.
I'll keep going up there as we like the area.