Need help making a decision for my dog

ill marty

Yesterday when we woke up in the morning . We turned on the light to say good morning to our dog like we always do. We noticed a few piles of puke . We petted our pup and when she got up she wouldnt put pressure on her leg. We thought that it might be a sleep but not the case. We took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with a acl injury. He gave us some pain meds and were getting a second opinion on tuesday.my pup just had her 12 birthday on the 15th.She is a shiba inu. My question is im thinking of waiting for alittle to see if it heals .Has anyone elected not to have surgery with ok results .Poor thing is limping around on 3 legs. Just looking for opinions. Thank you

ezra

My scotti had acl issues we ended up having to keep him more or less inot moving for over a MO and it healed on its own. not ez to do with a dog kennel and a leash in the home etc etc.
we did not have the surgery and it worked but I do know a few guys who have had to get the surgery and same deal cant let dog move around and it works and is not cheep

Last edited:

LoveMyDobe

My past Dobe had a torn acl, when she got up acted like her leg was asleep. This was diagnosed by our acupuncture vet. He gave us a chinese herbal pill Meridian Comfort. Within 2 weeks the limping was gone
Look into this website vet-stem.com
It is less invasive as regular surgery. This site explains the procedure and they will send you a list of vets who do this. The cost is WAY less than surgery.

dear_lodge

I've had the surgery on my Rotts in the past. With this one I went with keeping her quiet and high doses of VitaminC.
If you use VitaminC make sure you increase gradually or it comes out the other end very messy.
I now keep her on 500mg of VitaminC daily. I swear it heals almost everything.

rtrypwr

Our 7.5 year old German Shorthair has had both legs repaired. The first one was done almost 3 years ago. We had the 'tightrope' surgery. Second leg was done a year later, but we've since had to have the inside crimp removed as it came loose. Since that was removed his is better then 100%. I know of another guy who had both legs of his golden done at the same time had the TPLO. Do a search on google for the yahoo group 'ortho dogs' they have a TON of info and experiences.

There is also a custom brace that can be ordered to hold the leg in place and take pressure off the joint - depending on your situation it might be a good alternative...

ill marty

After carefule thinking . We have decided to not have surgery. Its been a week now and she is toe touching alittle. We have a park behind our house .We carry her out there let her go potty and carry her back in. Shes on good meds and we are keeping her from jumping off and on furniture . It will be a long road but with patience i think she will be ok.

ill marty

Wife and i just got back from the vet . We had to have our 12year old girl put down. We were just taking her in our yard and the park behind our house to go potty.Today she squated a big pop came from her good leg. She could not walk. My wife called me at work balling . I rushed home and we decided . I havnt cried so much since my grandmother passed. We loved that dog so much. I cant stand it . Her nick name was chooch her real name was bandit. I love you girl and miss you so much already.

L

lenny

wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,so sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stay strong you two!

ill marty

Thanks . This is the first morning in 12 years we dont have our friend to walk with. We must have walked 3000 miles together. I miss her so much i cant stand it. We walked her in the early morn . in the rain snow bitter cold extreme heat. I would come home for lunch walk her in the eve we would walk her . She loved to walk with her mom and dad.I just cant seem to get it together. Cant stop crying.i love you chooch.

mezz

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. This is a difficult time no doubt. Just remember, you gave your dog all of your love & she gave it back x2. You did the right thing by not allowing her to suffer, she was deserving of your decision, even for as hard as it was & is right now. Take care, things will get better.-Mezz

jakester

Marty, So sorry. Been thru it myself 5yrs ago with our golden. Said a little prayer for your family,know it's not much, but hope it helps. Idon't know if you've ever read the "rainbow bridge" but it's a beutiful tribute to a dog and his best bud. Man I really feel your pain. God Bless.

skiroule

Just thought I'd catch up on this thread. Now I'm finding that I'm having to take a little time to fight back the tears myself. Really sorry for what you are going through. So many of us know the feeling. Take comfort in the fact that she could not have had a better home.

LoveMyDobe

Sorry to read ANOTHER JD member is going through the loss of their fur kid.
It takes time, sometimes it feels like forever, to get thru this.
My deepest sympathies for you and your family.

jedoyle

Alright, I can finally type now that I have wiped some tears from my eyes. My thoughts go out to you & your family. When they say dogs are man's best friends they hit the nail on the head. No matter what kind of a day you had they are always there with their tail waggin'. Just remember the good times you shared!