New Polaris 800 motor

F

fusion

GD - no need to play nice, I can handle anything you dish. That's the flippin price within 25 miles either way of my loc in Vilas.
Don't believe me, call up Trackside and ask them for price, WITH filter. You save about 45-50 bucks if you don't have them change the filter.
Do I know I was getting "raped"? - you bet. Was there an alternative? - nope. I was in warranty so I wanted an authorized dealer to do the work - and sign my maintenance card.
I do things by the book. Like I said, for ME to do it, the first time - 3 hours, give or take 1/2 hour.
Don't concern yourself, I don't have the need anymore as all the Yammies are gone.
Now my only concern will be IF the 800 blows up on VES oil. But no more worries about paying $150 oil changes.
Part of the reason I'm done with the 4-stroke experiment.

Last edited:

tgun

Neighbor had over 4500 miles on his 12-800 pro r and no issues....really nice sled. I think the 800 is a fine choice....question to me is shorty or SB?

timo

GD - no need to play nice, I can handle anything you dish. That's the flippin price within 25 miles either way of my loc in Vilas.
Don't believe me, call up Trackside and ask them for price, WITH filter. You save about 45-50 bucks if you don't have them change the filter.
Do I know I was getting "raped"? - you bet. Was there an alternative? - nope. I was in warranty so I wanted an authorized dealer to do the work - and sign my maintenance card.
I do things by the book. Like I said, for ME to do it, the first time - 3 hours, give or take 1/2 hour.
Don't concern yourself, I don't have the need anymore as all the Yammies are gone.
Now my only concern will be IF the 800 blows up on VES oil. But no more worries about paying $150 oil changes.

i don't have a four stroke but i'm just curious.
does it really take 3 hours to change filter, drain oil and refill?
why so long??

groomerdriver

I guess I need to put more :) :) :) :) :) in my posts when I'm just giving you grief! :) :) :)

F

fusion

Timo - for a guy like me with very limited mechanical ability, who takes things slowly and deliberately to minimize mistakes, and has questionable patience, I'd say yes. (2.5 - 3 hrs.)
All I know is, there's a long illustration on TY about how to do it, with pics and all. The big thing is you have to prime the filter and reservoir. (probably saying it wrong)
There some other part of the delivery system where you have to drain a reservoir besides just the oil pan. I don't remember.
And some of it's hard to get to. After reading thru it all, I decided never to try it. I know there are guys that claim they can do it in an hour.
I've heard the 4-TEK is totally easy compared to the Yamaha's, like 30 -45 minutes the dealer told me, with easy access.

Last edited:

timo

Timo - for a guy like me with very limited mechanical ability, who takes things slowly and deliberately to minimize mistakes, and has questionable patience, I'd say yes. (2.5 - 3 hrs.)
All I know is, there's a long illustration on TY about how to do it, with pics and all. The big thing is you have to prime the filter and reservoir. (probably saying it wrong)
There some other part of the delivery system where you have to drain a reservoir besides just the oil pan. I don't remember.
And some of it's hard to get to. After reading thru it all, I decided never to try it. I know there are guys that claim they can do it in an hour.
I've heard the 4-TEK is totally easy compared to the Yamaha's, like 30 -45 minutes the dealer told me, with easy access.

gotcha.

durphee

Im in same boat as you, just learning and figuring mechanical things out. It takes time and lots of questions. Hardest time is the first time. Its funny how i just learned to change oil, im 37, but i could wire, frame, or plumb anything in a house easily. My father was a surgeon, he could knock out a knee surgery before breakfast; changing headlights on a car, you better block off some time and grab some beers for the show!

F

fusion

Took me 150 minutes (approx.) to install ONE, yes ONE, triple point and shim, on the Rush last Friday.
I was alone and couldn't get the ski bolt lined up. Total PITA.
Just one TP improved the handling by 50-75%.

tgun

I used a few blocks of wood to help with my TP and shims. If you can drop the ski on the wood it seems to help get things lined up easier.

F

fusion

Installed 4 sets prior and it wasn't this hard. I know all the tricks including block of wood. The shim put alot of pressure on the rubber boot and woundn't go into place.
Finally got it by shimming the back of the block of wood. Hard to explain but not looking forward to the other one. It was snowing the whole time so it P'd me off.

Hoosier

Installed 4 sets prior and it wasn't this hard. I know all the tricks including block of wood. The shim put alot of pressure on the rubber boot and woundn't go into place.
Finally got it by shimming the back of the block of wood. Hard to explain but not looking forward to the other one. It was snowing the whole time so it P'd me off.

The 1st set of shims I put on my Fusion with tripple points didn't make it difficult at all to install. I don't think they made a big difference either, so I called Bergstrom and they sent me a thicker shim. I couldn't get it back together - I didn't have much time so I just gave up on it.

F

fusion

I used the thinner shim as he had both in the kit. I don't think there's any way I could have gotten the thicker one under the rubber boot and lined the bolt up.
Where it makes a difference (shimming vs. not) is in the wear pattern on the carbide. You won't notice it all that much in handling. My stock bar had just slight wear on the front side of the carbide after about 650 miles.

snobuilder

talk to me when u hit 1800..first litmus test

What does 1800 miles show me when I get there? I am closing in on that number.
So far the new 800HO in my SB is a good motor
Ski tips shake a bit at idle and it does seem less smooth than my 4 st triples but no surprise there.
Pulls nice all the way to 100 on the meter in about 1000' on hard conditions. Avg. 13-14 mpg @ 125 mpq on oil

POLARISDAN

Ski tips shake a bit at idle and it does seem less smooth than my 4 st triples but no surprise there.
Pulls nice all the way to 100 on the meter in about 1000' on hard conditions. Avg. 13-14 mpg @ 125 mpq on oil

thats when my 13 blew up..the 12 blew at 2400

- - - Updated - - -

hey on that other thread we seem to think alike..we should ride sometime

POLARISDAN

yea..i usually do 2-3 yoop trips a season, but starting a new biz and did my one this year(unless i can team up and share some costs from MN)..but next year maybe we can time it and hook up

ezra

yea..i usually do 2-3 yoop trips a season, but starting a new biz and did my one this year(unless i can team up and share some costs from MN)..but next year maybe we can time it and hook up

U hanging up the hammer or just swinging for your self?