New sled for wife

shift08

We have narrowed it down to either a 21 xc 600 sp 129 or a 137. My question anyone have experience riding 2 up with the +1 seat on either of these sleds? This would be my wifes sled and would have to haul one of the kids about 50 percent of the time. Does the 137 come with heavier rear springs from factory? Want to keep it as comfortable as possible when there is an adult and a kid on it.

kip

This would be a great choice for here. They do not come with heavier springs but they can be installed. They are great handling sleds and durable! We've never added a 2nd seat so can't help you there. Good Luck!

maddogg

I have the older versions - think IQ. On one I added the heavier springs - but I'm 275 without gear and the kid is probably 50. For the wife's I just turned up the knob all the way.

whitedust

I know price drives what you can afford but if my wife and kid I would purchase the most comfortable 2up my wife was comfortable riding probably in the 137 “ range. Warm hands and wind protection is ultra important to 2 up riding. We were never bar hoppers more long haulers but different strokes for different folks. Imo you must be comfortable to to be happy and have a good time then the miles come naturally.

ezra

Why not a true 2 up? Beyond obvious reasons they also hold there value very well . Most have a fast back seat removel deal .

Tracker

I would look at a 4000 BLAST by cat....its perfect size for a woman to throw around and goes 65 and is a big body same as ZR CHASSIS so it has good shocks and can even b configured in a long track and it turns tight....has reverse...electric start and pull cord...and is cheap in price...its quick off the line too with good size lugs...I was looking at this one for my wife...also has a tall windshield and can put in LED headlights

20210203_111350.jpg

20210203_111356.jpg

dwz

137 is the way to go better ride and weight distribution,that model is a Excellent choice for your needs

The new Matryx sleds from Polaris have a second seat option that are very nice, lock and ride option. Worth taking a look at for sure. If you need any help with solutions feel free to give me a call here at the shop and we will do our best to answer any questions you have.
(906) 883-3536
Paul

old abe

I know price drives what you can afford but if my wife and kid I would purchase the most comfortable 2up my wife was comfortable riding probably in the 137 “ range. Warm hands and wind protection is ultra important to 2 up riding. We were never bar hoppers more long haulers but different strokes for different folks. Imo you must be comfortable to to be happy and have a good time then the miles come naturally.

Absolutely X2! "You must be comfortable"! Main item for a HAPPY WIFE so she is wanting to ride. Ah, "Happy wife, happy life, eh! Good luck !

indy_500

Why not a true 2 up? Beyond obvious reasons they also hold there value very well . Most have a fast back seat removel deal .
<br><br>
Newer 2ups are few and far between, and the new removable 2up seats for Polaris and Doo (not sure what cats offers) are excellent and comfortable options that are quickly removable and leaves you with a high performance machine for when you ride solo. Currently looking at similar sleds and debating going the same route as the OP so I can ditch the trailing arm 2up, don’t have 1st hand experience with the 2up add on, on those models, but I would lean towards the 137” over the 129”. Every little bit of suspension length helps for handling of the sled with the weight of an extra passenger. The extra length will hardly be noticeable riding solo too. For what it’s worth, My dealer has the 2 up seat options available in stock for both the axys and matryx and they put them on each sled for the little man to try. I think the matryx version is constructed a little better and he felt more comfortable as well on it. May be worth a look into the matryx chassis, as the launch edition doesn’t cost much more than an axys and the resale will be better down the road on the newer chassis.&nbsp;

Hoosier

Guy I ride with picked up a leftover 18 Cat Pantera 600 this year. He ended up taking it on a trip with us in March as he sold his main sled in February, since prices were good and he's looking at buying something new for next year. The suspension is different than a regular sled. He rode quite a bit with his kids too and is very happy with it.

old abe

Guy I ride with picked up a leftover 18 Cat Pantera 600 this year. He ended up taking it on a trip with us in March as he sold his main sled in February, since prices were good and he's looking at buying something new for next year. The suspension is different than a regular sled. He rode quite a bit with his kids too and is very happy with it.

And that Pantera has a longer skid correct? 137?

lofsfire

So here is my input...  As far as springs there a a number of choices and a good dealer will be able to help you out and explain the weight range difference. I know this because when I bought my 2000 Ski-Doo MXZ 700 the first thing I did was put the heaviest springs I could on it. Then when buying my 2015 ZR9000 I did the same thing. In both case there were about 4 spring choices with overlapping weight ranges. In my case the heaviest springs where the same part number listed for Race application and for the full true touring 2-up.  I'm a big guy and this is what felt the best to me.  Trust me my lighter weight friends said it was like trying to ride sitting on a brick. So getting the correct weight will be key. With that said, I have run an add-on 2up seat for my ZR 9000 (129") with my son since winter of 2019.<br><br>I can tell you for the most part he thinks it is comfortable. But with the 129" track you definably get the back of the school bus feeling on bumps. I would suggest the 137" (When buying mine trailer space was an issue. Not any more.) As far as his hands, they do get cold normally more towards the end of the day. Either way go with something to keep the second riders hands warm. Here are you options:<br><br>Heated hand grips wired to sled.<br><br>Heated gloves (FXR Recon) worked very well but batteries die... 2.5 to 4 hrs.  My son liked the hi setting even if he did not need it. Kids grow fast... I just made him use my 3XL gloves but they worked.<br><br>Heated glove liners. Since he was ok wearing my 3XL gloves I invested in some Men's XL FXR Fuel Gloves (Women's sizes work for small kids too)<br>1.) they are great warm glove compared to the junk made for kids.<br>2.) large enough to fit a liner inside the glove with some room.<br>3.) The glove warmth holds the heat in as well.<br>4.) Quick connect once wired to sled and rheostat temp adjustability. <br><br>The two cons with this setup are the wires and dial to adjust the temp can be hard depending on the age of the person using it.<br><br>With that said, I'm thinking of selling my setup this year. The seat would not work for you but if you interested in the glove liners and wires let me know. We have used them on only 3 trips. I bought them in summer of 2019 then had to have back surgery, so no riding for 2020. Then just used them this year. Next year my son will be on his own sled so we won't really need any of the setup anymore. Lastly, the rheostat temp adjust has dual outputs controlled independently. So you could add other heated accessory or even another set of glove liners for your wife. <br><br>One last question how many kids do you have? Another option could be an Equinox 685 Snowcoach. I did this when it was just me taking both of my boys. We went to the 2-up seat once my oldest was on his own sled. <br><br>If you have any questions feel free to ask.

shift08

So here is my input...* As far as springs there a a number of choices and a good dealer will be able to help you out and explain the weight range difference. I know this because when I bought my 2000 Ski-Doo MXZ 700 the first thing I did was put the heaviest springs I could on it. Then when buying my 2015 ZR9000 I did the same thing. In both case there were about 4 spring choices with overlapping weight ranges. In my case the heaviest springs where the same part number listed for Race application and for the full true touring 2-up.* I'm a big guy and this is what felt the best to me.* Trust me my lighter weight friends said it was like trying to ride sitting on a brick. So getting the correct weight will be key. With that said, I have run an add-on 2up seat for my ZR 9000 (129") with my son since winter of 2019.<br><br>I can tell you for the most part he thinks it is comfortable. But with the 129" track you definably get the back of the school bus feeling on bumps. I would suggest the 137" (When buying mine trailer space was an issue. Not any more.) As far as his hands, they do get cold normally more towards the end of the day. Either way go with something to keep the second riders hands warm. Here are you options:<br><br>Heated hand grips wired to sled.<br><br>Heated gloves (FXR Recon) worked very well but batteries die... 2.5 to 4 hrs.* My son liked the hi setting even if he did not need it. Kids grow fast... I just made him use my 3XL gloves but they worked.<br><br>Heated glove liners. Since he was ok wearing my 3XL gloves I invested in some Men's XL FXR Fuel Gloves (Women's sizes work for small kids too)<br>1.) they are great warm glove compared to the junk made for kids.<br>2.) large enough to fit a liner inside the glove with some room.<br>3.) The glove warmth holds the heat in as well.<br>4.) Quick connect once wired to sled and rheostat temp adjustability.*<br><br>The two cons with this setup are the wires and dial to adjust the temp can be hard depending on the age of the person using it.<br><br>With that said, I'm thinking of selling my setup this year. The seat would not work for you but if you interested in the glove liners and wires let me know. We have used them on only 3 trips. I bought them in summer of 2019 then had to have back surgery, so no riding for 2020. Then just used them this year. Next year my son will be on his own sled so we won't really need any of the setup anymore. Lastly, the rheostat temp adjust has dual outputs controlled*independently. So you could add other heated accessory or even another set of glove liners for your wife.*<br><br>One last question how many kids do you have? Another option could be an Equinox 685 Snowcoach. I did this when it was just me taking both of my boys. We went to the 2-up seat once my oldest was on his own sled.*<br><br>If you have any questions feel free to ask.

My kids are 9 and 7. So this setup would hopefully only be for a few seasons. I am liening towards the xc sp 137 or possibly a renegade 600 if I could find a 21 leftover. Still searching for a deal.

WorkHardPlayHrd

When my daughters were 12 and 13 they shared a sled (2001 Arctic Cat 370Z) for 2 rides. We bought a second sled. The number one reason was because the one that wasn't driving their hands were freezing even with hot packs. Both days were in the mid 20's. Be prepared to buy heated gloves for the child if you take this route. You want them to love the sport, not want to avoid it because they are uncomfortable.

lofsfire

Yes, comfort is the key for them to like it! Expect shorter miles in-between breaks as well. 15 miles always seemed to be a good stopping point for us maybe less if the trails are not good... also depends on the kids. I think our routes were about 90ish miles total for the day starting out. Last trip we pushed a much longer day with 12h and 45m. We rode from Krupp's in Twin Lakes to Copper Harbor covered 200 miles. My kids are 14 and 11 now.  We started out with the snowcoach then once my oldest hit 12 I moved him to a 340 and put the 1+1 seat on my sled. I just moved my oldest up to a ZR5000 and next season my youngest will be able to ride the 340 one the trails. Both start on the 120 at 4ish and had both riding the 340 for a season in my backyard. It is amassing how many mile they can put on going in a circle in a yard that is only 3/4 of and ac total!

WorkHardPlayHrd

My 13 year old got the kitty kat out because I sold 3 of the 4 120's we owned before Christmas. He cleaned out the carburetor and put new fuel in because I was looking for a better hood and was going to sell it. He then rode it enough in the yard to go through 2, 5 gallon containers of mixed fuel. I think the kitty kat was wondering what the **** happened! I asked why he wasn't riding his 600. He can pull start it on his own. He said he like dodging through the yard on the little sled. Kids.

shift08

So i ended up ordering a 2022 renegade 600r for my wife. After searching around for a leftover i think i got a pretty decent deal with a 3 year warranty vs a year old sled.