New sled. Need help deciding!

olsmann

So I'm going to buy a new sled this spring(carryover) and was all set to buy a 2010 Polaris 600 Rmk 144 . I wanted that sled because it seemed to be the best fit (with some modifications) for the riding I like to do . But friend just pointed out that for about $650 bucks more i can get a 2010 800 summitt everest 146. Im more of a Polaris guy but have owned Ski Doos. I really dont need an 800. and i already have an 09 switchback so its more convienent to have 2 of the same brand, but its tempting for only $650 bucks more? I havent been keeping up with doo 800 motors, How has everyone liked it? any probs? Im gonna convert this machine over to SOME trail riding either way so i may put a little less track on it and a few other things. Just not sure if I will kick my self later. Any info good or bad on either sled would be helpful.

Or is this an obvious no brainer?

indy_500

So I'm going to buy a new sled this spring(carryover) and was all set to buy a 2010 Polaris 600 Rmk 144 . I wanted that sled because it seemed to be the best fit (with some modifications) for the riding I like to do . But friend just pointed out that for about $650 bucks more i can get a 2010 800 summitt everest 146. Im more of a Polaris guy but have owned Ski Doos. I really dont need an 800. and i already have an 09 switchback so its more convienent to have 2 of the same brand, but its tempting for only $650 bucks more? I havent been keeping up with doo 800 motors, How has everyone liked it? any probs? Im gonna convert this machine over to SOME trail riding either way so i may put a little less track on it and a few other things. Just not sure if I will kick my self later. Any info good or bad on either sled would be helpful.

Or is this an obvious no brainer?

from what i've heard, both of those motors or pretty equally reliable. the track will have smaller lugs on the poo.

anonomoose

Why do two of same brand? Dealer?? Seems different is good sometimes.

The polaris 600 is the flagship engine for Polaris. It is one of.... if not the best 2 stroker they produce. However in an RMK 600 doesn't produce as much go power as the 800 does, and part of what you do will end up being a sales item in a few years after you decide to buy something else.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but if your switchback is a 600, I would go for the 800 to balance out your stable.

If the switcher is bigger then you can stick with the smaller engine Polaris and put the money toward gas and oil.

It's all about resale, and having versatility..where having a bigger engine can have advantages over two sleds with the same size motor.

This opinion and a dollar will get you one cup of coffee!

big_motor_guy

Why do two of same brand? Dealer?? Seems different is good sometimes.

The polaris 600 is the flagship engine for Polaris. It is one of.... if not the best 2 stroker they produce. However in an RMK 600 doesn't produce as much go power as the 800 does, and part of what you do will end up being a sales item in a few years after you decide to buy something else.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but if your switchback is a 600, I would go for the 800 to balance out your stable.

If the switcher is bigger then you can stick with the smaller engine Polaris and put the money toward gas and oil.

It's all about resale, and having versatility..where having a bigger engine can have advantages over two sleds with the same size motor.

This opinion and a dollar will get you one cup of coffee!

x2

brad460

One ride on the XP chassis and you will be grinning from ear to ear...I say Ski Doo, even if it was $1000 more..IMO

zimmbob

The Doo's have a good re-sale. And the 800 motors are desired in that type of sled. The 600 just won't get you the power to go through the really good deep snow very well. Not saying it can't, just not as good.

Keep in mind the Everest is the low end model for the Summits. The shocks are not re-buildable, which is up to you whether that's important. How often do you really think you need to replace them?? Heavier on trail riding will be tougher on them. But it's a very nice sled. The 2010 800's for Doo are fine. They've gotten rid of the crank and clutch problems as far as I've heard. I wouldn't even bother with worrying on having a shorter lug track. I ride 2 1/4 track on the trail and it's perfectly fine. Just can't put studs on it if that's important to you.... Both will have great features you will like. But as was said, the Doo is much lighter. Something you'll like when you have to move it around. Also, really floats well in the deep snow. The Doo has a 16" wide track, so it makes a bigger footprint. I also think the Doo is carb, but direct inject, and the Poo is obviously CFI. I've got Doo friends with Summits, and they love them. I've got Poo friends (and me) that have RMK's and Assaults and they love them. I think you will like either. I do see your convenience point on the same brand. One place to go, maybe Poo dealer is closer... etc.

For me, no real reason to stay away from the Doo, just consider the little things you get back here, and then decide. Good Luck and Congrats on the plan for a new sled!

olsmann

I tell you the more I keep lookin at this doo, the more hot and bothered I get by it! I DONT really have a doo dealer close at all so thats part of my hesitation. And I will be trail riding it some (UP) and unfortuntley i really like studs so was kind of thinking puttin the 1 3/8 track on with some studs down the middle,(on either sled) and do not need rebuildable shocks. I understand that its NOT a trail sled and dont expect it to perfrom like one but want to make sure it will still be ok to ride trails without hurting anything.

blutooth

For the price you can't go wrong with the Doo. The 600 Poo engines are a dime a dozen on resale, and although a 600 is great around here, if you ever do decide to head to the mountains, you will really regret the lower horsepower.

As a trail sled, the XP Summit handles great. I have had 2 146ers and have put over 1800 miles on them in the UP. With the sway bar in they handle fantastic on the trails. I would also never consider replacing the track with a shorter lug - just a waste of money in my mind. On my 146 I get average hyfax life (one set a year) and have NEVER overheated. The heat exchanger on the Summit's are HUGE for a mountain sled.

The 800 Doo motor is a standard carb motor but it does have DPM so no jetting changes are required for elevation (it does it itself via atmospheric pressure).

Probably the ONLY downside to the Doo is the lack of a close dealer. It is a little more difficult to work on things in the tight engine bay so until you get good at it you may consider taking it somewhere.

If the $650 isn't that big of a deal to you, I would jump on the Doo in a minute - you will surely get your money back at the end of the day when you sell it anyway.

Blutooth

olsmann

For the price you can't go wrong with the Doo. The 600 Poo engines are a dime a dozen on resale, and although a 600 is great around here, if you ever do decide to head to the mountains, you will really regret the lower horsepower.

As a trail sled, the XP Summit handles great. I have had 2 146ers and have put over 1800 miles on them in the UP. With the sway bar in they handle fantastic on the trails. I would also never consider replacing the track with a shorter lug - just a waste of money in my mind. On my 146 I get average hyfax life (one set a year) and have NEVER overheated. The heat exchanger on the Summit's are HUGE for a mountain sled.

The 800 Doo motor is a standard carb motor but it does have DPM so no jetting changes are required for elevation (it does it itself via atmospheric pressure).

Probably the ONLY downside to the Doo is the lack of a close dealer. It is a little more difficult to work on things in the tight engine bay so until you get good at it you may consider taking it somewhere.

If the $650 isn't that big of a deal to you, I would jump on the Doo in a minute - you will surely get your money back at the end of the day when you sell it anyway.

Blutooth

AHHH, somthing i forgot about, Does the doo come with a sway bar at all?

blutooth

Yes the Doo comes with a sway bar - I took mine out right away on the second one, but I rode a couple weekends with it in on the old one. I think the Poo has one too...

I think only the Arctic Cat M series comes sans sway bar. All others have one stock...

blutooth

sleddindoo09

You'll love the Doo. I bought a renegade XP 800R a few months ago and am happy with both the chasis and the motor. The 800 is a real arm-stretcher on the trail and the power is smooth all the way through the power band. For the money, you can't go wrong with the summit and the 800 is a monster. Pin it and grin it...do the Doo.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few guys that I know love their's, except for trying to carve with them in set up snow. That is their only complaint. The 800 will get better mileage for sure. I've gotten my 07 600 155 rmk back to getting 10 mpg again. LOL.

MR.HAPPY

I've heard & seen many Doos with 800s towed in from the motors blown over the last 4-5 years! My buddy had one of them! I'm not just talking 1 or 2, I'm talking dozens!

I wouldn't have one if it was $650 cheaper!!!

Good luck on your choice!

olsmann

I've heard & seen many Doos with 800s towed in from the motors blown over the last 4-5 years! My buddy had one of them! I'm not just talking 1 or 2, I'm talking dozens!

I wouldn't have one if it was $650 cheaper!!!

Good luck on your choice!

newer ones like 08+ or older?

MR.HAPPY

Heard of several with less than 500 miles on them! Over the last few years many times We have been sitting in a bar or food stop & seen & heard guys talking about them or their buddy just blowing up one of their 800 Doos! Seen many on the trail too!

indy_500

A few guys that I know love their's, except for trying to carve with them in set up snow. That is their only complaint. The 800 will get better mileage for sure. I've gotten my 07 600 155 rmk back to getting 10 mpg again. LOL.

i've read that the doo's are hard to carve. 10 mpg is pretty good, i got about 6 mpg today with my dad's 700 busting trail the whole time