New TV

bobmath

My wife, Diane, and I are in the market for a new set. We have a 16 yr. old "Zenith" that is giving up on us. We looked at "Best Buy", yesterday, and the salesmen said that "Samsung" was the best value for the buck. Anyone have a opinion on this? Also researching viewing distance , the "guides" recommended either a 48" or a 72", starting at the low end up to the higher end. However, our budget, puts us into the 40" to 46" range. We sit 12' away from the area where the TV would sit. Obviously, wouldn't it be cool to have the larger of the two
happy.gif
I've always have had super advice in the "tech" part of the discussion board section, hopefully you'll have some tips. Thaank-you in advance.

Bob M.

slimcake

Just bought a toshiba 62" hd 1080i used from a guy for 200 bucks. Its not a "flat screen" but still very nice set and only 3 years old. I have a couple of toshiba computers as well and have no complaints. Good luck, but try to find a used one on craigslist or something and save yourself a lot of coin.

doospunk

I too have a Toshiba. It's a 40" HD 1080i with three HDMI ports. I was leaning toward Samsung originally, but saw my tv mounted on the wall right next to the Samsung, and really could not see any difference in picture quality. It was about 2 to 300 less than the Samsung, and when asked, the sales rep said they've had some good success with the Toshiba so far. Not as many sales, as the Samsung, but they'd had no issues with people who purchased the Toshiba. I went with it, and am happy I did. It's everything I expected and wanted thus far. Good luck.

ezra

I have a 42 samsung 1080 lcd in my bedroom I am about 12 ft away watching love it! the olny bad part about it is like I sed it is in my bed room and when you turn it off or set the sleep timer it has a loud ring tone kinda thing that wakes you up when it turs off.there is prob a setting for that but that would require me reading a phonebook size manual not going to happen.I think I payed less than 700 about 2yrs ago with 0% for 18 mo.

catcrazy

We have a Vizio and it is awsome no problems and considerably cheaper at the time, and it has hardly beem turnrd off in a year with somebody always watchin it

nitroman

<font color="ff0000">Optoma projector here. 93" screen couch is 14' back nascar never looked better!</font>

cdsprague

I have a 52" LCD Mitsubishi and love it. I had a Hitachi before and would not get another one. It had a lot of problems.

ezra

you say the guide sed you need a 48 to 72 come on how big was your last set ?20 32 36?who do you think wrote the guide I would guess someone who makes or sells tv,s what do you think.get what you can afford. if you dont get HD the bigger you go the worse the pick.I have about 1/2 my channels not HD the pick is ok to good but in HD it is great.also my samsung has olny 1 tunner when I bought it the guy told me it had pip or split screen I assumed [yes I know what assume stands for] that that was a built in thing untill I git it home and found out you need to have a accesory tuner like in a old vcr or you can watch a dvd and football.but not nascar and football. that sucks so I still have my laptop on nascar during football season

redrev

buy a new one!! i tried the used route and now i wish i saved thast money for a new one. spent 800 on 65" mitsubishi and now i have to get up and hit back of tv for it be be a clear pic.

skidoolis

32 inch Toshiba awesome so far as a matter of fact all my electronic have been Toshiba good quality stuff good luck with your purchase

eao

I have 2 Vizio LCD flat panels and they have been flawless. It was the best buy that I could find. I got mine at Walmart, only place around here with selection.

booondocker

Redrev says, <font color="0000ff">"buy a new one!! .... and now i have to get up and hit back of tv for it be be a clear pic."</font>

Why don't yah, just spit on the back of it...used to work in the 1930's with radio....:)

The new 46" 240 hz LED Television from Samsung is simply unbelievable. The picture is amazing, however the sound from the speakers are ok, so a surround sound is needed. Awesome television, one of the best on the market in my opinion.

2buckchuck

1) never buy a TV you can't afford!
2) bigger is almost always better
happy.gif

3) The average TV watcher cannot tell the difference between 1080I and 1080P
4) current signals cannot utilize the 240 hz refresh rate that new TV's have (some day maybe)
5) The best TV in the world isn't worth a damn if it isn't configured for the right lighting, viewing angle, etc of your specific space
6) Get the biggest TV you can afford.

polarisrider1

I recommend A 60" Panisonic Plasma. Sears will beat any bodys price. Sign up for their card and get another 10% off the lowest price. Sears beat Curcuit Citys going out of business price for me and I got the 10% additional off. SWEEET!!! We are talking get the biggest you can fit in the house. I had to remove the front door and frame to get the old projection tv out of the house. Wife got a new door.

brad

I've got a 42" Samsung flat screen HD LCD here at my camp, and it's the best picture I've seen. My signal is DirecTV dish. I've had it for 3 years and it's performed flawlessly.

swanee

Can't go wrong with a Samsung or a Sony. 2buckchuck pretty much nailed it. Make sure that you also look into a Blu Ray player that also will upconvert your DVD's to 1080i. When you get that Blu Ray try to get the same brand as the t.v., helps with the remote.

If you don't have a receiver yet and external speakers to complete your theatre experience, consider it in your near future. Almost all of the Flat Screens produced these days have sub-par built in speakers.

One more thing that is great about Best Buy, if you have a membership to Costco or Sam's Club they will match the price on the same model. Oh and stay far far away from anything Insignia that they sell.

Also if you can wait a couple more months the prices are going to drop again before the Christmas rush begins. There is also some new stuff coming from Samsung later this year in the Blu Ray department.