Non-current "new" sleds

ezra

in 07 I payed 6250 for a 06 xfire7sp on sat I payed 4300 out the door for a new 04f7ext picking up this weekend.I may alredy have it sold for 350 more

ezra

thomas snosports is selling 07f8 s for 5995and 06 xf6 for4995 and 07 f1000 sp for 6700not a poo but a comp on non current sleds

sr22ger

I picked up an 07 F8 with all the updates by the dealer for 6200 last October, so 5995 isn't terrible for the 07 ezra.

My sled was great for me last year, only about 1400 miles, but it fit my riding for a good 3500 less than a new one.

And yeah, the comment about it becoming a used 07 as soon as you put miles on it is true, but you also have to realize that a lot of the first year or two of depreciation came off the sled when it is bought left over, so the hit isn't nearly as bad as a current year sled becoming a used year old sled.

catcrazy

I bought a brand new 02 Polaris in 05 and never have had an issue with the sled it has never had to be in the dealer other than routine maint.

oldguy

kurtzo9, I don't really notice much differance in milage between the CFI and the carb. The CFI will run better in all temps. The carb is a tiny bit slower. The CFI has a better speedo, tach. I would still stay away from CFI if you had a choice. FYI, I just sold my 07 IQ CFI for $3300.00, but it had close to 7,000 miles on it.

marty__kms

Does it strike any of you as odd that some sled manufactures overproduce so many sleds that there are still new 2006 models still available during the 2010 model year? Or on the flip side, what about the struggling dealer and the thousands of dollars he lost on the sale. Well at least the manufacture could report good sales and profits back in 06’.

dcsnomo

Marty-
For the most part I think these are not dealer inventory sleds, but manufacturer inventory sleds. Dealers only re-order when their initial inventory sells. If it doesn't sell, the manufacturer sits on the remaining inventory.

The glut of sleds is in the manufacturers' inventory, thus the manufacturer records no sale until the unit is shipped to a dealer. When the manufacturer reduces the wholesale such that dealers will order (auction, closeout) then the sale is made.
These sleds are closed out to the dealers, who then sell them at a profit to us.
True, if a dealer paid full wholesale on a sled and still has it 3 years later when the manufacturer closes it out he will probably get stung.

Overproduction is caused by bad sales forecasting and does not result in any "good sales and profits in 06" because the sled went on the books as full cost inventory, and is now worth much less because of the closeout.

marty__kms

Not to argue the point, but…

Manufactures record the sale the second the inventory ships to the dealer, the dealer sits on the inventory that doesn’t sell.

Glut of sleds in manufactures inventory are typically repossessed units from dealers who have gone out of business or dealers who are persistent enough to have mfg pick–up inventory when they discontinue relationship with that particular brand.

Sled are sold from this glut of inventory at a great discount however, they are usually the wholesaled to the “mega-dealer, factory wholesale outlet store” who generally could care less about service, instruction or support of the consumer.

Your local small dealer is stuck competing against the wholesale store the difference is the small dealer was forced to buy the 06’ @ $8000.00 then he sits with it in inventory for four years while paying $50.00 a month in interest. While in the meantime, the manufacture wholesales at truckload prices to the mega dealer this “repo” inventory for 25-50% off the original dealer price. The mega dealer then advertises on the internet and loyal sled enthusiast from near and far flock to buy. The question that remains is what about the little dealer with that unit in inventory now at a cost of $9800.00 who now has to sell at $5995.00 to be price competitive.

Food for thought, I wonder how the “Wall-Mart” type mega dealer will treat you service time because the smaller dealers eventually do/will go away and depending on where you ride this will turn into an issue some day.

Not to get on my horse here but as you can tell it is a sore subject with all dealers, trust me.

zrjes

Marty is correct, most of these sleds come from defunct dealers. I know Cat buys them back and auctions them off to other dealers. These sleds used to sit in Cats "salvage yard" outside TRF uncovered in the Rain, sleet, snow, etc.... then they would eventually be sold. People would wonder why some looked pretty ratty...thats why

Back in the day when Marty @ KMS sold Cat, I was looking at Country Cat as well (They do grab your attention with the prices). I ended up working a deal with Marty, paying a little more than country cat, but ultimately very happy with the entire transaction. I strongly believe in buying where you ride, because that dealer is the one who will get you on the trail ASAP when things go wrong. Thanks Marty, The wife still loves that Green M6!

Stack

marty__kms

Stack,

Yeah, I kind of went on a rant with my previous entry, sorry all...

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback it is appreciated more than you may think.

Marty

legend02

marty_kms,

Thanks for letting me know last fall who still had the 08 model I was looking for. I appreciated it, still haven't made by your shop, but will next time I'm in Houghton.