Non-current "new" sleds

kurtz09

Does anyone have any experience good or bad buying non-current sleds that are left over from the dealerships? I am looking at a 2007 600 IQ. I had a co-worker tell me that these sleds that are held over can have a lot of issues. Any advice?

xcr440

Only suggestion is to check on any updates they were "supposed" to have, and be sure the dealer did them while they were sitting in their inventory. Usually there are some smokin' deals to be had on these.

booondocker

This doesn't make sense. Any hold over sold thru a dealer would have the BENEFIT of having had the previous year issues addressed and fixed before even leaving the shop. So why would hold overs have any less value or worth to a customer who waited to "see" what happens to the next generation of sleds?

In other words, don't be scared of your shaddow....not going to bight you. As xcr says, just be sure that the work was done...and remember that the warrantee is still there and good for a whole year.

I doubt Polaris wants sleds with issues rolling out the door because doing so simply means greater cost to repair the problems once it does get on the snow.

S

skylar

There were some issues with the 07's. But as xcr440 pointed out, make sure the dealer did the updates, and you should be good to go. I have 5200 miles on my 07 600(carb) RMK. The updates that had to be done to it were, replaced intake boots, and new gas tank, and I think that was it. It has been trouble free, and very reliable.

dcsnomo

I recently purchased a 2007 holdover at half price, amazing deal. My local dealer (who did not have the sled) told me that manufacturers have auctions to sell leftover new inventory and that amazing deals can be had. His only caution was to make sure the selling dealer has performed the service bulletin work. Since these sleds are new in crates and storage, the dealer does not open the crates, service the sleds, and put them back. The service should be done when the sled is uncrated and prepped for delivery. A check of the serial number will determine what has been done. As to warranty, I have noticed, with my sled and others, that one way to offset the price reduction by the manufacturer is to reduce the warranty to 90 days, beginning Dec 1 2009.

While my new sled still sits in the garage with zero miles on it and 80 degree temps I think I got an amazing deal. Will find out soon!

famousguy

Held over sleds are a great deal if all the updates are done.

Just make sure that you get a great deal. While a 2007 is still in the crate, it is not "new" as the dealer would have you believe. It is an unused 3 year old sled.

That being said, they can be a great deal, just make sure you dicker well on it and make sure you get a huge mark down from the sticker price.

rakins800

X2 on everyones points-
in 06 I bought a 2004 edge classic 800 with all the bells and whistles. a two yr. old "new sled".
great deal at 5600 dollars,but the warranty was VOID.sled listed for $9799. the only glitch was the service dept. was borrowing parts off it for two yrs. a few parts had to be replaced,and the dealer popped for all to keep me as a customer.
good thing i checked it all over before the first trip.go over EVERY INCH of the sled as if you are buying used with 6,000 miles on it.dont take anything for granted because you think its new. IMHO

famousguy

rakins800 Good point.... I have seen dealers use these left over sleds as parts sleds, and many times when they do sell them, they will have parts on them that are not what originally came on the sled.

classic_rider

I have purchased my last 2 sleds as leftovers
great deal, new sled and full waranty, plus all updates were done before i picked up the sled..

legend02

I bought a leftover 08 last season and out the door with taxes, registration, spare belt, cover, spare plugs it was still cheaper by a few hundred than the best price I could get on a 09. I was told by the dealer that he did all the updates and also got the three year engine waranty.

ezra

I have never not bought a noncurrent.I am picking up another this weekend a 04 f7ext new in the crate for 4300 out the door should make a great 2nd sled .after a noncurrent hits 3 yrs old cat will olny warrenty for 90 days after 1st ridable snow .what ever if you get 200 mi with no probs you will prob get 2000 with no probs.a bud just picked up a 04 f7 non DD from another dealer he got it for 4k I think that makes 5 03 or 04 f7 for him now.

rev500

I bought two 2003 Skidoo 500 Grand Touring sleds from a dealer in 2004. They have been great. I had my first problem just this year afer 5000 miles on each. A ring spun and ended up catching on the power valve. Other than that there have been no problems.

oldguy

The thing to remember about non-currents is as soon as you put miles on a new 07 it becomes a used 07. I have purchased many new non-currents over the years. Keeping them a long time or putting on a bunch of miles seemed to get the most value. By the way the 2007 IQ carbureted like Sklyar mentioned is a great bullet proof sled. The CFI IQ in 2007 needed 1 more year of development, although I have a 07 IQ CFI that hasn’t burned down in several years after the updates.

fz583

I bought a 2006 F7 this past january, dealer was asking 7000, I offered 5000 and they took it so I would say I got a smoking deal, 3700 off the cost 3 years ago, just inquire about the warrenty, when it starts, ends, or if it has already started before it was even sold. All updates have to be done by a dealer before they can legally sell a sled, just double check to make sure. Left over sleds are where its at if you can find the sled you really want. I got lucky, I found the sled and color and only 20 miles from my house.

mnman309

I agree with everyone and make sure you get all of the updates done on it especially the fuel mapping re-flash if its a 600CFI. I have a 06 Fusion 600HO that the only thing I had issues with was the chaincase leaked and I broke the front torque arm at 4800 miles. I fixed the chaincase with the update kit and then ran a bead of Ultra Grey RTV on the bottom half of the chaincase cover and the front torque arm is a fortune so for the price of it I bought an entire 2nd suspension from TracksUSA and installed it all in one. Hasnt leaked since and now I have 6000 miles on it and it has a new rear suspension and I have 2 sets of rear shocks for it! The suspension was a take off

Its for sale and I would put it up to a 300+ mile day in the UP right now, if we had snow. Selling it as I was on the recieving end of a killer deal for a 08 Nytro RTX Anniversary Edition this last March as a carry over.

updates needed are: Gas tank, chaincase update and Fuel Map reflash.

kurtz09

Thanks for the responses guys. I have the option of either getting the CFI version or HO IQ.

What kind of MPG difference are people getting with the CFI vs HO?

The CFI is listed at $6200 and the HO at $5200.

What would you guys recommend?

rakins800

I think I'd go for the carb version. jet it down 2 or 3 sizes after about 500 miles.then it should be snappy. good luck.

ezra

for a 06 600 $6200 in a slow year in the summer is a bit steep I would get my cammel trader hat on and go back and barter offer 5500 he may bite if you are ready to buy.if he got at auction he payed no more than 4500.