Off trail riding for the inexperienced 101

harski

Been a trail only rider since I began snowmobiling in the late 90's and have never ventured off trail due to the fact of being uncertain of the conditions, terrain, snow depth, map reading etc. I've always been curious to give it a try but would like to hear from the experience riders on what I could expect. I guess what I would like to know what the diffence would be in taking fire or logging roads only vs true boondocking (power lines/brush). What hazards could I run into ie; downed logs, streams, trail ends? I understand that track/lug length and CC's can make a difference too so if you would throw out your opinions on that too I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any input!

Harski

jd

Administrator
Staff member
First off, there's no trail signs, so it's INSANELY DANGEROUS!

Sorry, just could not resist. :p

Really, I think it's best to go out with someone both familiar with the area and who has some good experience in off trail riding. Not a lot to learn new, but what there is, is pretty important and helpful. Most of the learning comes from watching and experience. That's how I learned anyway. I'm sure you will get some good advice from folks that learned it on their own and are willing to share their tips.

-John

sixball

" First off, there's no trail signs, so it's INSANELY DANGEROUS! ";) Ha, Ha....

One thing many first timers do is hit the little bumps in the snow. If you see a small bump try not to go over its Likely a stump, rock, more often then not something you do not want to hit. Look out further in front try to have a plan where you want to go.
Like John said try to get out with someone for a few times.
Don't go alone! You are going to get STUCK!!!!!

harski

First off, there's no trail signs, so it's INSANELY DANGEROUS!

Sorry, just could not resist. :p

Oh brother! :rolleyes:

I for sure would not go out alone at any time and would try to recruit some experienced riders to take me out a time or two first to see if I even like it. I also thought about investing in a GPS if this is something I'll be doing more of. I don't need a GPS for the trails but I would think it would help for offtrail in case I get lost. Maybe that's the purpose? :)

Harski

ezra

don't really need maps for just starting off just hit some state forests and hit some logging roads and twin tracks you will find lots of dead ends that is when you learn how to peg it and do u turns in 9ft or less or your first lesson in tight tree riding.first rule don't stop and when you do get stuck or stop don't give it full gas try and crawl out slow track spin is not your friend .
heck my first time leaving the trail in the UP was on a 121 Ultra with a 1 in the next trip up was same sled with a 1 3/4 121 the next yr 136 stuck with the 136 thing for yrs then on to the 151.
did not start really exploring till I hired a guide got to be buds with him and trying to keep up with a guy who rides almost every day teaches you allot and lets you know how good you think you are is a pure delusional state of mind.
I say get some time on logging roads etc get comfortable for a trip or 2 then hire a guide or some one who knows the area with permission to ride the good stuff.
but be warned I would rather sit at home and watch tv than go and ride mi and mi or rail grade any more.don't know what I am going to do when I cant go deep any more

whitedust

Buy a map & start riding FRS good to have a buddy but I did it alone but just me. Take the map & make all rights or all lefts this way easy to ride in 18 miles or so so then backtrack & reverse all rights or all lefts. When FR #s change numbers make a note in note book I used a record day paper book & ball point pen. I always had an objective that I was trying to accomplish like if I take FR#s then I should pop out here & join up with trail# whatever about here. Sometimes it works slick as can be sometimes just find cool places to ride but can't get exactly where you want without ditch banging more that you thought.

As far as boondocking the backwoods get someone with experince to help you out no fun getting stuck & no doubt you will get stuck. Also follow his lines no use hitting stuff under the snow that you can avoid.

All & all a lot of fun & nice distraction from trails when too much traffic & want to get away from hub bub but be prepared to be self efficient stuff happens out there. After awhile trail imprint kicks in & you just ride no maps necessary. Have fun nothing ventured nothing gained & there is always a way just think & do no halfcocked BS out there.:)

Last edited:

shore007

All good examples for your off trail adventures... I'll add 1 more, you will break something when you are off trail riding, maybe not the first time but it will happen. Make sure you have you have buddies that can get you back to the trailer. You will have some of your best riding experiences off trail, however, if your concerned about breaking something I wouldn't go off trail. GPS is a must have!

Last edited:

packerlandrider

I am in no way an experienced off trail rider, but just want to throw out some of the things I did as well as reinterate some of the things mentioned above.

First off, I love maps, love knowing where I am and sort of where I am going (sometimes doesn't really apply to off trail riding); when trail riding if I wasn't leading I was still considered the "navigator." So when i started looking into off trail riding, I got myself a platbook and used alot of the maps off of the MiDNR website (especially topo). This allows you to see where possible riding locations are, both in the "permission" sense and "landscape" sense. For me, just starting out and since I don't have a true mountain sled (Renegade), I also use Google Maps areal views to scout areas with a large amount of forest roads that may not show up on some of the maps.

To me, riding partners are a must, whether experenced or inexperienced. If they're experienced, then you just follow and try to soak up as much as you can. Inexperienced riders, just find somewhere on the maps you would like to try riding, go cruise around and see what you find.

I think a GPS would be a very efficient tool, did not really use one last year, but am planning on this year. Doesn't have to be anything special, just give you coordinates that you can get a general sense of where you are on a map and get your bearings again.

blkhwkbob

Sounds like a pain. I'm 48 years old ond the last thing I want to do is dig my sled out of a hole. I'll stick to trails, but to each his own.

whitedust

Sounds like a pain. I'm 48 years old ond the last thing I want to do is dig my sled out of a hole. I'll stick to trails, but to each his own.

Good point for sure!!!! Not for everyone & 1st time usually not good for the umprepared novice. You have to WANT to do this & 1st time for me was on heavy mule 98 doo F3700 & a huge mistake looking for deeper snow well I found it & busted my butt getting out. Lucky for me a lumberjack came by with snowshoes & helped me out. You learn quickly that lite & long track is the only way to go. Today I have no interest whatsoever in 121s not good even for trails. 136 & up tracks with min HP 145 only sleds I consider.

cuzzinolaf

Hesitation is your enemy and the throttle is your friend is the first thing you need to realize. I understand with confidence you don't hesitate as much but you really can't be scared of getting stuck and just shut down if you're gonna hit a tree, stump, rock, etc.

The next thing I would say is learn to carve and sidehill first. Once you are pretty good at those two things the rest just comes with experience.

Don't go out alone, don't go out with someone who can't help you get a sled unstuck, and don't go anywhere that you don't know if you're supposed to.

If you wan to find the best riding I would suggest the Mohawk area. :p

L

lenny

keep the Yamaha's out of the deep, they have a mind of their own.

whitedust

I thought Nyto XTX was Ok for all off trail ..... my Attak can you say trench!! Ok for trails & unplowed forest roads with no more than 15" but a boondocking mismatch & would not take it in the ultra deep.

L

lenny

I had a mtn lite and rode an xtx but still way to front end heavy always fighting it wanting to dive down to the low side. You can ride them but they wear you out fast, than you get on a xfire, rmk, gade or the like and it's like,,,"wow,,,why did I wait so long to try this"

I thought Nyto XTX was Ok for all off trail ..... my Attak can you say trench!! Ok for trails & unplowed forest roads with no more than 15" but a boondocking mismatch & would not take it in the ultra deep.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Use common sense.
2. If you are afraid to break something, off trail is not for you, even if you are riding down a two track you could drift to the edge of the two track and hit a stump or rock. Breaking something is part of it.
3. When off trail in deep pow, get your azz off the seat and lean the sled around corners, once you learn how to do it, it is a blast. There is a reason why we are standing up.
4. If you cannot reach your bars comfortably when standing up, time to put in a riser. Nothing sucks more than being hunched over trying to ride off trail.
5. GPS is probably a good idea, especially if you don't have a good sense of direction. I don't use one, never have, at least in da yoop.
6. If you are on a logging road, and it starts getting narrower, it is probably going to dead end, but ya never know until you get there.
7.If you come across guy in the woods with bent handlebars or a busted steering post, it is probably cuzzinolaf.
8. Arctic Cats like trees more than others.
9. Go to the JD ride in, and sign up for an off trail ride, then you can determine if you like it or not.
10. Have fun, and I dare you to wipe the grin off your face.